unlocked 2.0.2 iphone 3g, how to jailbreak

pcharouz

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I recieved an unlocked 2.0.2 firmware iphone 3g, it works with any normal sim (tested ATT 3g, and O2 3g in europe)

I am scared that if I update to 2.2 it will break the unlock, should I be worried about this? I have no idea on how it is unlocked, since i could not find any info on unlocking the iphone 3g via software.

Could someone point me in the right direction? I've been a WM user for a very long time, and I just though I would try what all the fuzz about the iphone is, but my experience with the 2.0.2 firmware are very bad, it crashes more than WM! and I cant even tether my internet connection...

Will this work? How To: Jailbreak iPhone 2.2 (Preserving Baseband) - Mac OS X Edition | The iPhone Blog
I really dont want to break the unlock, but I hate that I cant even install a bunch of apps from the appstore since they require 2.1.
Is there anything similar as above for windows? I have a friend with a macbook, but I have a windows pc.

off-topic: is there any way to have gmail set up as push email?

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I would not do a thing until you figure out how your phone was unlocked. Where did you purchase the phone? And right now there is no way to get gmail to push.

pcharouz

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
it came from o2-CZ, but there is no way of figuring out how it was unlocked, I am thinking it was unlocked officialy with the unlock code from o2. And thanks for the reply

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yeah if you want to update a official unlocked phone you should have no problems. Just update via iTunes then and all should be well.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I don't think it will update the baseband knowing that your phone is officially unlocked. For jailbreaking you would use the latest QuickPwn for Windows.

pcharouz

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
or is there any way I could back up my current firmware/baseband if something goes wrong?

edit: I updated and everything went fine, I also jailbreaked with quickpwn, thanks for all your help!

Last edited: