Apple Music storage question, how much storage does it actually use!?

ImacDave

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Apple Music storage question

Hello Guys, since using Apple Music my phone storage has depleted to the point that is is full even though that when i plug it into my mac i still have 9g free.This has only happened since i have been using Apple Music so i assumed that all my playlists and music is stored in the cloud. Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Apple Music storage question

Just remember the offline songs take storage space. Roughly 1 gb per 100 songs. So if you have added a lot of songs offline, then it's going to take a lot of space. So if you have 400 songs offline, that's about 4 gb. It adds up. That's what streaming is for. You can listen to the music without putting it on the phone offline taking space.

ImacDave

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the reply but I'm confused. So whats the best way to listen to my library without it eating space?.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

Best way to listen to your library without using space is to stream it. All your music is available, but you need connectivity to do that. What I do it store 2 playlists offline incase I don't have signal and the rest of my music is streamed.

MusicMan0404

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Hey Bamf-Hacker, I've only been streaming music and have lost up to 6GB of space. I've read about clearing cache but why bother? My Spotify app is only using 4GB and I have over hundreds of songs saved to offline mode.

ImacDave

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

I only listen to my music over wifi and it still takes up space and i don't have any music saved to my phone at all.Im thinking that all the albums i have in my apple music account transfer to the storage on my phone when i listen to them but if thats not the case then I'm stumped,ha.Im aware that i can save songs for offline use but i have wifi at home and in the gym so i don't need to.

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site

Assuming there's not something broken going, it sounds like you are experiencing the streamed music being cached. It does this automatically. It's taking up space but the system should delete it as space is needed for other things. It should only be using the tree space because it's free. When you need the space back, it should give it back. That would explain why iTunes reports you have more space because technically you do since the cached music files are temporary. This is all in theory mi haven't seen where Apple has documented their caching practices (I haven't looked for it either).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

byrd_nick

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site

I am having same problem *without* adding anything to "My Music." I am only streaming music music, but I lose 1-2 gigs of available storage when I use the app. Some of it comes back if I reboot and stop using the app, but it goes way again once I start regularly using the app.

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site

It's because the app caches music you stream. Then if you play a song again, it doesn't have to stream it again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mrtunes

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site

i have tried to remove the iCloud Music Library, re-add it, turn off the phone, etc and nothing is working.

In General... Usage... my storage shows that 20 megs are free. The applications on the list add up to a little over 2 gigs out of 5.2 gigs available. So my phone is out of space and Apple Music keeps eating up whatever is available. this is very frustrating.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

i have tried to remove the iCloud Music Library, re-add it, turn off the phone, etc and nothing is working.

In General... Usage... my storage shows that 20 megs are free. The applications on the list add up to a little over 2 gigs out of 5.2 gigs available. So my phone is out of space and Apple Music keeps eating up whatever is available. this is very frustrating.

How much storage do you have after you remove iCloud Music Library but before adding it back?

oldcampos

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
You are absolutely right. I also had my theories but I was able to confirm this. I logged out of my icloud account and logged in using another then changed back, then I had to re-enable apple music and noticed that a had almost 2gbs added to my current free space. Alternatively go to Settings > music > turn iCloud Music Library off and then turn if back on and BOOM I got back 2+ gb back on my iPhone.

oldcampos

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site

Interestingly its not possible to remove the apple music cache using an app. I've tried a few apps myself a none worked. But if you go to settings > music and simply disable iCloud Music Library you will automatically empty the Apple Music cache.

JessieJess 1986

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
You are absolutely right. I also had my theories but I was able to confirm this. I logged out of my icloud account and logged in using another then changed back, then I had to re-enable apple music and noticed that a had almost 2gbs added to my current free space. Alternatively go to Settings > music > turn iCloud Music Library off and then turn if back on and BOOM I got back 2+ gb back on my iPhone.

Thank you! I just did that and it worked!

prince05

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
Get a cloud music storage like Loop for Vox if you want to stream your own library or cache it on your iPhone anytime, it also streams in Flac and other formats in the original quality