Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

Default Analphabetic iTunes on my Apples

I don't need my "Albums" in alphabetical order. I don't want my "Artists" in alphabetical order. I might be able to deal with "Composers" in alphabetical order, but there is no "Composers" column in my updated iTunes (11?). What I have always done is edit each "song" title by giving its full short title (e.g. "Bach (JS): Prelude & Fugue in A Major, BWV 536"or "Gershwin-Gershwin: Someone To Watch Over Me") so that the pieces come up in alphabetical order and different renditions of the same piece appear together and can easily be compared. I don't think anyone else does this, so I understand why Apple and iTunes could find it insupportable, but I'm sure there's a way.

Default Re: Analphabetic iTunes on my Apples

Is there a question you'd like to ask or are you just posting your thoughts?
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Nanite

Yes, the question is: How can I get iTunes to list "Names" of "songs" in alphabetical order the way it used to?
    -WE
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Nanite

No way, then?

In iTunes go to Songs tab, then press on Title in the right column. That will sort in alphabetical order.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Nanite

Thanks for your reply, but there is no "Title" column to the right. My choices are: "Name," "Time," "Artist," "Album by Artist/Year," Genre," "Rating," and "Plays."

And "Name" will sort everything I had before the recent update (and CDs ripped after the recent update) alphabetically by song name; but it will not do that for anything I download from iTunes after its recent update. How can I defeat iTunes store's determination to group all "songs" by "album" or "artist" rather than by, say, title or composer?
    Last edited by weverdell; 08-24-2016 at 10:56 AM. Reason: more info