Positives and Negatives about JailBreaking your Iphone?

MYNAMESALEX

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Can't jb 4s. See, that topic just got incredibly easy!

But jailbreak...
Good
Homebrew; iOS tweaks, more customizing, more unapproved apps, lots of fun stuff, emulators, custom theming options.

Bad
Battery = D:
I'm jail broken with minimal mods (just ultrasn0w, SAM, and iFile) and my girlfriend's iPhone battery is significantly better than mine.
Apple Warranty = D:
Phone speed = :/
Phone slows down a bit. Bothers some people.

That's basically all I can think of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I've moved this thread to the Jailbreak forum where it makes a little more sense. Of course, if you look around this forum you'll see the question has been answered numerous times.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
some people may disagree with my analogy but jailbreaking is a give & take situation. yeah, you may have some pretty cool jailbroken apps/tweaks on your device but it usually comes with a price. like mentioned above already

at times, for me, it was unfulfilled. meaning, i would spend hours tweaking the living crap out of my phone (themes, icons etc..) but i was the only one who enjoyed it because i am too paranoid and not let anyone handle my device long enough to see all the hard work that was put into it

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
some people may disagree with my analogy but jailbreaking is a give & take situation. yeah, you may have some pretty cool jailbroken apps/tweaks on your device but it usually comes with a price. like mentioned above already

at times, for me, it was unfulfilled. meaning, i would spend hours tweaking the living crap out of my phone (themes, icons etc..) but i was the only one who enjoyed it because i am too paranoid and not let anyone handle my device long enough to see all the hard work that was put into it

I completely agree with you on give and take. Also, the countless hours tweaking and only to be enjoyed by yourself. However, at some parties I have been it 's been a topic of discussion. Folks like to demo jailbreaks and I have gotten side jobs from it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Jailbreaking is a simple thing to do. People are scared of it because you are going into the unknown. Who knows what jailbreaking might expose your iPhone to? Thieves!

There are some cool things Jailbreaking enables you to do, but in my opinion- it's just not worth it.

1. it seriously slows down your device
2. it leaves fragments of unused data on your device that takes up space
3. unexpected shut downs- risk losing everything

But, I haven't found really exceptionally useful tweaks. But it's worth it of you know some, because you can always wipe and restore.

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't notice any negatives except for one, and that is that upgrading to new OS builds becomes a real chore. Backup utilities for cydia apps and their data aren't always so reliable, unfortunately. Even though I run several backup programs (pkgbackup, and appbackup, sometimes I've used xbackup as well) before upgrading, there's always some app (or in the case of my most recent upgrade 15 apps) that don't restore properly and this ramps up the time involved. Basically I dread upgrading now. I didn't do the last couple of 4.3 upgrades, and though I did go to 5.0, I skipped 5.0.1 until the untethered jb came out.

But the positives of tweaking way outweigh this. The ability to get the phone to do more useful things, and in some cases get around apple's crazy limitations, make the iphone for me.

Uselessbass

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I have only been dabbling with jailbroken iPhones for about 1 year but I have to say as long as u don't go installing every little tweak u can find u won't really run into problems I admit when I first did it I was installing all kinds of stuff but the reality was I only needed a few tweaks like I love playing super nes games on an emulator and a icontrolpad and with out being jailbroken that would not be be possible on iOS I also love having sbsettings just those to reasons alone is why I jailbreak now and 3G unrestrictor is another must

The_colombian

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I like it. What I learned was to install 1 tweek at a time and test it out to make sure it worked with my phone. There is so much stuff in cydia that you will want to go crazy. I have about 8 apps installed right now and although the phone sometimes shows a touch of lag, it has made it a better experience.
No change in battery life. Shut downs and safe mode resets can occur with rouge apps.

xgm541

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Read a few posts here claiming jb makes your phone slower and reduces battery life. Neither of these is true. Jail breaking itself does not reduce speed nor battery. There are plenty of tweaks however that will.

Jail breaking does void your warranty BUT it is reversible and nobody will ever know you jak broke your device.

Reactions: redbeard

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 4s has been jailbroken... Am I the only person who has a twitter????
ANYWAYS nothing bad at all about jailbreaking...
Cydia, like the AppStore, has TONS OF GARBAGE, but it also has diamonds... Sbsettings, activator... Ifile... Just look before you leap...

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
is the JB for the 4s only tethered right now? Anyone want to make it easy and post a few links? I am at work right now and cant really do much surfing. thanks

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Read a few posts here claiming jb makes your phone slower and reduces battery life. Neither of these is true. Jail breaking itself does not reduce speed nor battery. There are plenty of tweaks however that will.

of course the method of jailbreaking itself does not compromise anything, unless there is a corrupt build which i have experienced. i have to assume the OP was not referring to that but everything else that comes along with it

also, there is a misconception with battery drain vs the simple fact that people tend to be on their jailbroken device A LOT more than often than stock

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
BiteSMS, Tetherme, and My3G make it worth it to me, though I have to admit, my phone seems to lag a bit more since being jailbroken, but not a deal breaker. It could also be because I didn't wipe the phone before jailbreaking.

It's worth trying once, if you don't like it, just restore to new again.

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 4s has been jailbroken... Am I the only person who has a twitter????

I don't know what twitter you're reading, but you're not reading the right one. There is no released 4S jailbreak. It's still being worked on. Today, @pod2g suggested "with luck" we'd have the A5 jailbreak next week, but no more than that. Look at the front page of the blog. BTW, don't rely on any date in an "almost there" post as they are prone to slip.

nate8it

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Okay. Yes the 4s has been jailbroken (google it). No there is no jailbreak publicly avail. ( pretty sure u both knew that) on topic. Jb= more freedom. Freedom to install software that can add convenience but cost system resources ( battery, memory, processor) some software however can help u manage resources better by freeing memory or making it easier to end processes running etc. *it's all what u choose to do and as someone said some apps are developed by good debs who only release well coded tested and supported apps. Others, not so much. I think that if u are the type of person that likes to tinker, can google and research, then u should def jb. If not and it scares you or will easily confuse you, maybe u shouldn't

nolhayes

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
it's mainly the themes and mods that slow down your phone and make it unstable.
It is a good idea to test every tweak before you move on the the next tweak. As some do not work for w/e reason and only end up sitting on your device unused taking up a small amount of space.

I love jailbreaking for the simple fact that w/e I think of I just search for it and usually someone in Cydia has a tweak or mod to do it already.

Also upgrades to the standard apps are great...such as BITESMS which I missed from the time of the 5.0 upgrade to the time of the 5.0.1 untethered JB.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2