Jailbreaking iPhone 3g 2.2 - TROUBLE

Jigga

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Hey everyone; I am trying to jailbreak my iPhone 3G and then eventually unlock it. I'd love to say that I'm having problems unlocking it, but unfortunately I haven't made it that far. I have tried using both Quickpwn and Pwntools (I run a MacBook, Mac OSX 10.5.6. and the latest iTunes version).

Quickpawn ends up with error 2001 when iTunes tries to restore the firmware.

Pwntools ends up with error 21 when trying to restore the firmware in iTunes.

I have tried both ways several times and had to reset the phone to factory settings several times. I have followed all the step by step instructions, but something is creating problems. I have found that there was an issue with OSX 10.5.6. and putting your iPhone or iPod into DFU mode so I have taken care of that too - I really don't know what is causing my iTunes not to recognize the iPhone.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Neo6486

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
I was having a similar problem when I was jailbreaking my 2.2. What seemed to have solved the problem for me was downloading a fresh copy of the iPhone firmware from the Apple Server.

To do this, first delete the firmware that is already on your computer (I'm not sure where the file is on OSX, but it was a hidden file on Vista). Then, click restore after plugging iPhone into iTunes. It will ask you if you agree (or something like that). Click OK. The firmware will begin to download. Before iTunes has a chance to restore iPhone, eject it. Then, try to jailbreak again using the new firmware that you just downloaded.

This worked for me even though the firmware that I already had on my computer was the same firmware (version number and all) that I downloaded fresh.

Good luck! :)

Jigga

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Thanks

Thanks for the tip. I tried that but unfortunately no luck :(

Any other ideas what I might work? Switching computers maybe?:confused:

reyza

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Re-install itunes, try a different USB port, use a different computer. Different computer is probably the easiest and most probable to solve the issue.

Jigga

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Frustration sets in...

This is getting rather frustrating now. Instead of my MacBook I used a Windows XP machine. Freshly installed iTunes on it and tried jailbreaking the iPhone using that machine; unfortunately no luck...I get error 1604 now...tried different USB ports and everything. I'm getting close to throwing this iPhone at the wall to see if that maybe fixes it :eek:

melwan

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Ok, OSX 10.5.6 will prevent the iPhone from getting jailbroken. Use a USB hub (ex. Belkin) to connect your iPhone (rather than direct connection) and it will work as a way around the problem.

Did you try restoring in iTunes first? If not, give it a shot. Restore in iTunes as a new device (not from a backup). Then, BEFORE you sync any data including Apps, try jailbreaking it (you will be able to sync your data and Apps afterwards).

Let me know if this helps and remember: a direct USB connection with 10.5.6 will prevent you from jailbreaking (use a USB hub).

evochew

Jan 18, 2009
Visit site
after i downloaded the quickpwn, it eventually could not open even i try few other location to download it, is there any workable link or website that i could downloaded it and jail break/ thanks

fatelove

Jan 16, 2009
Visit site
I used a USB hub and that enabled me to restore the iphone but when i tried to restore with the custom firmware created by Pwnage, it gives me error 1600. Please help!! I've been fussing with this for the entire day...

Ok, OSX 10.5.6 will prevent the iPhone from getting jailbroken. Use a USB hub (ex. Belkin) to connect your iPhone (rather than direct connection) and it will work as a way around the problem.

Did you try restoring in iTunes first? If not, give it a shot. Restore in iTunes as a new device (not from a backup). Then, BEFORE you sync any data including Apps, try jailbreaking it (you will be able to sync your data and Apps afterwards).

Let me know if this helps and remember: a direct USB connection with 10.5.6 will prevent you from jailbreaking (use a USB hub).

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I love how several different people jump in on one someone's thread and ask questions and provide even more issues to distract from the original issue. :eek:

Read. Read. Read. Simply follow the instruction and all other text available in these guides and instructions such as the one provided with here on TiPB! It will tell you what works, what doesn't, known issues etc.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner