I'm trying to fix my iTunes screwup

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
OK, so I needed some space on my drive, so I copied my entire Documents, Pictures, Music, and Videos directories to two external hard drives. I then deleted the music one on my PC to get some space back. I opened iTunes, and it was empty, of course, but I changed the music folder to the one on the external drive. I still have no music, apps, videos, etc (except for iCloud ones). I manually added the single .MP3 files from the folder, but I kept the bulk my music organized by folder. If I were to add each track back individually, it will take me days.

Is there a way to rebuild the iTunes library in one or two steps? Also, where did the apps and videos go? Since I copied over all the folders, including the one called "iTunes" from the drive, shouldn't I just be able to point iTunes to the new directory location?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I'd have to check for the exact commands on Windows. For Apple, just open iTunes, choose File -> Add to Library. Choose the folder you wish to add and hit open.

That will add all of the subfolders and files.

Windows is something similar.

Just keep in mind, if you choose to copy and organize your music files to the default folder, it will bring music back to the HD. Either change your default folder to the external or disable the copy/organize settings.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
When I tried that, it only imported the files that were in the "music" directory, not the ones in subdirectories.

Also, it occurred to me, what will happen if I sync my phone or iPad to iTunes at this point? I have it set to iCloud sync, but if I want to add music or books, I have to sync. Will I lose what I have on my iPhone if I sync it with iTunes in this condition?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
When I tried that, it only imported the files that were in the "music" directory, not the ones in subdirectories.

Also, it occurred to me, what will happen if I sync my phone or iPad to iTunes at this point? I have it set to iCloud sync, but if I want to add music or books, I have to sync. Will I lose what I have on my iPhone if I sync it with iTunes in this condition?
I believe you would. You might want to disable music syncing until you get a handle on the library.

Try working into the folder that contains all of your Artists and selecting a group of those. I understand there's subfolders there, but when I dragged to select ~6, I saw iTunes doing a quick check to ensure everything in those folders was included when I told it to add them to my Library.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I'll try that.

I don't have music syncing turned on on my phone. I just drag the tracks into iTunes while my phone is connected and it copies those tracks only. Am I still at risk?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I'll try that.

I don't have music syncing turned on on my phone. I just drag the tracks into iTunes while my phone is connected and it copies those tracks only. Am I still at risk?

Plug your phone in and select it. On the top of the display, hit Music. If "Sync Music" is unchecked, it won't look at your music. If you uncheck it, it should ask if you'd like to delete what's already on the phone. Say no. That buys you the time to figure it all out. If it's already unchecked((it sounds like it is)) it shouldn't be an issue.

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
If your on windows I believe if you launch iTunes with control pressed you can tell iTunes where your library is located. This is assuming you copied the entire directory and not just the media. From there it will launch and rebuild indexes etc. and continue to launch from your external drive from here on out. If your on a Mac I believe you replace the control key with the function key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2