New PWNAGE tool now available for firmware 2.0.1 *Updated 8/10/08*

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
***Warning - If you decide to do this modification to your phone you are doing so at YOUR OWN risk. I take no responsibility for any mishaps you may encounter.***

Use this link for 2.0.1 firmware

blog.iphone-dev.org | Good Morning!

First thing you want to do is get your 2.0.1 firmware direct from Apple. This can be done by going into iTunes and click restore. It will then download the 2.0.1 firmware. After it starts the download disconnect your iPhone. Once it is done downloading close iTunes.

Next, do this little trick to get it to work properly.

"Update 3: If you get Error 1600 from iTunes (or if you see in your log a failure to prepare x12220000_4_Recovery.ipsw), try: mkdir ~/Library/iTunes/?Device Support? ; if that directory already exists, remove any files in it. Then re-run PwnageTool. "

All this means is to create the directory "Device Support" in the directory user name/Library/iTunes/"Device Support". That was the only issue I ran into and it did the trick. Got into DFO mode properly and it was a go. I suggest doing this before you even run the tool.

Now connect the iPhone and start the PWNAGE tool... Choose simple mode unless you know what you are doing.

Once it is done creating your custom firmware it will put it on your desktop.
Follow the directions it gives you and in iTunes click restore while holding down the option key and select the firmware that you created and saved to your desktop... let it do it's magic.
Questions? Ask... I will help you if I can.

Last edited:

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
Other than unlocking so someone can use the iphone on a different non-supported carrier....what are the benefits of unlocking and jailbreaking the iphone. In the past, it was so that one could install 3rd party apps, but so far most of my needs have been filled by the app store.

Can you all tell me why you are breaking it open and why I should? ie. what is the benefit to you and/or what 3rd party apps should I be seeking out for a jailbroken phone?

Thanks

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Other than unlocking so someone can use the iphone on a different non-supported carrier....what are the benefits of unlocking and jailbreaking the iphone. In the past, it was so that one could install 3rd party apps, but so far most of my needs have been filled by the app store.

Can you all tell me why you are breaking it open and why I should? ie. what is the benefit to you and/or what 3rd party apps should I be seeking out for a jailbroken phone?

Thanks

Honestly it really is not for my 3g but for my girlfriends first gen phone that is on Tmobile. So I upgraded her to 2.0. That is my reasoning for it.

HymerSchmidt

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Would this work for syncing apps you haven't purchased with YOUR iTunes authorization? Like, would it allow infinite licenses for apps? Pirating, basically?

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
I am having issues with getting itunes to update my phone with the custom firmware. I keep getting Error (6).

Any help?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I am having issues with getting itunes to update my phone with the custom firmware. I keep getting Error (6).

Any help?

The reason you are getting this error is because it is not in recovery mode... Follow my directions above and you should be good to go. It may take a few tries before you get it right. Although if you are using the latest version you should not have that problem. Again maybe that was not fixed. Let me know how it goes.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
Cool, I may try it later. Right now seems like there aren't too many apps out. I want MMS, tivo and maybe orb. I might try it tonight.

Thanks for the info

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Cool, I may try it later. Right now seems like there aren't too many apps out. I want MMS, tivo and maybe orb. I might try it tonight.

Thanks for the info

Sorry if my last post was not of much help. I will be around tonight so if you have more problems I will try to help you out. First thing I would do is go through the whole process of creating the custom firmware again. Good luck!

duncie

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
hi there. This is my first time posting so forgive me if this has been answered before.I bought a 2g iPhone which was already unlocked.I now want to install the software which will allow me to use the app store.will installing it do damage to my phone or is this safe to do.

Cheers
Duncan

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
hi there. This is my first time posting so forgive me if this has been answered before.I bought a 2g iPhone which was already unlocked.I now want to install the software which will allow me to use the app store.will installing it do damage to my phone or is this safe to do.

Cheers
Duncan

You can install the latest firmware sure, just be aware when you do update the firmware your phone will be re-locked. You will then have to unlock it again with Pwnage. (if you are on a Mac)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox