Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    E-Bot's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    26 Posts

    Default Iphone Backgrounder

    just saw this on gizmodo. A solution for jailbroken phones to run things in background. Post more info after using.
    "Whats a Dickfer?
    To Pee With."
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  
    E-Bot's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    26 Posts

    Default

    ....even after a few minutes use, i can see this is a need for anyone with a jailbroken iphone. Pandora while, im'ing,surfing is so natural that it feels like its something that should have been there since the begining.
    "Whats a Dickfer?
    To Pee With."
  3. #3  
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Administrator

    Posts
    7,048 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default

    I've been pushing jailbreaking for a long time... people just don't seem to understand why... this is just another reason.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    E-Bot's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    26 Posts

    Default

    well, if i was available for said "longtime" i would have been with you. But as it stands, i've only owned my phone since sept 15th. But jailbreaking, the day that pwnage tool 2.1 was available for pc users. Since unlike my previous phone(razr original recipe) which had to do custom firmwares, iphone jailbreaking is relatively painless, plus the fact that i can easily reset to normal if need.
    "Whats a Dickfer?
    To Pee With."
  5. #5  
    avatar test's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

    Default

    This looks great thanks for the tips. I guess I'll wait till I get use to the iphone for a bit and then look into the need for this. I am using the flycast internet radio player right now and so far they have a pretty good workaround to play internet radio in the background. I'm glad that there is an option out there like this but I guess I should make sure that it is something I need to do.

    Thanks again.
  6. #6  
    avatar test's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

    Default

    Alrighty I am jailbroken and running Pandora in the background!!! This is great! That was a piece of cake! Thanks a ton
  7. #7  
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Administrator

    Posts
    7,048 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    Alrighty I am jailbroken and running Pandora in the background!!! This is great! That was a piece of cake! Thanks a ton
    I'm glad everything is working out for you! Hopefully you never have to go back to those "other" forums anymore.
  8. #8  
    avatar test's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

    Default

    So far back grounder has worked well. It is great to stream pandora while I surf the net. Backgrounder doesn't work well with my podcast streamer app but mabey that is not backgrounders fault. Ive been back and forth with the iPhone-loving it/not loving it. Backgrounder is definetly a boost for loving it!
  9. #9  
    jeversion1's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

    Default backgrounder

    it seems to not like to play nice with AIM or Beejive. for AIM it removes the keyboard so you cant reply without leaving the chat screen and coming back to it. then beejive it doesnt seem to always send the notification. anyone know if thats just mine? plus its a battery killer on my iphone...anyone agree. maybe i will turn off 3g like apple says to try for better battery life (read....why would i ever do something like that oh....you mean dont use my great data phone for fast data).
  10. #10  
    andyp's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

    Default

    I've been using it & I like it, but after not too long the apps seem to close by themself.
  11. #11  
    Voltaic Shock's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    82 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeversion1 View Post
    it seems to not like to play nice with AIM or Beejive. for AIM it removes the keyboard so you cant reply without leaving the chat screen and coming back to it. then beejive it doesnt seem to always send the notification. anyone know if thats just mine? plus its a battery killer on my iphone...anyone agree. maybe i will turn off 3g like apple says to try for better battery life (read....why would i ever do something like that oh....you mean dont use my great data phone for fast data).
    I noticed it doesn't work to well with AIM. That's the main reason I wanted backgrounder.
  12. #12  
    jhamilton3's Avatar
    TiPb Fourm Staff

    Posts
    1,742 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0

    Default

    Works fine for BeeJive on my phone
  13. #13  
    avatar test's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

    Default

    I am about to give up on backgrounder. I use it for stitcher radio, Pandora, radioBox and FlyCast. Sometimes it works fine but most of the time it quits randomly. The backgrounder help notes say it is due to a lack of resources on the iphone. I tried resetting and I only had radioBox and google maps running and it just wouldnt work. How can that be a lack or resources,,,, its only 2 programs. A few days ago I tried to listen to Pandora while playing Theseus and it worked for about 3 minutes at a time.

    I am going to have to sell my iPhone. It is pointless for me to have a phone that can not run the 2 programs I want at the same time. I frequently listen to internet radio while running another program and the iphone does a lousy job even with backgrounder.

    For a while i did accomplish this with FlyTunes because FlyTunes launches quick time for radio but it dosent do it for very many NPR stations and often says a station cannot be found even though their are a dozen on there.

    I give up,,, without built in, true multitasking,,,, the iPhone just isn't good enough................... for me.
  14. #14  
    APPCRITICal's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    91 Posts

    Default

    This thing works great with IM+

    Love it.
  15. #15  
    LucasVictor#IM's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

    Default Currently running apps in backgrounder

    Got a quick question for y'all. How do you check all currently running apps in the background?

    My issue is if i have 5 random apps enabled for background running, after half an hour, how do i keep track of which apps are still in background so that i can close them to save resources?
  16. #16  
    Mr. Josh's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts

    Default

    Hmmm, I couldn't find it at first..

    I think I was spelling it wrong..Lol.


    But it's really cool. Thanks!
  17. #17  
    LVCIFER's Avatar
    iPhone Specialist

    Posts
    1,394 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,397 Global Posts

    Default

    Install sbsettings, and then slide your finger accross the top task bar. When the menu pops up, tap "Processes". It will give you a list of all currently running processes.

    You can also quit them there too.
  18. #18  
    KoukiFC3S's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,612 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    I am about to give up on backgrounder. I use it for stitcher radio, Pandora, radioBox and FlyCast. Sometimes it works fine but most of the time it quits randomly. The backgrounder help notes say it is due to a lack of resources on the iphone. I tried resetting and I only had radioBox and google maps running and it just wouldnt work. How can that be a lack or resources,,,, its only 2 programs. A few days ago I tried to listen to Pandora while playing Theseus and it worked for about 3 minutes at a time.

    I am going to have to sell my iPhone. It is pointless for me to have a phone that can not run the 2 programs I want at the same time. I frequently listen to internet radio while running another program and the iphone does a lousy job even with backgrounder.

    For a while i did accomplish this with FlyTunes because FlyTunes launches quick time for radio but it dosent do it for very many NPR stations and often says a station cannot be found even though their are a dozen on there.

    I give up,,, without built in, true multitasking,,,, the iPhone just isn't good enough................... for me.
    Get a 3GS! I run 4-5 apps all the time!
  19. #19  
    lionheartednyhc's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    339 Posts

    Default

    For those using pandora, download pandora controls. It will complete the experience
  20. #20  
    just_me#IM's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    16 Posts

    Default

    Anyone know if you're running Skype in the background what happens when you get a call?? Does it somehow push the app to the front or will it just ring in the background without you knowing about it?
  21. #21  
    KoukiFC3S's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,612 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lionheartednyhc View Post
    For those using pandora, download pandora controls. It will complete the experience
    What do the ff/rw buttons do? Thumbs up/down?

Posting Permissions

B