Keep it Clean!

ronmcse

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I noticed today as I was downloading the new 7.0.3 update for my iPhone, the file was over 1GB in size. My question is, once that file downloads and installs on my iPhone, will iTunes delete that huge file for me or do I have a directory somewhere on my Mac with a bunch of large files that I will never use again just taking up space? If so, where is this folder located so I can keep it clean?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unless something has changed, the ipsw file that iTunes downloads and install to your iPhone will be kept in a hidden directory on your computer, in case of a restore.

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah.. When I started updating yesterday, iTunes moved the 7.0 and 7.0.2 ipsw files to my recycle bin. Don't know if it was because I was low on space or what, but I found it interesting that they were both still there (I suppose I should check the date they were deleted.. It could have deleted the 7.0 file when I updated to 7.0.2 - though I thought I did that update OTA).

- Matt

ronmcse

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, is it safe to find those files and delete them? If I ever do a restore, will it not just re-download the ipsw file again? I don't mind keeping these files if iTunes remove the older ones...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73