Anyone still buy music?

derickson328

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone still buys music on iTunes or if everything is now about renting from Spotify, Rdio, or (name other web music host)? It seems like I only ever see people talk about switching to Spotify etc. and how great the services are, but I still have a hard time seeing the allure. I prefer the Music app to the third party apps (especially when integrating into car stereos) because it has a cleaner and easier layout generally (took me forever to find the dedicated Airplay button on Spotify). I understand that for $9.99/mo. you have access to a lot of music, but they still lack a lot too. Since nowadays it seems that albums are on sale constantly between iTunes, Amazon, and Google Play, and DRM is gone so it doesn't matter where you buy from, buying albums is easier and cheaper than ever. Anyways, just wondering if anyone else still prefers to purchase or if maybe I'm missing the real tangible benefits to the streaming music companies.

Thanks for input.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I rarely purchase music anymore. Maybe it's because I'm getting up in age or something...:)...I really don't listen to a lot of today's music unless I'm in the car with my wife and/or kids. I prefer conservative talk radio and old school music (of which I have a ton backed up on an external drive). As for Internet radio, I prefer to listen to Pandora because the old school custom channels I configure provide what I like in comparison to Spotift, 8Track and others I've tried.

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I've got a bunch of old records (you know, vinyl discs that rotate at 33 1/3 RPM and are read through a swing arm mechanism containing a tiny needle) that I am dying to rip into MP3 format. Geez, do you think I'm showing my age? :p

Sent from somewhere

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
due to music i stream i have disvovered so many bands that i ended up liking and purchasing their music

kind of a costly method but i cannot tell you how many times i have purchased a CD just to find out there were really only 1-2 good songs on it

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm not that old, and yes I still purchase music from my favorite artists, even though I use songza mostly to find new music mostly.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've got a bunch of old records (you know, vinyl discs that rotate at 33 1/3 RPM and are read through a swing arm mechanism containing a tiny needle) that I am dying to rip into MP3 format. Geez, do you think I'm showing my age? :p

Sent from somewhere

(laughing)....Yes, you are showing your age, but I'm right there with you, my friend. I'd take the wholesome and cracking sound of an LP or 45 record over a CD any day...:)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
About 10 years ago, my husband and I actually "ripped" music off of cassette.

Really? I can't even remember the last time I played music from a cassette player. I replaced a majority of my cassettes with a CD version with the exception of the custom ones I made and I think I threw them all away.

cckgz4

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Combo of streaming (Spotify) and purchasing through iTunes or Google Music. If I hear an album on Spotify I really like, I go ahead and purchase it

GGRRAAFT

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Music is not the soundtrack of my life. Mainly I listen to news/talk radio or podcasts when I need sound. I do appreciate music, and use a few good applications to create my own. I find my new music song by song using soundhound from TV shows, movies or commercials. I don't listen to a lot music, but if I did I would prefer to own it over random streaming. I don't rent movies on iTunes, I buy them, and Netflix is for the girlfriend to catch up on her shows. I think it is a generational thing though, where $9.99 a month vs $9.99 per album, for kids today the latter seems "free" vs the old school deliberate choice to hand select and appreciate. But I'm just an old man rambling. Get off my lawn!

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I still buy music but only in mp3 nowadays. It's easy for me to just download a album from amazon or iTunes and have it on all of my devices. If I want to listen to it in my car I just connect my phone or iPod and let it play. No more scratched CDs

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
It depends on the music. There are just soo many streaming services out there like Songza that make playlists for you and have new content readily available. However, I have been enticed to purchase some albums off iTunes and will start to make a habit of it in the future.

vwarp

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I am very fickle minded and get bored of music quickly, so the only sustainable option for me is streaming. I currently use Spotify... I am tempted to buy music, but I must decide, if it something I will never get tired of..

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Would buy my favrite CDs, and also buys some from iTunes. Some times use tools like ifunia AudioConverter to convert videos to music.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner