Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By JustMe'D
  • 1 Post By TurboTiger
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Global Posts
    21,611 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default iTunes or iCloud Backups: Which is better?

iCloud Backup vs iTunes Backup:

Which is better?
    One of the most frequently asked questions throughout the forum is “which is better -- iCloud backups or iTunes backups? Well, Apple sums it up nicely if you care to read it in detail. In the meantime, I will take the primary parts and list them in this guide. This guide does not focus on what is backed up, data consumption or anything like that. This is merely a tool to help you determine which may be the best method for you. For detailed information about iTunes & iCloud backup, click on the links below.

When is iTunes Backup the best choice for me?
    is traditionally how users have backed up their iOS devices, and it continues to serve the needs of many users. iTunes Backup is best for you if:

• You frequently use the computer that hosts your iTunes Backups.
    • You don't have an iCloud account or don't want to use iCloud.
    • The photos and videos saved in your device’s Camera Roll regularly exceed 1 GB in size or you tend to have very large backups.
    • You want on-site and networked backups.
    • You would like a manual or secondary backup solution to use in conjunction with iCloud Backup (see below).

Note: Keep in mind that iTunes Backup does not create a duplicate back up of your movies, music, podcasts, and apps. As noted in , your media content is .

When is iCloud Backup the best choice for me?
    provides an easy and reliable backup solution for users who want to back up their iOS devices wirelessly and automatically without tethering to a computer. iCloud Backup is best for you if:

• You prefer that iCloud take care of backups for you automatically when your device is connected to Wi-Fi and power.
    • You want to restore data to your device from almost anywhere via a broadband Wi-Fi connection.
    • You don’t connect your iOS device to a Mac or PC very frequently.
    • You don’t own a Mac or PC.
    • You would like an automatic backup solution to use in conjunction with iTunes Backup (see below).

Note: iCloud Backup does not back up music, movies, and TV shows that you did not purchase from the iTunes Store, or any podcasts, audio books, or photos that you originally .
    iCloud Backup will restore your purchased music, movie, and app content from the iTunes and App Stores during the background restore process.
    Previous purchases may be unavailable if they are no longer in the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBookstore.

Hopefully, you now have a general idea of which backup be the best option for “you”. If you’d like more detail about the two, click on the links below.

Thanked by:
    deucedub#CB (06-26-2013), jclisenby (06-26-2013), kataran (05-03-2013), TurboTiger (06-26-2013), wendybeee (05-03-2013)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,204 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: iTunes or iCloud Backups: Which is better?

This is EXCELLENT D !!! Thank you so much for taking the time to put this together
    Thanked by:
    deucedub#CB (06-26-2013)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    377 Global Posts

I do both. Most often to iCloud but whenever I think about it I try to back up to to iTunes.

When my wife bought her new iPhone 5 we got a message from iCloud stating the backup was corrupt (or something like that) and I never could get to work. Since then I don't completely trust it.
    Follow me on the Twitter - @_jorts
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Global Posts
    21,611 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by kilcher View Post
    I do both. Most often to iCloud but whenever I think about it I try to back up to to iTunes.

When my wife bought her new iPhone 5 we got a message from iCloud stating the backup was corrupt (or something like that) and I never could get to work. Since then I don't completely trust it.
    I wouldn't either under those circumstances, but fortunately, I've yet to run into any issues with iCloud. Still, like you, I backup to both.

thank you
    webOS for life

iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

kill them with kindness :-)

Global Posts
    15,679 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

iCloud - It's 2013..... I don't need to use a cable unless I am plugging in to charge.
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Global Posts
    21,611 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by wendybeee View Post
    This is EXCELLENT D !!! Thank you so much for taking the time to put this together

Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    thank you
    You're very welcome...
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,074 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

I am with most here that i just feel safer with iTunes but does not mean I will change down the line.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

iPhone Nanite

Default iTunes or iCloud Backups: Which is better?

You can do both. The thing you have to pick is which one you want to be automatic and which one you want to be manual. When you pick one that's what it's doing...saying which one is auto. It's not saying you can't do the other method in addition.

I have iCloud set to automatic so it happens when I'm asleep. Then, about once a week or so, when my phone is plugged in to iTunes I right-click it and tell it to back up. That way I have both.

If I'm ever planning ahead to restore (like, a I'm getting a new phone) I'll make a new iTunes back-up and use that. It's much faster.

But if my phone ever falls in a lake I'll be glad I have that nightly iCloud back-up that's probably newer than my iTunes back-up. In that case I'd restore from iCloud.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 06-19-2013 at 07:24 AM.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,462 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Great info JMD.
    Tsk for taking the time to put it together.
    Good Lck

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 Mavericks 10.9.4
    Cigar Lover
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,462 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Young Godz View Post
    You can do both. The thing you have to pick is which one you want to be automatic and which one you want to be manual. When you pick one that's what it's doing...saying which one is auto. It's not saying you can't do the other method in addition.

I have iCloud set to automatic so it happens when I'm asleep. Then, about once a week or so, when my phone is plugged in to iTunes I right-click it and tell it to back up. That way I have both.

If I'm ever planning ahead to restore (like, a I'm getting a new phone) I'll make a new iTunes back-up and use that. It's much faster.

But if my phone ever falls in a lake I'll be glad I have that nightly iCloud back-up that's probably newer than my iTunes back-up. In that case I'd restore from iCloud.
    You can also do a manual backup on iCloud.
    Good Luck

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 Mavericks 10.9.4
    Cigar Lover
    JustMe'D likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,883 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by kilcher View Post

I have had this happen as well kind of sucked ..
    I personally use iCloud though have not had a issue besides that one time .. I only recommend a normal backup if you have a big camera roll on say a 32 gig or 64 gig phone or ipad and you don't have enough iCloud storage and you don't want to buy it .

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !