Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Default iTunes 11 freezes when my iPhone 3GS is plugged in what to do?

Every time I plug my iphone to sync or add music iTunes freezes until I unplug it... And I'm confused cause most of my music added cd or hard drive won't work that message that says song can be located pops up any advice?

Global Posts
    14,613 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1

Default Re: iTunes 11 freezes when my iPhone 3GS is plugged in what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by eriej814 View Post
    Every time I plug my iphone to sync or add music iTunes freezes until I unplug it... And I'm confused cause most of my music added cd or hard drive won't work that message that says song can be located pops up any advice?
    Is your 3G updated to the lastest software update 6.0.1? If not I would update and if so I don't know because i am not understanding the last part of your question?
    ~JAG~
    Ambassador @ iMore

​In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Newbie

Ya my phone is updated.... Oh the second part of the question was unrelated to the phone but about ever since I updated my iTunes most of the music "can't be located" when I try to play it minus the iCloud music...
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Newbie

So I updated both my phone and updated iTunes and it still freezes when my phone gets plugged in... Kinda lame any advice?
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Newbie

Does anyone know how to fix this problem... I have tried all I know... Still freezes when I plug my iphone into computer... And stays frozen until I unplug it... Any advice?
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

You have a computer issue not an iPhone issue. iTunes no longer points to the right directory where the music in iTunes is... Or where it thinks it is! For example if you have all your songs saved in c:\music and old iTunes used to look there for it and built your library off it, if the updated iTunes is looking for music in c:\itunes, you will get that popup.
    iMore Intermediate

Make sure that your AMD (apple mobile device service) is running and its startup type is set to "Automatic". To do so hit the Windows button on your keyboard, type "services", hit enter. From the services window go to the Apple MD service, right-click > Properties.

Regarding your missing-tracks trouble - did you move your iTunes Media folder from one location to the next recently? Your iTunes does not find the locations of your songs in the places where they were previously located.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iPhone Newbie

So guys my wife just got an iPhone 4 and when she plugs it in it works and adds songs but my 3GS still doesn't work so does that make it a phone issue?
    iPhone Newbie

I too suppose its a phone issue.because the iTunes works with iPhone 4 so it should be a phone issue.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by eriej814 View Post
    So guys my wife just got an iPhone 4 and when she plugs it in it works and adds songs but my 3GS still doesn't work so does that make it a phone issue?
    Quite possible. Have you thought of cold-restarting your 3GS? - press and hold the home and sleep/wake button until you see the Apple logo. If not, I foresee an iPhone factory-settings reset
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iPhone Newbie

I got it to sync once now but it eventually freezes again so than I have to start over... Would syncing over wifi work.. Can you manually sync your music over wifi I don't know how it works? Thanks for the help so far much appreciated!
    iMore Intermediate

I don't think that wifi would solve your problem, especially since iTunes on your PC has a hard time connecting to your iPhone. You could eventually enable wifi sync with iTunes on your iPhone by going to Settings > General > iTunes Wi-Fi Sync
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iPhone Newbie

So I decided to try the restore and erase all my stuff to see if that would help... So it downloaded and then, with my iphone connected just sat there saying "preparing to sync" but never did I eventually unplugged it and gave up and my phone still works now its just got no music on it and still freezes when I connect it to the computer... I think I might have to give up and suffer till July