Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Default Connecting iPhone 5 to iTunes for 1st time question.

Since purchasing my iPhone 5 I've done all of my updates OTA, I'm now trying to prepare for the imminent jailbreak and have connected my phone to the computer for the first time. When I click on it on the left-hand column I get the "Welcome to your new iPhone" screen and it's asking me to set my phone up as new. I've only backed up to iCloud to this point and I'm unsure if I should click continue in iTunes, will this restore my phone to the way it was when I purchased it and if so will all my data come back through the iCloud backup?
    iPhone5 32gb, iPad2 64gb wifi, Apple TV3, MacBook Air
    Team JailBreak
    @LondonComp

Global Posts
    19,427 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by WreakingHavoc View Post
    Since purchasing my iPhone 5 I've done all of my updates OTA, I'm now trying to prepare for the imminent jailbreak and have connected my phone to the computer for the first time. When I click on it on the left-hand column I get the "Welcome to your new iPhone" screen and it's asking me to set my phone up as new. I've only backed up to iCloud to this point and I'm unsure if I should click continue in iTunes, will this restore my phone to the way it was when I purchased it and if so will all my data come back through the iCloud backup?
    I'm assuming you have a Windows machine. Anyway, you should NOT select to set your device as new if all you want to do is back it up via iTunes. I'm no longer familiar with Windows machines but there should be option to simply backup your device.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

That was the only purpose of me connecting it to the computer was to do a back up on the computer anticipating that I would need to use iTunes for the jailbreak. I've looked all over and I can't find the option to just back up the device usually I would right-click on it where it shows up on the left-hand column and choose "back up" but there is no option there. Also it doesn't show up in the right-hand big column because I haven't gone through the process of setting it up on this computer yet.
    Team JailBreak
    @LondonComp
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Does anyone have a solution/explanation. I still haven't connected it and don't know if I should bother now that I've done the OTA update.
    Team JailBreak
    @LondonComp

Global Posts
    19,427 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Connecting iPhone 5 to iTunes for 1st time question.

Quote Originally Posted by WreakingHavoc View Post
    Does anyone have a solution/explanation. I still haven't connected it and don't know if I should bother now that I've done the OTA update.
    I do not know how it is in Windows, but after you connect your iPhone to your computer via USB and initiate the iTunes app, the device is recognized and the word "iPhone" appears in the upper right corner of the screen underneath the "search Library" field. When I click on "iPhone", I am taken to the summary page where I can select "Backup Now" under the heading "Backups".
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Thanks D, I'm not going to bother connecting it to iTunes I'll just cross my fingers that the JB will go ok with the OTA update.
    Team JailBreak
    @LondonComp