Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    pearlyrob's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    850 Global Posts

    Default New computer. Transfer iTunes library

    So as the topic says. I currently use a PC. We'll my new MBA arrives tomorrow. How do I go about transferring my iTunes stuff to it? If I just hook up my iPhone. Won't it erase all my apps? Do MacBooks come with iTunes installed?

    I'm also a first time Mac user. Any tips?

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. #2  
    Speedygi's Avatar

    Posts
    2,222 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,963 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1

    Default Re: New computer. Transfer iTunes library

    Quote Originally Posted by pearlyrob View Post
    So as the topic says. I currently use a PC. We'll my new MBA arrives tomorrow. How do I go about transferring my iTunes stuff to it? If I just hook up my iPhone. Won't it erase all my apps? Do MacBooks come with iTunes installed?

    I'm also a first time Mac user. Any tips?

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes, MacBooks come with iTunes installed in all of them. Just log in your account, go to the purchased section of your account and download them to your heart's content. As for non-Itunes store bought music you will have to put them on iTunes Match (Apple's music cloud service) or transfer them manually to your MacBook. That would be pretty simple to do with an external hard drive of any kind. Just make sure you have plenty of space stored on it.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    pearlyrob's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    850 Global Posts

    Default Re: New computer. Transfer iTunes library

    Great info. So if I log into my iTunes. Do I have to download the apps first or can I transfer fom my iphone
  4. #4  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    5,630 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,635 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default Re: New computer. Transfer iTunes library

    Macs also come with a Migration Assistant utility you can use to transfer stuff over from Windows.
  5. #5  
    rayz336's Avatar

    Posts
    2,356 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,566 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.3

    Default Re: New computer. Transfer iTunes library

    Quote Originally Posted by pearlyrob View Post
    Great info. So if I log into my iTunes. Do I have to download the apps first or can I transfer fom my iphone
    I'm not sure but I think you'd have to download your apps first
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    pearlyrob's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    850 Global Posts

    Default Re: New computer. Transfer iTunes library

    Ok tell me more about this migration assistant please!
  7. #7  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    5,630 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,635 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default Re: New computer. Transfer iTunes library

    Haven't used itself but it comes standard with macs. Once you get it, go I to your Applications folder and then the Utilities subfolder and you should see it there. I believe the two computers need to be on the same network or directly connected to each other.
  8. #8  
    LincolnGustav's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2 Posts

    Default Re: New computer. Transfer iTunes library

    1) copy the iTunes folder across
    2) find the file called "iTunes Library" that has no extension. Its in the same folder as a file called "iTunes Library.xml".
    3) Copy this file in the same folder.
    4) name the copy "iTunes Library.itl" in other words give it a file extension of "itl"
    5) Find your iTunes icon on your desktop
    6) hold the shift key down, do not release it
    7) double click on the icon using your mouse
    8) iTunes will ask you to use a different library
    9) browse to the folder containing your itl file created earlier and select the file
    10) voila - your mac library is now working in windows.
    You can also follow this tutorial to have it done:
    Last edited by LincolnGustav; 05-15-2014 at 10:39 PM.
  9. #9  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    19,324 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,553 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: New computer. Transfer iTunes library

    Quote Originally Posted by LincolnGustav View Post
    1) copy the iTunes folder across
    2) find the file called "iTunes Library" that has no extension. Its in the same folder as a file called "iTunes Library.xml".
    3) Copy this file in the same folder.
    4) name the copy "iTunes Library.itl" in other words give it a file extension of "itl"
    5) Find your iTunes icon on your desktop
    6) hold the shift key down, do not release it
    7) double click on the icon using your mouse
    8) iTunes will ask you to use a different library
    9) browse to the folder containing your itl file created earlier and select the file
    10) voila - your mac library is now working in windows.
    Your reply does not help the OP transfer his "iTunes stuff" from his PC to his new Mac.

Similar Threads

  1. Finally Back to apple! :) New iPhone Gold 5S
    By FitMomXtine in forum iPhone 5s
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-08-2014, 03:02 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-28-2014, 12:05 AM
  3. 5s can't connect to iTunes
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-27-2014, 03:07 AM
  4. Using one computer with two iPads
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-26-2014, 07:16 PM
  5. Got a new Mac Pro? SMC update keeps Power Nap activities quiet
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2014, 03:40 PM

Posting Permissions