iPhone 3G on Tmobile?

TrunksSSJ23

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
I have been reading on about the phone lately, and I see that the iPhone Devteam has been able to unlock it. However, what I am concerned about is when they finally release this tool, I will be able to use it on T-Mobile correct? But if T-Mobile doesn't have the same frequency for 3G as AT&T does that mean it will be totally inoperable? Or I just won't be able to use 3G, but still the phone?

I really want to get a new phone, and the iPhone is number 1 on my list. But I am really debating on just getting the iPhone 2G since I have T-Mobile. Here is a direct link to the blog:

blog.iphone-dev.org | Safe code....

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Quick answer no you will not be able to unlock it with the new pwnage tool. Here is a quick run down what you will be able to do. Taken from your link.

"So, currently (when released) PwnageTool 2.0 will support:-

iPhone (1st Gen) with 2.0 - Activated, Unlocked & Jailbroken, (with support for third party applications).

iPod Touch with 2.0 - Activated & Jailbroken, (with support for third party applications).

iPhone (3G) with 2.0 - Activated, Jailbroken (with support for third party applications).

We?ve made some progress on the baseband unlock of the 3G device, but at this point PwnageTool will not support 3G unlocking or BootNeuter on the 3G device. It is, of course supported on the first generation device with 2.0. We?ll push out an update with 3G support if and when it is completed."

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
There seems to be some heavy debate about that at the moment. I don't believe so. Just my opinion. What I do know for sure is Tmobile does not have any 3g network at the moment. (outside of New York) So it would be pretty useless to you out of New York.