Use iTunes library located on NAS with a Mac?

JML5150

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I am/still a Windows user and recently bought a Mac. I want to be able to use my iTunes library with it, yet still use it with Windows. I am able to open my iTunes library, my music won't play though. Rebuilding my library on the Mac is not an option. Having my iTunes folder and all my Media on my Mac is not an option. Here are some specifics of my situation I am running OS X 10.10.3

1. My iTunes library .itl .xml files, apps, music, books, etc, are on a NAS drive on my home network.
2. The drive is mapped by a letter (windows style), Mac doesn't recognize that for the file paths
3.The NAS is formatted NTFS but I have the feature enabled on the NAS for my Mac to read, write to it. Reformatting my NAS is not an option
4.Adding all my music to the iTunes music folder is out of the question as everything is sorted into folders by artist/album (I have 60+ GB in my library)
5. I made a copy of my .itl and .xml file. I tired to edit the file paths with text edit but was unsuccessful...
6.I don't plan on making my Mac dual boot Windows...

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I know with my iTunes library, I have the files on the NAS, but the library itself on the Mac. I've dragged and dropped the files into iTunes while browsing the network storage in finder. My NAS isn't NTFS formatted though, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods