Handbrake Anyone

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used it in a while, but I know it is a great trans whatever you call it!! Anyway, I have forgotten a few things.

I usually use the presets as they seem to work. If I am taking some video files, and I want to get them into iTunes, how do I do so? Likely, the files are located in the VIDEO_TS folder after you decode/decrypt a disk if you follow me, so quite a few. Anyway, to get them into iTunes as MP4 files I would assume, what do I do? Use the ATV 2 or ATV 3 presets? I just want to be able to play them in iTunes and then airplay to ATV. I suppose I could also put that MP4 file on my iPhone 5 and watch it as well or is that a separate transcode or whatever you call it?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if you're doing it from a DVD but yes the Apple TV 2 or 3 presets should work fine. And it should work fine on your iPhone as well.

For a commercial DVD you may have get around DRM and figure out which chapter of the DVD has the main movie and only convert that chapter.

You can easily accomplish that by installing the VLC app on your Mac. There’s also a patch to make VLC 2.0 work with Handbrake. (Link)
NOTE: Please don’t use this method to pirate movies and videos... only rip it if you own it.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I have a PC. Yes, I am ripping my own DVD using a decryption program which then provides multiple vob and whatever files. I am not in front of it now. What I want to do is grab the folder with the files (VIDEO_TS) and then convert them to MP4 to play in iTunes, stream to ATV and use on my iPhone. I know handbrake can do that but I want to use the proper preset to do so.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely will. Thanks!

I would assume even since I have an ATV2, encoding to ATV3 should still work on the ATV2? You know how I am a stickler for details.... ;-)

DamnSkippy

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
If you have the DVD in the drive and your app decrypts it on the fly then you can just point handbrake to the drive and it will scan it then give you a list of titles and their lengths. Select the longest one for the full movie ATV2 preset and you are good to go. The source is only 480p so the ATV3 preset is not going to make you much difference. I recommend moving the quality slider to 17 and adding the AC3 5.1 track in under the AAC as a pass through so you can still get surround sound when watching it on your ATV (you have to select it after you start playing it). It has to be the second audio track though or you wont get sound on your iPhone/iPad etc.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711