Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

65 Posts

Default Hard drive crashed-have questions about syncing

Ok so my laptop had a catastrophic failure of the hard drive so I can't retrieve anything off of it. I do have a back up of all my ripped music though. When I load Itunes on my laptop again I am worried I will lose my pictures that I had synced with a particular folder. It includes all my wedding photos and some other important pics that weren't taken with the phone. Since that folder no longer exists, what happens when I sync my phone for the first time? I just hope that since it won't find the folder that it won't just wipe them off my phone. I do have them all on an old computer but I was hoping to not have to transfer all that over again.

Also with my music-will it move all my music from my phone to the laptop or do I need to just pull it all off of the old computer too? I didn't have an iphone when I swapped to my current lap top so I haven't dealt with what to do when starting with a blank drive.

8,230 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,342 Global Posts

Default Re: Hard drive crashed-have questions about syncing

Unfortunately, I think when you try to sync the phone with iTunes, you are going to get a message along the lines of "this phone is already sync'd with another library, syncing it will delete the contents of the phone and replace with the contents of this library". I'm fairly sure that this applies to your apps and music, less sure about the photos.

An option to try would be one of the iPhone Explorer type of programs (there are a few out there but I don't remember their names) which allow some traversal of the directories on the phone and the copying of music (and maybe photos) off of it. This does not require a jailbreak. Maybe someone who's used one of these programs can chime in with their experience.