AppStore Apps and Jailbreaking Question

zavius

Aug 11, 2008
Visit site
I am looking to jailbreak my 2.0.1 3G iPhone for the first time. I've downloaded quite a few apps from the store and I'm curious if those will remain on my phone when I jailbreak? Or do I need to redownload and set them all back up after I jailbreak?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Depends on how you are going to do it. If you are on a mac when you use pwnage it creates a custom firmware file and then you have to restore your phone with that firmware which will wipe the phone. You will not lose all your app store apps though. Just have to load them back on manually. They will stay in iTunes.

zavius

Aug 11, 2008
Visit site
Doing this through WinPwn. My understanding is I need to use the standard restore file that I download. So this would lead to me losing everything right? Then I restore from a backup and get my contacts and such back but I will need to reload my Apps right?

Really appreciate the help

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
You are partly correct, after you load the custom firmware you have to set up everything on your phone like it was new. You will lose everything off the phone yes but all your bought music and or apps will still be in iTunes waiting for you. Then sync your contacts, music, pictures, apps, etc... All of your old backup files will be useless.

zavius

Aug 11, 2008
Visit site
Hmmm ok. So the only way to restore my contacts and such is to sync them somewhere. And winpwn doesn't allow me to modify my own backup ipsw?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Hmmm ok. So the only way to restore my contacts and such is to sync them somewhere. And winpwn doesn't allow me to modify my own backup ipsw?

Your contacts should be on your computer so that should not be a issue to just sync them after you jailbreak? As for winpwn I'm not sure exactly how it is set up since I'm on a Mac.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
That's impossible since they are stored within iTunes. Only way is if you used the pwnage tool and over wrote your device with custom firmware. Using quickpwn you would not lose any app store apps.