Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,993 Global Posts

Default SwirlyMMS

Okay, I'm confuzzled here. How in the living hades do you get this to work? I've read that ATT doesn't allow it, but the app wouldn't be here for the iPhone if it didn't work.

Once I boot up and get a choice of settings for it, but none work. This actually does work, right?

Does it work with the iPhone on ATT Wireless or what?
    iMore Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
    Okay, I'm confuzzled here. How in the living hades do you get this to work? I've read that ATT doesn't allow it, but the app wouldn't be here for the iPhone if it didn't work.
    AT&T is not the only carrier the iPhone works on, as a matter of fact they are only an official carrier in the USA.

Once I boot up and get a choice of settings for it, but none work. This actually does work, right?

Does it work with the iPhone on ATT Wireless or what?
    I can tell you it is possible, I'm on AT&T and it works for me, I suggest you read some of the AT&T threads at the swirlyspace forums and try some of those.

What worked for me, was to have a friend that worked in an AT&T corporate store switch me to a regular messaging plan, rather than an iphone messaging plan, after the change was noted in the OLAM, I rebooted my phone and all the auto settings in swirly worked send and receive. I later switched to the unlimited family plan and it still works.

I had a friend that had the family messaging plan before she bought her iPhone, since there was nothing to do to her messaging when she bought it, MMS was never disabled and swirly worked for her out of the box, without having to make any calls or change anything on her plan.
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts

http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/1468078-post4.html

Or like mentioned above - if you are on another plan say a Blackberry plan with unlimited texts. That will work as long as you stay on that plan.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,993 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shutter View Post
    AT&T is not the only carrier the iPhone works on, as a matter of fact they are only an official carrier in the USA.

I can tell you it is possible, I'm on AT&T and it works for me, I suggest you read some of the AT&T threads at the swirlyspace forums and try some of those.

What worked for me, was to have a friend that worked in an AT&T corporate store switch me to a regular messaging plan, rather than an iphone messaging plan, after the change was noted in the OLAM, I rebooted my phone and all the auto settings in swirly worked send and receive. I later switched to the unlimited family plan and it still works.

I had a friend that had the family messaging plan before she bought her iPhone, since there was nothing to do to her messaging when she bought it, MMS was never disabled and swirly worked for her out of the box, without having to make any calls or change anything on her plan.
    I didn't realize there were two types of messaging plans...
    App and photo editor

Global Posts
    1,466 Global Posts

Yeah, I recently broke my iPhone out of jail and was looking forward to some MMS not realized all the AT&T messaging plan business. I've just decided it's not worth it.
    iMore Pro

I think "worth" is a relative term. For the amount of time I spent on it...it was definitely worth it, I haven't had to train my friends to send me mms messages to my email address, and I don't have to ask them who their carrier is so I can send them messages. If I were you I would consider all the possibilities and familiarize myself with the process of sending and receiving mms via email. Mine was easy to get working, but I wouldn't spend the time some people have to avoid the inconvenience of the email method.

Prior to using swirly, I used the white pages app (free in the app store) to do reverse look ups on my friends cell numbers to get their carrier info (worked for about 80%) and was going to send them all a message with instructions on adding my mobile email to their contacts list and sending mms messages to my email. Fortunately swirly worked for me before I had to send the message.

So decide if you want to spend any time on it and if not...know that there are other alternatives.
    Last edited by shutter; 02-21-2009 at 03:14 PM.
    iPhone Newbie

i never got that to work.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,993 Global Posts

Well, I figure that most smart phones have email people just use that to send jokes and stuff on. It's what I use.