Difference between "Restore from backup" and "Restore as new device"

JsGrandma

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Currently I have a 4s and plan to buy the 5s in October. I would like to put the new iOS7 on my 4s to use before I trade it in later and I use iTunes to do the back ups on my PC.

Before I trade in my 4s for the 5s I plan to do a back up in iTunes but am confused which to choose when I first hook my new 5s up to iTunes to sync it with my info. Do I choose "Restore from backup" OR "Restore as new device"?

My pictures and videos are transferred to my PC and then to an external hard drive, so I can add them later but wondering about the apps, music, contacts (Google apps).

Thanks for your help on this..........just want to be as informed as I can, so the process goes as smoothly as possible.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Currently I have a 4s and plan to buy the 5s in October. I would like to put the new iOS7 on my 4s to use before I trade it in later and I use iTunes to do the back ups on my PC.
No problem

Before I trade in my 4s for the 5s I plan to do a back up in iTunes but am confused which to choose when I first hook my new 5s up to iTunes to sync it with my info. Do I choose "Restore from backup" OR "Restore as new device"?
Your iPhone 5S will already be a new device so you will be restoring from a backup if you want to have your settings, apps, homescreen layouts, etcetera, like it was with your 4S. If not, select to set your new iPhone up as new. This means you will have to configure everything from scratch -- email, iMessage, iCloud, etc.

My pictures and videos are transferred to my PC and then to an external hard drive, so I can add them later but wondering about the apps, music, contacts (Google apps).
Your homescreen layout including the app positions will be preserved with a backup. When you restore from that backup, your apps will re-download automatically. If you opt to not restore, you purchased app will still be available to you in the "purchased" section of the App & iTunes Store and you will not have to re-purchase them.

Thanks for your help on this..........just want to be as informed as I can, so the process goes as smoothly as possible.
You're very welcome.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh