Apple IDs and iTunes on one PC

redsandvb

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Can one computer/iTunes be authorized for more than one Apple ID? For example an iPad with one ID and an iPhone with a different ID, can they be used/synced with the same Win7 computer/iTunes? What happens with the apps, etc?

Thanks! :cool:

redsandvb

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Apple IDs and iTunes

Thanks.

Went through the link, I understand the part about setting up multiple OS accounts but the rest is a bit foggy to me (it doesn't mention Apple IDs either). I'd like to avoid multiple accounts in Windows, can I?

I'll try to explain my situation as best I can... We've had an iPad for a while as our one and only apple device. I don't use it much, it's another family member's, and that family member doesn't use my computer at all. It's synced to my computer, though, because it's the only one available. That iPad has an Apple ID used to buy its apps and it is authorized in iTunes by going to Store-->Authorize This Computer. The ID is their email address, but my credit card/payment info.
Now, a friend has given me their old iPhone. If I use the same ID as above, receipts for any purchases I make will be emailed to them (I don't exactly want that). If I use a new Apple ID, can I use iTunes and authorize Both IDs at once?

The article mentions playlists and libraries. I guess playlist=music, Does library=music+video+books? What about pics? Are Apps a separate thing?

The devices are not used for music, maybe in the future. It looks like I can select what particular apps, books, etc I want to sync with each device. Am I correct there? I just don't understand the Apple ID part...and probably other things I can't think of at the moment.

Thanks again :)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

You need to set up the iTunes & AppStore on the iPhone with the same AppleID you're using on the iPad... nothing will go to the previous user of the iPhone with regards to your purchases...

redsandvb

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

Sorry, I wasn't clear on that. I know my purchase info won't go to the previous owner of the iPhone, but if I use the same ID as on the iPad the info will go to that ID/email address...right? Right now, the iPad's ID is the email address of the family member who uses it (the iPad). I let them make their own purchases, but using my credit card, so they get their own receipts. Can I use a new ID/email for the iPhone so that I get the purchase info sent to my own email address? I'm guessing yes, but can I then use the same computer/iTunes the iPad uses AND authorize that new ID/email (for the iPhone) at the same time? In other words can I authorize the computer/iTunes for both IDs at the same time (without making a new Windows account)?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, I wasn't clear on that. I know my purchase info won't go to the previous owner of the iPhone, but if I use the same ID as on the iPad the info will go to that ID/email address...right?
If I understood you correctly, the answer is YES.
Right now, the iPad's ID is the email address of the family member who uses it (the iPad). I let them make their own purchases, but using my credit card, so they get their own receipts.
Okay
Can I use a new ID/email for the iPhone so that I get the purchase info sent to my own email address? I'm guessing yes,
Yes. You can use a different Apple ID on your iPhone that is different from the one on the iPad.
but can I then use the same computer/iTunes the iPad uses AND authorize that new ID/email (for the iPhone) at the same time? In other words can I authorize the computer/iTunes for both IDs at the same time (without making a new Windows account)?

Thanks!
That is where I get confused. First of all, you do not need iTunes to make purchases on your iPhone and iPad. You can do that directly from the devices as long as they are connected to the internet. That internet access can be via Wi-Fi or cellular data. You cannot be signed in to iTunes at the same time with two different Apple IDs on your computer without having a separate account on that computer and therefore it would be easier to make your purchases directly from the iPhone and iPad. You will still get an email receipt a few days later of the purchases you made.

redsandvb

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the help :)

Yes. You can use a different Apple ID on your iPhone that is different from the one on the iPad.

That is where I get confused. First of all, you do not need iTunes to make purchases on your iPhone and iPad. You can do that directly from the devices as long as they are connected to the internet. That internet access can be via Wi-Fi or cellular data. You cannot be signed in to iTunes at the same time with two different Apple IDs on your computer without having a separate account on that computer and therefore it would be easier to make your purchases directly from the iPhone and iPad. You will still get an email receipt a few days later of the purchases you made.
Ok, so our purchases have indeed been made directly on the iPad.

My confusion comes from the assumption that in order to sync a device to the computer/iTunes one first has to go to Store-->Authorize This Computer for the Apple ID in use on the device. Do you not need to? Also, What's the difference between Store-->Authorize... and Store-->Sign In?

So, in order to use two separate IDs for the devices, I need to either 1) use different Windows accts or 2) use separate libraries as the article says? I'm not clear on exactly what a 'library' is. Does that basically mean everything that is synced?

Either way, I'm still confused. If the iPad's ID is authorized while I'm syncing it, after I'm done do I need to De-authorize it and authorize the iPhone's ID in order to sync it (the iPhone)?

Thanks again!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the help :)
You're very welcome.

Ok, so our purchases have indeed been made directly on the iPad.
Understood.

My confusion comes from the assumption that in order to sync a device to the computer/iTunes one first has to go to Store-->Authorize This Computer for the Apple ID in use on the device. Do you not need to? Also, What's the difference between Store-->Authorize... and Store-->Sign In?
Yes, but it is often an automatic process. Authorization is getting permission to sync your purchased items to your computers. Sign-in is logging into iTunes so that Apple will know who you are. You can read about iTunes Authorization & de-Authorization HERE.

So, in order to use two separate IDs for the devices, I need to either 1) use different Windows accts or 2) use separate libraries as the article says? I'm not clear on exactly what a 'library' is. Does that basically mean everything that is synced?

Either way, I'm still confused. If the iPad's ID is authorized while I'm syncing it, after I'm done do I need to De-authorize it and authorize the iPhone's ID in order to sync it (the iPhone)?

Thanks again!
For your situation, I recommend you use two separate computers to sync the two devices.

redsandvb

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

For your situation, I recommend you use two separate computers to sync the two devices.
Unfortunately, can't do that.

So, since I'd like to avoid multiple Windows accts, using separate libraries should work? Does that allow me to use two devices with separate IDs? Or is that for multiple devices using the same ID? How in the world do familes w/ kids' and parents' devices do this? :confused: And am I right assuming Apple means everything synced when they say 'Library'?

Thanks again!

redsandvb

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

Thanks!

Now if Apple's article (linked to in the 1st reply) mentioned IDs I might not have been so confused...:p