iPhone 2.0 Firmware Unlocked

Mike Wall

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
;)Can anybody tell me if the new iPhone 3G will be software unlockable? Those of us who live in countries where it is not available unfortunately need to do this to be able to use the phone.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
The main thing is even if you can unlock it you will not be able to use the new features such as 3g on T-mobile... so at this point it is pretty pointless unlocked for US Tmobile users. Might as well get the 1st gen 2g phone.

timebomb16

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
i'm not sure if your going to even have to unlock it . . . from what i understand AT&T will be selling iPhones minus a contract for somewhere around 499 and 599 (original price :/) So i thin you can just buy it and go on your merry way and use it with any carrier you like. You wont have to jail brake for Apps anymore so . . i think it would be a wast of time . . .

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
i'm not sure if your going to even have to unlock it . . . from what i understand AT&T will be selling iPhones minus a contract for somewhere around 499 and 599 (original price :/) So i thin you can just buy it and go on your merry way and use it with any carrier you like. You wont have to jail brake for Apps anymore so . . i think it would be a wast of time . . .

That is wishful thinking if you think that at&t will sell you a phone to use on any carrier that you wish... not gonna happen. As for not having to jailbreak, that's not true either. Granted its not something you have to do but I promise there will still be benefits of doing so.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Bad Ash has jailbroken the correct.

First, you won't be able to leave AT&T without a contract or an unsubsidized phone, which greatly increases the cost of getting the phone ($600-$900 probably).

Second, even unsubsidized, it will still be locked to AT&T (they will not be giving you an unlocked phone, just not making you sign a contract -- you'll still need pay-as-you-go/month-to-month AT&T service).

Third, if they unlock or iPwn 2.0 release, like Bad Ash said, the 3G radio is not compatible with all 3G networks, like T-Mobile in the US, so you would be stuck on 2.75G/EDGE. I'm not sure whether the aGPS would work, since it hits cell towers for the "a" part (it might anyway?)

The only advantage to jailbreak would be jailbreak-specific apps, which means stuff App Store wouldn't allow - VoIP over EDGE, pr0n, multitasking apps sans-notification server, etc.

LOdam7

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I really like the applications on jailbroken phones. I hope I can get those in the store or they hack the phone.

Dionte

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
I really like the applications on jailbroken phones. I hope I can get those in the store or they hack the phone.

I'm going to be torn, if they do jailbreak and alot of the apps are not allowed in the app store,I am going to have to jailbreak, even tho I would prefer not to

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Honestly, I don't think I'm going to.
I jailbroke my iPod touch way back when I had it, but now that there's official apps I think I can live without Installer.app.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen