Songs only play for a few seconds

Milenkod

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Somewhere about ios5 time, new songs imported into iTunes would only play on my iPhone for a few seconds and then silence or skip to the next song in the playlist?and the same thing with the next song(s) and so on. Often, the song shown on screen would be the original while it has skipped to the next few song. Now with match, this happens among all my iDevices. Oddly, they play fine on my MacBook Pro where the iTunes library resides.

It's not the mp3 files themselves. It also happens with purchased or re-downloaded matched songs. I've deleted and recreated playlists with no difference. Turned off Match and synced songs directly onto my device. Nothing make a difference. There are numerous threads on Apple's discussion boards that have gone unanswered. Many posts report back that there's been no help from apple technical support either. However it does seem to be a widespread issue.

Nonetheless I've resolved this to be something corrupt or a bug in the iTunes database files. How can I trash the old database file and rebuild it?? What's the easiest way to do this?

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Somewhere about ios5 time, new songs imported into iTunes would only play on my iPhone for a few seconds and then silence or skip to the next song in the playlist…and the same thing with the next song(s) and so on. Often, the song shown on screen would be the original while it has skipped to the next few song. Now with match, this happens among all my iDevices. Oddly, they play fine on my MacBook Pro where the iTunes library resides.

It's not the mp3 files themselves. It also happens with purchased or re-downloaded matched songs. I've deleted and recreated playlists with no difference. Turned off Match and synced songs directly onto my device. Nothing make a difference. There are numerous threads on Apple's discussion boards that have gone unanswered. Many posts report back that there's been no help from apple technical support either. However it does seem to be a widespread issue.

Nonetheless I've resolved this to be something corrupt or a bug in the iTunes database files. How can I trash the old database file and rebuild it?? What's the easiest way to do this?

Frankly I would contact technical support. The only other thing I would do is to wipe your devices and restore from the backup that you says remains uncorrupted.

Milenkod

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Frankly I would contact technical support. The only other thing I would do is to wipe your devices and restore from the backup that you says remains uncorrupted.
all my devices ( 2 iPhones and 2 iPads) suffer from the same problem. I hardly think this is a hardware issue.

Others who have sought Apple Techincal support report that it was suggested they try the basic restore type procedures. None of which work. Even those who have taken to the Genius Bar for help have not gotten any help to resolve the problem.

jlb21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't think so. I have the similar problem, except it would try to play a song and not succeed and just skip to the next song and so on until it finds a song it can play.

I have a 5s (only 2 months old).

Music plays fine on the PC with the library. I think it mostly plays ok on my wifi only iPad Mini. And today I loaded iTunes on my new work laptop and associated that with iTunes/Match. All music plays fine on this laptop (where everything is in the cloud and no local music).

But my iPhone is having the problem now. I have done all the usual easy things (turn off ITM, signout of my aID, reboot, turn on, etc), but to no avail.

I'd hate to think it's a hardware problem. But I sometimes had this problem recent on my 4 before i upgraded to the 5s. So I tend to think it's more some weird software quirk....perhaps?

I'd rather not do a backup/reset/restore if I don't have to. Especially as that might not do anything if there's a corrupt file getting included in the backup that's just getting restored (though I do have a program that would let me take individual pieces out of the backup).

So I am a little frustrated, but as long as my work laptop can handle it, I'm good for biz travel. I need to check my Mini and my Apple TV too......

jlb21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I am SUCH an I_DIOT (yeah, imore is blocking this word.....sheesh)

Yeah, the problem seems to have arisen recently. And.....oh boy, what a fool.......and I am at a new client recently.

Doh! Their guest wifi network blocks MS Lync so I should have thought that it might also block music/streaming/etc.

So I turned on my VZW hotspot and connected my phone to that and, voila.....everything played fine.

So, yeah, the client's network config is the culprit. However, I am still not sure why some (few) songs did play. Perhaps it's a file type thing too, or something like that.

Nonetheless....crisis averted.

jlb21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Weird addendum, even when on the client's wifi, still plays all music on my laptop fine. So it must be a combination of file type AND device type that they are blocking......

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77