Will I lose 3rd party apps when going from jailbroken 2.0 to 2.1

deek

Sep 27, 2008
Visit site
I jailbroke my iPhone 3G shortly after I bought it. It has 2.0 firmware on it right now. I have search all over and can't find a straight answer on my question.

If I upgrade to 2.1 through iTunes then use QuickPwn 2.1 (I am running windows) will I keep all of my apps that I have installed through Cydia?

Is there any way to make sure these apps don't get deleted?

spsands

Sep 10, 2008
www.twitter.com
well, in the interest of being "not-straightforward" ...

maybe? I dunno. I would assume that they would be there. Quickpwning my iphone 3g left all the native apps/music/pics on my phone without disturbing them. Im not sure that all the Cydia apps would still be operational though. not sure of the compatibility of the after-market apps between 2.0-2.1. It would seem that they would probably still be there though. You will have to let us know if you try it. Im interested to know myself.

tuna

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
When I updated to 2.1, I ended up having to install the 2.1 firmware in iTunes, which erased all of my apps. I then had to restore to get all of my non-jailbroken apps back on here. I was unable to save my jailbroken apps, and I had to reinstall all of them after I jailbroke.

For a suggestion, I would say do a backup before installing 2.1 to keep all you regular apps. I don't know of a way to restore your jailbroken apps. Anyone else know anything about this?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Back up is not needed to keep your official app store apps. Those are all stored in your iTunes account. Those are always safe.

obee1

Aug 26, 2008
Visit site
If I understand, you're asking if your jailbroken apps (Cydia installed) will be on the phone after the upgrade to 2.1. The answer is no. Installing 2.1 un-jailbreaks your phone and will delete all Cydia installed apps. You'd have to reinstall them after you upgrade and re-jailbreak your phone.

I think there's a program to backup jailbroken apps, but haven't really looked into it, since I didn't jailbreak my phone until 2.1 was released.

tuna

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Back up is not needed to keep your official app store apps. Those are all stored in your iTunes account. Those are always safe.

I should have been more specific. Your right. You will never lose the ability to use those apps, but you may have to re-install them on your phone.

You will lose all jailbroken apps with a firmware upgrade.

brikz

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
YOu need to install aptbackup in cydia. Install this program and backup your apps. and then do a full backup in itunes (might take a while but don't stop process. Then do your restore with the new firmware as you would do normal through itunes only. This will erase everything and bring it back to as you first got it. Then close all itunes operations. Then jailbreak using quikpwn for 3g. Then download, aptbackup again, boss prefs, five icon dock if you had it before. Then go to itunes and update from backup on the one that you want. Let if finish all of that. This should bring all your itunes apps, and data back. After it is finished. Launch aptbackup and restore. This should bring back all of your cydia apps and ssttings back. And you should be back to your old hacked self with the new firmware. Any other questions or if this fails to work let me know.

Good Luck

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
It is ALWAYS best to start fresh after a firmware update. Not 100% necessary but if you want to play it safe and have a less chance of a mess up down the line start from scratch. Just my opinion...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen