So i Jailbroke my iPhone....

iphonemilk

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Hey everyone?

Having never done it before I will say it is an easy process.

Here?s my few QUICK thoughts on the whole thing.
- I had to do it twice, the first time after having it jailbroken for 2 hours completely locked up and I had to restore it from scratch again?.
- The App stability over all is pretty bad, several of the MAIN featured apps have crashed and closed out several times. However? to give them credit when they work? They are amazing!
- To speak on the last point? Apps like Snapture is TRULY amazing? and Winterboard? and ToneFX. I get to modify my SMS text sounds and everything?
Overall I think I?m going to stay jailbroken because honestly? there?s some Real cool stuff here, Snapture alone has me sold it?s an amazing New way to take pictures? you have to see really it?s kinda like what the Normal official camera app SHOULD have been?. And being able to change around my themes and stuff is really cool.

I just wish it was a bit more stable?.

tuna

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
One problem I found with jailbreaking is the native app crashing with Winterboard. I've had a few different themes and when using Safari, for example, I have crashed almost at random multiple times. I've been jailbroken for a month +, and this is the worst problem I've had yet. And it wasn't enough for me to stop using Cydia. Favorite app so far? Tie between Winterboard and Cycorder.

spsands

Sep 10, 2008
www.twitter.com
definitely do a restart after jailbreaking... vastly improved mine. also, some of the apps do cause some sluggishness, I tend to install one at a time just in case I notice some bugs etc. that way I know what caused it.

and another thing, my wifes iphone was crashing constantly, I found out that even though she had several gb available on the phone, her mail and hundreds of sms texts that she never cleaned up caused her phone to be buggy and slow. We deleted a bunch of emails and sms and it worked waaay faster. I suspect that the email/sms messages are stored in a diff part of the hd than the music/media.

tuna

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Did that happen with archived e-mails, or ones that were in your inbox? I'll do anything to make mine faster. Not that I have any problems, I just want to be fast :)

spsands

Sep 10, 2008
www.twitter.com
well we deleted archived and unarchived and alot of each. She had two email accounts with settings on both to show 100 messages I think. So it could be either. I check and delete my email and SMS constantly and have had very few times I felt the phone was sluggish.

Blackangel13

Oct 17, 2008
Visit site
well i've yet to have been able to get my phone jailbroke and welcome to my problems my safari will randomly crash anyways and its not jailbroken, and some apps will do the same thing.

RedDevil#IM

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
Please advise

Hi all, I'm new to the whole iPhone thing so I have a few questions ... if anyone would mind trying to answer them for me please.

Firstly, if I jailbreak my iphone and something goes wrong later, is there any way of restoring the unit before taking it back to my service provider or Apple to have it "repaired". My understanding is that if a phone has been "jail broken" all warrenty's are voided and no one will touch the phone again. ie. when I "hack / cracked my PSP I could restore the unit to a "normal" firmware and Sony was non the wiser and did my repairs for me ... does jail breaking work the same way??

Secondly, if my iphone is "jail broken" will I still be able to sync with iTunes and add apps from the istore or would I have to do my syncing with something like iTouch or similar instead?

Thirdly, if I opt not to jailbreak my iPhone, how do I add apps from a non iTunes web site (is this even possible?).

..... I think that should do it for now... if anyone could help me with this I'd appreciate it greatly?

justme#IM

Oct 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi all ...

first post here - don't even have my iphone yet ... i pick it up in tomorrow and am very excited about it ...

i hope that i am not being overconfident, but i don't really feel too nervous about the JB process ... i have been a palm user for 15 or so years ... and did lots of "custom" roms on my treo 650 ... from what i have read JBing the iphone seems more "straight forward" and "safer' than that process ..

i hope that i am right :)

now - i didn't want to start yet another j'break thread .... there seem to be a million of them already .... but despite reading most of the threads on the JB subject here i still have a basic question on JBing that seems to be unanswered by all the posts that i have read so far ... so i thought that i would tag my question here on this thread .... i hope thats OK ...

i understand that JB allows you to add your own apps, themes etc to your iphone ...

but does it allow you to remove the (factory installed) apps that you don't want when substituting your own

ie ...an example only - but can i delete the "factory installed" weather app, or stock watch app or whatever ... and substitute a different one of my own preference - (from the app store) that has "better features"

and if so ... are there certain apps that can't be removed .... and will the iphone use the new one that i put in Ok ... or will it constantly "search' for the factory installed one that i have removed ....

if this can't be done .... it would mean that you end up with "two" sets of some apps ... ie ... the native apps that are pre installed on the iphone when you get it ... and the 'better' app that you have installed after JBing .... so then how do you 'inactivate or hide' the old apps that you don't want to use .. and doesn't this then "waste" a lot of memory space?

i hope that makes sense ...

RedDevil#IM

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
"justme" Ok, I just "jail broke" my iphone (couldn't wait anymore to get answers so I thought I'd take a chance).

Firstly, the whole jailbreak process took me all of 15min's including downloads. The simplest process I've ever done!!!.

Secondly, after playing with the new "system", all I can say is, "it's all that and a bag of chips ..." everyone should try this!!!

Thirdly, to answer your question, even though you can install your own apps, you are still not able to remove the embedded apps, so yes you'll end up with duplicate apps. Not to nice..., but all I've done is move the apps which I don't want to use to the last springboard (outa sight, outa mind...)

Forthly, just one point that I feel I need to mention (I'm not complaining, just thought it should be mentioned because I didn't see this on any other site regarding jail breaking) .... the apps from third parties are NOT free, in actual fact they cost a lot more than most of the apps sold on iTunes ... just a point to note.

Cheers for now.

tuna

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new to the whole iPhone thing so I have a few questions ... if anyone would mind trying to answer them for me please.

Firstly, if I jailbreak my iphone and something goes wrong later, is there any way of restoring the unit before taking it back to my service provider or Apple to have it "repaired". My understanding is that if a phone has been "jail broken" all warrenty's are voided and no one will touch the phone again. ie. when I "hack / cracked my PSP I could restore the unit to a "normal" firmware and Sony was non the wiser and did my repairs for me ... does jail breaking work the same way??

Secondly, if my iphone is "jail broken" will I still be able to sync with iTunes and add apps from the istore or would I have to do my syncing with something like iTouch or similar instead?

Thirdly, if I opt not to jailbreak my iPhone, how do I add apps from a non iTunes web site (is this even possible?).

..... I think that should do it for now... if anyone could help me with this I'd appreciate it greatly?

Hello. If you read through previous posts, you can find answers to most of these questions, so I will just give you a couple quick answers.

1. Works the same way as you described above. Wouldn't suggest taking it jailbroken because they will probs say "get out."

2. Syncing with iTunes is exactly the same when jailbroken.

3. You can only install from the app store if you don't have a jailbroken iPhone. There is no other way around it right now except jailbreaking.

Last edited:

tuna

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
"justme" Ok, I just "jail broke" my iphone (couldn't wait anymore to get answers so I thought I'd take a chance).

Firstly, the whole jailbreak process took me all of 15min's including downloads. The simplest process I've ever done!!!.

Secondly, after playing with the new "system", all I can say is, "it's all that and a bag of chips ..." everyone should try this!!!

Thirdly, to answer your question, even though you can install your own apps, you are still not able to remove the embedded apps, so yes you'll end up with duplicate apps. Not to nice..., but all I've done is move the apps which I don't want to use to the last springboard (outa sight, outa mind...)

Forthly, just one point that I feel I need to mention (I'm not complaining, just thought it should be mentioned because I didn't see this on any other site regarding jail breaking) .... the apps from third parties are NOT free, in actual fact they cost a lot more than most of the apps sold on iTunes ... just a point to note.

Cheers for now.

1. Very easy process. Agreed.

2. Jailbreak Rules.

3. You cannot remove the standard apps, but if you download Poof or Boss Prefs, you can hide the icon on your springboard. It will not uninstall, just remove it from springboard. This doesn't slow down your phone or eat any memory sandwiches.

4. Almost all of the apps on Cydia are free. The exception being ones that require some type of outside service, like MMS alternative. Jailbreaking, for me, is more of a way to play with your settings and customize your iPhone. Those types of apps are pretty much always free. But, just like the app store, if someone can make money off of a cool app they will try. No getting around that.

Download Cycorder (video recorder for iPhone), Winterboard, Boss Prefs, Catgories (put your springboard apps into folders), and the Wifi Toggle (quickly switch on/off wifi with a springboard app, one of my favs).

Last edited:

aussietanker#IM

Oct 17, 2008
Visit site
hi everyone ....

tuna said earlier ....

3. You can only install from the app store if you don't have a jailbroken iPhone. There is no other way around it right now except jailbreaking

1. so does this mean that once i have JB my phone i will be unable to buy and install any programs from the apple app store :(

I'm a bit confused about this ... cause it another thread about this subject on this forum (link below) "Bad Ash" seemed to say that you can still install apps from the app store after and onto a JB phone ..

http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphone-jailbreak-central/167436-jailbreak-app-store.html

2. does my phone have to be "switched on" by my service provider before i can JB it .....

i have purchased the iphone on contract ... i have connected to itunes to "activate" and to "register" it with apple or itunes - i think they are the correct terms .... it seems to be all working OK - i have been able to put a couple of wallpapers, some music etc onto it .. but the phone and data dependant parts of corse are not working yet as i have not yet been "switched" over to the new phone and new contract ...

my old phone from my old provider is still working ... it's the weekend here - so i probably won't get switched for another day or two :(

.... can i still JB it now ... or do i have to wait until it gets "switched on" by my new carrier ?????

Last edited:

RedDevil#IM

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
@aussietanker. Hi, firstly I've gotta state I'm no expert on iPhones yet but this is what I've found out... What tuna meant was, you get iTunes apps and you get apps that iTunes has not "approved" for "resale", my question to tuna was how could I load these non approved apps. He's reply was that the only way to load these apps would be to jailbreak your phone first, jail broken or not, it has no effect on loading "approved" apps from the apps store.

Then, on whether or not you should jailbreak your phone now or wait till you're registered by your service provider .... My suggestion would be to wait till your registered then do the jailbreak. Reason being, if you don't have a WI FI connection you'll need atleast a 3G connection to do the updates after the jailbreak. I have more reasons and if you'd like me run through them with you then just PM me if you like.

I hope this helps you a bit, just gotta add too, jailbreaking is the ONLY way to go, it is everything and more and I feel your pain, having to wait a WHOLE EXTRA day to get registered, it must be worse than have teeth extracted.....

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner