Will the inability to JB iP5 increase the value of the iP4s?

felsmann

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
If you do a search for 2nd Gen Apple TVs for sale, it is crazy what people are paying for them. All because they are jailbreakable inlike 3rd Gen ATV which as far a hardware specs is superior. Here is an example Apple TV MC572LL/A (2010) [OLD VERSION]:Amazon:Electronics

I imagine this Phenomenon could replicate itself with the iphone if a jailbroken iphone 5 never comes to existance.... Of course we are all cheering for the geniouses out there to figure it out, but at least there is comfort in knowing a jb iP4s (imo) is more iphone than the unJB iP5 will ever be.

dalvik

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Well I don't know about the current prices. I can tell you from my own experience though. A couple of months ago I bought an iPhone 4s and was using it for about three months than made a big mistake and sold it for the Galaxy S3 which I hated very much. At that time the iPhone 5 was just released but I needed to have my jailbreak so I went hunting for a brand new iPhone 4s with 5.1.1 on it and finally found one on eBay, paid $550 and promptly sold my GS3. sure I did loose some money at the end on all these transactions (lesson learned) but at least I have back the JB-n 4S (brand new) and now waiting to see when and if the iPhone 5 will be finally JB-n. until then, I'm not even thinking of parting with my 4S. And I'm sure there are many people who think the same way.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I think you overestimate the number of jailbreak users when compared to the iOS user base in general. Sure, a few might hold out, but the vast majority of people don't care about jailbreaks.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't know a single person that has even thought about jailbreaking any iOS device.. Every android person I know wants custom roms or just uses there phone as a glorified feature phone. iOS is soooooo good it doesn't need to be JB but for ppl that do more power to y'all !

dalvik

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't know a single person that has even thought about jailbreaking any iOS device.. Every android person I know wants custom roms or just uses there phone as a glorified feature phone. iOS is soooooo good it doesn't need to be JB but for ppl that do more power to y'all !

The only three and most important JB tools on my iphone 4S are: AnyAttach, TetherMe and My3G.
If i couldn't get these tools on my 4S due to inability to jailbreak, I would most likely use an android device. Thats why i'm not in a hurry of buying the iphone 5.
But to each his own...

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I think you overestimate the number of jailbreak users when compared to the iOS user base in general. Sure, a few might hold out, but the vast majority of people don't care about jailbreaks.

Users who don't know people who JB think they are the common standard of the rest of iOS users. I however have many friends all with jailbroken devices and many I've taught how to JB. So none of us know the true numbers and anything any side says is an assumption. Now obviously the iOS user base is vastly greater than jailbreakers but I think you underestimate just how many there are out there.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Users who don't know people who JB think they are the common standard of the rest of iOS users. I however have many friends all with jailbroken devices and many I've taught how to JB. So none of us know the true numbers and anything any side says is an assumption. Now obviously the iOS user base is vastly greater than jailbreakers but I think you underestimate just how many there are out there.

I base my views on download statistics for the most popular jailbreak tweaks (from both legal and other sources). When compared to the total number iOS devices out there, jailbreakers are a drop in the bucket.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Stateside about 10-13% of phones are jailbroken.
China has about a 35%-40% jailbroken ratio...

Not exactly a drop in the bucket, but not exactly overwhelming either!
Either way the O. P. originally asked of it would increase value, which it won't!
And iPhone 4s on eBay at 5.1.1 will be the same price as one on 6.0.1

veegee1

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I can only speak for myself. I was able to upgrade to an iphone 5 last month in October, but I chose to buy a brand new 4S which suits my needs perfectly and is able to be jailbroken. Why? Because every system - blackberry, android, windows allows call blocking apps in their respective app stores. Of course, apple does not allow any type of call blocking app. This app on cydia called i-blacklist is my most important can't live without use every single day app. Why apple insists on not letting any type of call blocking app in the app store, I can't answer other than stubbornness on their part, but I will not allow any manufacturer to tell me that I cannot block a number or text message if I want to. To me the iphone 4s is the perfect size for a phone and the iphone 5 has nothing really on it. The 4s can be just as modern of a phone, even 2 years from now and if by then the current apple device still cannot be jailbroken, I will either go to android or windows phone. I use my phone as a phone primarily and it is my ONLY phone. Yes, I have other apps on the phone such as google voice which allow me to give out another number, but everyone knows that your real number can get into the wrong hands or on the wrong list and it should be up to me if I want to block callers to whom I don't want to have my number, so yes, the 4S is much more valuable to me than the iphone 5.

erikbock

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I will be honest, I have jailbroken my 3G, 3GS and 4 and at the end of the day I always went back to the Base iOS without Jail break. I really don't have a need to have a jailbreak. I might like the black listing capability but at the end of the day jailbreaking the phone didn't really do much for me. With the 3GS I was using it to tether and I wish AT&T would get off their high horse about that so that I could use my unlimited data for just that. It would be nice to have tethering and facetime over cellular like my friends on VZW have without some shared data plan, bt that is AT&T being douchy not Apple.

dalvik

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I can only speak for myself. I was able to upgrade to an iphone 5 last month in October, but I chose to buy a brand new 4S which suits my needs perfectly and is able to be jailbroken. Why? Because every system - blackberry, android, windows allows call blocking apps in their respective app stores. Of course, apple does not allow any type of call blocking app. This app on cydia called i-blacklist is my most important can't live without use every single day app. Why apple insists on not letting any type of call blocking app in the app store, I can't answer other than stubbornness on their part, but I will not allow any manufacturer to tell me that I cannot block a number or text message if I want to. To me the iphone 4s is the perfect size for a phone and the iphone 5 has nothing really on it. The 4s can be just as modern of a phone, even 2 years from now and if by then the current apple device still cannot be jailbroken, I will either go to android or windows phone. I use my phone as a phone primarily and it is my ONLY phone. Yes, I have other apps on the phone such as google voice which allow me to give out another number, but everyone knows that your real number can get into the wrong hands or on the wrong list and it should be up to me if I want to block callers to whom I don't want to have my number, so yes, the 4S is much more valuable to me than the iphone 5.

Couldn't have put it better myself. This is exactly why i chose 4S over the iphone 5. Thank you.

carrkevinu

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I can tell you from my own experience though. A couple of months ago I bought an iPhone 4s and was using it for about three months than made a big mistake and sold it for the Galaxy S3 which I hated very much.
a117.jpg

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Did the same thing. Switched to the GS3-- TWICE! Went back to the iPhone both times. Fortunately, the second time I wasn't foolish enough to part with my iPhone. Unfortunately, I did upgrade my iPhone to 6.0 so I am anxiously awaiting JB for it. I could just kick myself for updating!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711