Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts

Question Question re: moving iTunes library to new computer where files have different file path?

Hi everyone-

I just got a new laptop and need to transfer my iTunes library to the new computer.

On my old computer, the hard drive was partitioned into a "C" drive and an "F" drive. The new laptop is just "C."

Since my iTunes library was on the "F" partition on the old laptop, the file path for all the files is going to change when I transfer to the new laptop.

I can find dozens and dozens of articles online about how to move iTunes to a new computer, but none of them seem to address the file path issue.

Does anyone know where I can find detailed instructions on how to make this work?

Thanks in advance.

Global Posts
    19,260 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Question re: moving iTunes library to new computer where files have different file path?

Unless I'm misunderstanding your concern, you don't really have a problem. It's no different than transferring files from a flash or USB drive with a drive letter other than C. Your goal is to move the "files" over to the new computer, right? Again, if I misunderstood your concern, my apologies.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts

Default Re: Question re: moving iTunes library to new computer where files have different file path?

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Unless I'm misunderstanding your concern, you don't really have a problem. It's no different than transferring files from a flash or USB drive with a drive letter other than C. Your goal is to move the "files" over to the new computer, right? Again, if I misunderstood your concern, my apologies.
    Right, I am not concerned with the simple act of moving the files. I know I can just copy of the files from the old laptop to the new laptop.

What I am concerned about is that my iTunes library file (the .itl file) thinks all the underlying music and app files are in the "F" drive. So, when I open that library file on the new computer, it's going to look in the "F" drive, which doesn't exist, and I'll be left with a library full of dead links with an "!" next to every single file in my library.

Global Posts
    11,429 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Thanked by:
    unniphilip (05-04-2014)