OMG what happended to my playlists?!!!!!!

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
This morning when I opened iTunes all of my playlists are gone! It looks like ALL my songs are in the cloud now, not just some of them. I am freaking out about my playlists though! One of my playlists had like 1200 songs on it! Am I going to have to reconstruct all those playlists manually or is there a way to restore them? I suppose I don't dare sync my phone with my iTunes now since that will probably erase my playlists still on my phone. Am I the only one this has happened to?

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
No. They are still on my phone because I haven't plugged it into my laptop since this happened but they are gone from my iTunes on my laptop. All of the songs are there, just not my playlists. I use one master playlist to keep my songs separate from my kids' music plus I had a handful of shorter playlists too. I am freaking out because they were just there last night. I was just using iTunes last night and they were there and now this morning they are gone. I have downloaded a couple of new songs this morning and I could download them directly to my phone from the cloud but I don't know how I would get them into the proper playlists that are still intact on my phone. Its also weird that every single one of my songs now shows with the cloud symbol next to it which is something new for my iTunes library. I've been using iTunes since its inception and so some of my older music like stuff I had from my CDs and my naughty Napster days, up until now, didn't have the cloud symbol. Its like overnight something crazy happened. I'm not currently an iTunes Match participant either although I was planning to do it in the Fall when iTunes Radio gets going. When I went to bed last night I left my iTunes downloading a movie so something else happened last night while my iTunes was running on my laptop.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I should also mention that the only playlists remaining are the ones that come with iTunes, recently played, etc.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
No. They are still on my phone because I haven't plugged it into my laptop since this happened but they are gone from my iTunes on my laptop. All of the songs are there, just not my playlists. I use one master playlist to keep my songs separate from my kids' music plus I had a handful of shorter playlists too. I am freaking out because they were just there last night. I was just using iTunes last night and they were there and now this morning they are gone. I have downloaded a couple of new songs this morning and I could download them directly to my phone from the cloud but I don't know how I would get them into the proper playlists that are still intact on my phone. Its also weird that every single one of my songs now shows with the cloud symbol next to it which is something new for my iTunes library. I've been using iTunes since its inception and so some of my older music like stuff I had from my CDs and my naughty Napster days, up until now, didn't have the cloud symbol. Its like overnight something crazy happened. I'm not currently an iTunes Match participant either although I was planning to do it in the Fall when iTunes Radio gets going. When I went to bed last night I left my iTunes downloading a movie so something else happened last night while my iTunes was running on my laptop.

That is weird. Almost like your library got set to default.

The only thing I can help you with is to add the songs to your playlist on your phone. Enter your playlist, and go to the top where the search bar is. Hit the plus sign, then navigate to the song(s) you just downloaded. Tap them to add the song(s) to the playlist, then hit done.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
This morning when I opened iTunes all of my playlists are gone! It looks like ALL my songs are in the cloud now, not just some of them. I am freaking out about my playlists though! One of my playlists had like 1200 songs on it! Am I going to have to reconstruct all those playlists manually or is there a way to restore them? I suppose I don't dare sync my phone with my iTunes now since that will probably erase my playlists still on my phone. Am I the only one this has happened to?

Is iTunes Match turned on some how ? The cloud symbol I don't thin should be there. When was your last iCloud back up ? You can try to restore your phone and load your backup to see if they come back

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure how match could be turned on. Don't you have to pay for that? Also, the movie I was downloading when I went to bed last night is nowhere to be found. I was renting Identity Thief and I never even got to watch it. I suppose I'm just going to have to invest the time to re-create my playlists. Its not the worst thing in the world I just wish I knew how it happened so it doesn't happen again after I get my playlists back in order.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok, now I've discovered not all my music is showing up in iTunes like I thought it was. Its still on my hard drive but not showing up in my library. ITunes use to be able to search your hard drive for music and add it to your library but I don't see that option anymore. Now you have to add individual files. Is that right because it will take me hours to add all the files individually. I have one for every artist and every artist has a sub-file for every album. I'm am beyond disgusted at this point.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I found how to add a folder to iTunes instead of just a file so my music is now being imported back in to my library. Its so weird. Its almost like someone uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled it overnight.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Do you have a backup of the computer from prior to the issues? If so grab the >music>itunes folder from backup.

The other option that might work, is to plug the phone in to the PC and select "transfer to pc" it may or may not work, but if you are going to have to redo the playlists anyway then it cant hurt to try that. The worst case it the ones on your phone go away too.

MutantOne

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I had the same thing happen to me. I found a simple solution for iTunes on Windows users.

First, make sure iTunes is closed. Next, navigate to Music\iTunes\Previous iTunes Libraries. That folder will contain several .itl (iTunes Library) files. The most recent one (named "iTunes Library YYYY-MM-DD.itl") is the Library file you had before updating iTunes. Copy that Library file and paste it in the iTunes folder. Next rename the current iTunes Library.itl to "iTunes Library.itl.OLD". Finally, rename the Library file you copied into the folder to "iTunes Library.itl (basically, you're removing the date. When you next open iTunes, it will have all your missing playlists.

Pelipen

Apr 22, 2018
Visit site
Re: Take a Deep Reassuring Breath...OMG what happended to my playlists?!!!!!!

...Be assured that your playlists are safe, in iCloud. If THIS is the problem, it’s a SIMPLE, SIMPLE, EASY fix:

1) Close your iTunes Music App
2) Open Settings on your phone and scroll down to “Music.” (It’s just under “Safari,” in Settings (for iPhone’s) .
3) Scroll down to “iCloud Music Library.”
4) If the radio button is OFF, then turn it on.
5) Open your iTunes Music app and tap on “Playlists.” They will begin downloading to your phone.

VOILÁ!! I hope this works for you ...and any others, with this issue!!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Take a Deep Reassuring Breath...OMG what happended to my playlists?!!!!!!

...Be assured that your playlists are safe, in iCloud. If THIS is the problem, it’s a SIMPLE, SIMPLE, EASY fix:

1) Close your iTunes Music App
2) Open Settings on your phone and scroll down to “Music.” (It’s just under “Safari,” in Settings (for iPhone’s) .
3) Scroll down to “iCloud Music Library.”
4) If the radio button is OFF, then turn it on.
5) Open your iTunes Music app and tap on “Playlists.” They will begin downloading to your phone.

VOILÁ!! I hope this works for you ...and any others, with this issue!!

This thread is 3 years old.