How to jailbreak iPhone 4S & iPad 2 on iOS 5.0/5.0.1 via Greenpois0n Absinthe

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site

We finally have a jailbreak for iPhone 4S and iPad 2! Untethered nonetheless.

In order to jailbreak your A5 device (iPhone 4S or iPad 2) you'll need the following:

- iPhone 4S running either iOS 5.0 or iOS 5.0.1
- iPad 2 running iOS 5.0 or 5.0.1 (note: wifi only devices HAVE to be on iOS 5.0.1)
- Greenpois0n Absinthe - iMore downloads page

First back up your device before ever performing a jailbreak or modification.

Next, connect your iPhone 4S or iPad 2 to your computer and launch GreenPois0n and click "Jailbreak"

This process takes quite a while longer than previous jailbreaks. Your device may look like it is restoring from a backup at one point - that's normal.

After GreenPois0n injects the files it needs to, your device will reboot.

From there, slide to unlock your device when GreenPois0n tells you to and find the Greenpois0n app icon on your home screen. Launch the Absinthe icon and it should do the rest. When your device reboots Cydia should take the place of the Greenpois0n icon.

You're done!

As a side note, the GreenPois0n servers are getting slammed at the moment so if you're getting connection errors when trying to launch and install Cydia in the last step, don't fret. Just try again later.

Update: To fix the database connection error just go to settings and turn VPN connection ON - it will give you an error, your device will reboot, and then you should be able to either load the Absinthe icon or Cydia will already be in its place.

Reactions: Keyah Sanchez

aaimbrogno

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
After you download Absinthe, does my laptop need to have an internet connection for the program to inject the files into my iPad?

#Cr4k3r

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
the first time I used greenpois0n and had trouble getting Cydia loaded. redsn0w was able to add Cydia only without restoring and jailbreaking again. A great time saving tip.

charles89

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
is there a way to downgrade from 5.1 back to 5.0.1 on my 4s? i know i probably need my shsh blobs but i just learned about all this yesterday. can i get the blobs from another 4s that still has 5.0.1 on it and if so what do i need to do? and if i can get the blobs what do i do to apply them to the 5.0.1 firmware? i also need the 5.0.1 firmware. i have a link to download it which i did but it downloads as a zip file. i jailbroke my ipod touch 4g with 5.1 tethered. i need 5.0.1 back on my 4s. any help would be nice, please

reahn

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
no way to downgrade. and even if you could, the blobs are unique for every device. sorry. no way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapapoop

juanita11

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 4s on T-mobile

I have an ATT iPhone 4s which I have jailbroken with absinthe but it still won't let me use my t-mobile sim card, says it's invalid. How do I unlock it?

caroline lynn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
use R-SIM3 Ultra S,this card can unlock Works on iOS 5.0 / 5.0.1 / 5.1 and fullyl compatible Baseband 1.0.11 / 1.0.13 / 1.0.14 / 2.0.10,i have tested it on my AT&T 4s,works well.it doesnt need any jailbreaking or dailing 112 ,but Automatic unlocking . You can give it a shot as well. Good Luck ~

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Quick question, I got rid of jailbreak when I was running ios 5.01 now I've upgraded to 5.1. I got rid of the jailbreak because I was ignorant to much of its pros and focused more on the cons. Question is, has a jailbreak for 5.1 been released yet?

bcbbanga4l

Trusted Member
Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Just found this out... If you are running mountain lion

os x 10.8 you will be able to download the software needed from greenpoisons website but it will not open on your mac. I am not sure if they made the download available yet for this os since it just came out a few days ago.

bcbbanga4l

Trusted Member
Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Nevermind mine was actually off it was the disabled and I was still not able to open the application

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apple_Fangirl06

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi...I'm new to JB. I had a friend JB my 4S last weekend using Absinthe. Then I decided to JB my iPod Touch 4G the next day. The only problem I had was my own fault.....I loaded several sources back to back. Then I was not able to download anything from Cydia....I received a "Cannot Comply" message for a full 24 hrs. I read different forum threads that said the error was due to Cydia being busy or having a server down. I decided to restore, re-install Absinthe and not load sources I found online. I've been up and running since with no problems. I did back up my info both times before restoring. Absinthe is great tho.