Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Ringfinger's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    601 Posts
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default iTunes/iTunes Match Multiple Phones/Computers

    Some final questions in my continuing saga:

    1. My main PC (laptop) has iTunes 11 on it. It is a fresh new laptop and a fresh install of iTunes. I have sharing turned on as well as iTunes match. This PC accesses the music files locally (stored on an NAS) and when I travel, I use the "cloud" to access my music (different library file to do so) which of course is on iTunes match. It is logged into my iTunes account which also has the iTunes match subscription. I back my iPhone 5 to it.



    2. My wife has a laptop. I would like to install iTunes 11 on it, enable sharing, and have her access iTunes match. It will be a "dummy computer" that only access iTunes match and home sharing. My wife has her own iTunes account. To do this, will I still log it in under my iTunes ID and then enable iTunes match on it? Or, can I log in to iTunes under her name and does it make a difference? Is it best for me to back up her iPhone to my laptop as well since that is the "main" laptop?



    3. My son has a laptop. Same questions and statements as #2 above. Where do I back-up his phone? He currently backs up his iPhone to the desktop in the basement. I will enable him to back up to the cloud, however if I have to do a local back-up, what computer should I use? He also has music stored locally on his phone and I am unsure if I am going to enable match on his phone, if not, how will he get music on his phone? I don't want his laptop to access the NAS with music on it so what should I do? Maybe I will need to allow him access to the cloud?



    4. I have a desktop in the basement. It used to be the "main" computer. It had all of our back-ups and everything on it until I got my laptop. I assume I could set it up like #2 above?



    5. I want to enable iTunes match in my wife's iPhone. I know how to do that, but I imagine I will have to log it into the iTunes/App store under my ID so that I can turn on iTunes match? Will that affect her back-ups at all like I was referring to above? I want to make sure if I plug it into my laptop to back-up, it wont merge our phones somehow.



    Are there any questions that I missed or flaws in my approach?
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  
    Ringfinger's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    601 Posts
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default Re: iTunes/iTunes Match Multiple Phones/Computers

    Too much at once?

  3. #3  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    5,576 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default iTunes/iTunes Match Multiple Phones/Computers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    Too much at once?

    I'll get back to you. I had the kids on my own yesterday so I didn't have a chance. I'll try to reply tonight.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    Ringfinger's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    601 Posts
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default Re: iTunes/iTunes Match Multiple Phones/Computers

    Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    I'll get back to you. I had the kids on my own yesterday so I didn't have a chance. I'll try to reply tonight.

    You are the best. As an aside, I have become aware that one can only back up their iPhone to one computer, so therin lies some difficulty. I think 100% reliance on iCloud may be my only hope, see below what I posted and learned of on the Apple boards:

    MegsiPhone wrote:



    This user tip may help too

    Syncing to a "New" Computer or replacing a "crashed" Hard Drive

    I must tell you, I am in the situation that MegsiPhone described and I am confused as to what to do. Here is what I have done thus far:



    1. I installed iTunes on my new computer, I wen't ahead and set up a new library file locally, and pointed to my NAS for all the music and movies file in edit>advanced. From what I recall, when I did I can remember getting a whole bunch of messages about apps, new versions, overwriting. I don't recall, regadless I dismissed each on and did not override. Anyway, that's all done now.



    2. I can tell you that I used to back up three iPhones and an iPod touch to my old PC. There is a mixture of 4 iTunes ID's with various app purchases, it seems a mess.



    3. I did plug my phone in, it gave me the error message about syncing only to one computer. Then I did a back-up and a sync. I know it did not work right because it took a matter of seconds when I know it should take a lot longer. Anyway, as a safeguard I am using iCloud back-up for now before I do anything else.





    So, what do I do now to make this all right? I would like to be able to sync mine and my wife's iPhone to the computer. Should I not bother and just keep my back-up in the cloud and are there disadvantages to this? For my son's iPhone, I can let him back-up to the old computer, I would assume that would remain good and I would not have any issues. Should I erase the back-up on my new computer, erase the appss or whatever and start from scratch? Kind of not sure how to handle, please help.
  5. #5  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    11,055 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

    Default Re: iTunes/iTunes Match Multiple Phones/Computers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    2. My wife has a laptop. I would like to install iTunes 11 on it, enable sharing, and have her access iTunes match. It will be a "dummy computer" that only access iTunes match and home sharing. My wife has her own iTunes account. To do this, will I still log it in under my iTunes ID and then enable iTunes match on it? Or, can I log in to iTunes under her name and does it make a difference? Is it best for me to back up her iPhone to my laptop as well since that is the "main" laptop?
    You will need to log into your iTunes account to enable iTunes Match. You can only backup an iPhone to a single computer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    3. My son has a laptop. Same questions and statements as #2 above. Where do I back-up his phone? He currently backs up his iPhone to the desktop in the basement. I will enable him to back up to the cloud, however if I have to do a local back-up, what computer should I use? He also has music stored locally on his phone and I am unsure if I am going to enable match on his phone, if not, how will he get music on his phone? I don't want his laptop to access the NAS with music on it so what should I do? Maybe I will need to allow him access to the cloud?
    Same answers as above. He can only sync to a single computer - that solves a lot of your problems. You might want to consider consolidating everyone's music, putting it all on your computer to add to Match.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    4. I have a desktop in the basement. It used to be the "main" computer. It had all of our back-ups and everything on it until I got my laptop. I assume I could set it up like #2 above?
    There really isn't any setting up to do. If you have sharing on, you don't need Match.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    5. I want to enable iTunes match in my wife's iPhone. I know how to do that, but I imagine I will have to log it into the iTunes/App store under my ID so that I can turn on iTunes match? Will that affect her back-ups at all like I was referring to above? I want to make sure if I plug it into my laptop to back-up, it wont merge our phones somehow.

    Are there any questions that I missed or flaws in my approach?
    Match doesn't have anything to do with backups. Match ONLY does music.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    Ringfinger's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    601 Posts
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default Re: iTunes/iTunes Match Multiple Phones/Computers

    As always, you all rock here. So, let me summarize:

    For my wife, log onto my iTunes account and turn on match, check.

    Set up my son the same way on his laptop, check.

    Basement same as wife and son, check.

    Now, what I meant was my son has songs that were synced from the old computer to his phone. If say I do not enable match on his iPhone, how will he get music onto it? Will he have to use my laptop and drag to his phone?

    Also, my son and wife have purchased music in their iTunes install they have now. How can I get those songs to my computer/NAS before I enable match/sharing on both of them?

    Now, you say match has nothing to do with music. What my question was is if I have match turned on my wife's iPhone and the iTunes ID she logs in under is mine, will that screw up her back-ups to the cloud? I would assume not as she can use her iTunes ID for cloud, iMessage and all that.

    Lastly, I understand I can only back-up to one computer, but now I don't know what to do as I did initiate a back-up to my new laptop and I know it is not right. Should I just rely on the cloud and not screw up my iTunes on my new laptop any more? Not sure how to locally back-up now.
  7. #7  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    5,576 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default Re: iTunes/iTunes Match Multiple Phones/Computers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    Some final questions in my continuing saga:

    1. My main PC (laptop) has iTunes 11 on it. It is a fresh new laptop and a fresh install of iTunes. I have sharing turned on as well as iTunes match. This PC accesses the music files locally (stored on an NAS) and when I travel, I use the "cloud" to access my music (different library file to do so) which of course is on iTunes match. It is logged into my iTunes account which also has the iTunes match subscription. I back my iPhone 5 to it.
    Ok
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    2. My wife has a laptop. I would like to install iTunes 11 on it, enable sharing, and have her access iTunes match. It will be a "dummy computer" that only access iTunes match and home sharing. My wife has her own iTunes account. To do this, will I still log it in under my iTunes ID and then enable iTunes match on it? Or, can I log in to iTunes under her name and does it make a difference? Is it best for me to back up her iPhone to my laptop as well since that is the "main" laptop?
    You need to be logged onto your account for iTunes Match. Which iTunes account you are logged into has no effect on iPhone backups because backups are just storing backup data (contacts, txts, app data, account info, etc) on the local hard drive. Home sharing also has no effect on backups. However, you can only backup a device to one instance of iTunes. However, the opposite is not true. You can sync more than one iPhone with the same iTunes instance. So she should backup/sync wherever is most convenient to her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    3. My son has a laptop. Same questions and statements as #2 above. Where do I back-up his phone? He currently backs up his iPhone to the desktop in the basement. I will enable him to back up to the cloud, however if I have to do a local back-up, what computer should I use? He also has music stored locally on his phone and I am unsure if I am going to enable match on his phone, if not, how will he get music on his phone? I don't want his laptop to access the NAS with music on it so what should I do? Maybe I will need to allow him access to the cloud?
    Same as above. You just have to pick one place to backup/sync. I suggest using iCloud backups and then just occasional backups while connecting to iTunes. It doesn't matter if you have the Home Sharing on the NAS or iMatch logged in on his laptop. When he backups/syncs his phone, in his chosen location, it should copy the music to that machine's hard drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    4. I have a desktop in the basement. It used to be the "main" computer. It had all of our back-ups and everything on it until I got my laptop. I assume I could set it up like #2 above?
    Sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    5. I want to enable iTunes match in my wife's iPhone. I know how to do that, but I imagine I will have to log it into the iTunes/App store under my ID so that I can turn on iTunes match? Will that affect her back-ups at all like I was referring to above? I want to make sure if I plug it into my laptop to back-up, it wont merge our phones somehow.
    Yes, you will have to log into iTunes/AppStore under your ID. It will have nothing to do with backups. It will not merge the phones.
  8. #8  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    5,576 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default Re: iTunes/iTunes Match Multiple Phones/Computers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    You are the best. As an aside, I have become aware that one can only back up their iPhone to one computer, so therin lies some difficulty. I think 100% reliance on iCloud may be my only hope, see below what I posted and learned of on the Apple boards:

    MegsiPhone wrote:



    This user tip may help too

    Syncing to a "New" Computer or replacing a "crashed" Hard Drive

    I must tell you, I am in the situation that MegsiPhone described and I am confused as to what to do. Here is what I have done thus far:
    That's sounds like a reasonable procedure to follow. And iCloud backups are great. It makes it really easy when you get a new device. It doesn't hurt to do occasional backups to your laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    2. I can tell you that I used to back up three iPhones and an iPod touch to my old PC. There is a mixture of 4 iTunes ID's with various app purchases, it seems a mess.
    You can back up as many devices as you need to one iTunes account. It's ok that the app purchases are mixed, you never run them on the computer anyway (and they can always be re-downloaded from the app store). If you installed an app that your son purchased for instance, it should let you, but you may need to supply his password especially for updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    3. I did plug my phone in, it gave me the error message about syncing only to one computer. Then I did a back-up and a sync. I know it did not work right because it took a matter of seconds when I know it should take a lot longer. Anyway, as a safeguard I am using iCloud back-up for now before I do anything else.
    iCloud backup is the way-to-go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    So, what do I do now to make this all right? I would like to be able to sync mine and my wife's iPhone to the computer. Should I not bother and just keep my back-up in the cloud and are there disadvantages to this? For my son's iPhone, I can let him back-up to the old computer, I would assume that would remain good and I would not have any issues. Should I erase the back-up on my new computer, erase the appss or whatever and start from scratch? Kind of not sure how to handle, please help.
    I would do iCloud backups on each device. For extra insurance, you can connect the devices to a laptop and do backups there.
  9. #9  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    5,576 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default Re: iTunes/iTunes Match Multiple Phones/Computers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    As always, you all rock here. So, let me summarize:

    For my wife, log onto my iTunes account and turn on match, check.

    Set up my son the same way on his laptop, check.

    Basement same as wife and son, check.
    Sounds good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    Now, what I meant was my son has songs that were synced from the old computer to his phone. If say I do not enable match on his iPhone, how will he get music onto it? Will he have to use my laptop and drag to his phone?
    If his computer has Home Sharing on, he should be able to see your library. Home Sharing then allows you to select media and copy it to that computer. From there he could sync his phone or drag the music onto it. Should not need to use your laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    Also, my son and wife have purchased music in their iTunes install they have now. How can I get those songs to my computer/NAS before I enable match/sharing on both of them?
    Enable Home Sharing on all computers. Then from your computer, you should be able to see their libraries. There's a Home Sharing option (it used to be at the bottom of the window, not sure with iTunes 11), that allows you to see all media on the remote computer or to only see media on the remote computer, but not on yours. From there, you can select that music and copy it to your library.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    Now, you say match has nothing to do with music. What my question was is if I have match turned on my wife's iPhone and the iTunes ID she logs in under is mine, will that screw up her back-ups to the cloud? I would assume not as she can use her iTunes ID for cloud, iMessage and all that.
    Correct. She will use your Apple ID for iTunes and the AppStore (and therefore iTunes Match), but iCloud backups will still be under her own Apple ID. You can see this by going to Settings -> iCloud and seeing the account used to log into iCloud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    Lastly, I understand I can only back-up to one computer, but now I don't know what to do as I did initiate a back-up to my new laptop and I know it is not right. Should I just rely on the cloud and not screw up my iTunes on my new laptop any more? Not sure how to locally back-up now.
    I would do iCloud backups with occasional local backups. Once you've started iCloud backups, when you connect your phone to the computer and go to iTunes and select the phone, you will see that you don't have an option for local backup (I think on the Info tab). However, if you right-click on the phone (in the sidebar, at least in iTunes 10), you will see an option to backup the phone. This is what you select.
  10. #10  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    11,055 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

    Default Re: iTunes/iTunes Match Multiple Phones/Computers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post

    Now, what I meant was my son has songs that were synced from the old computer to his phone. If say I do not enable match on his iPhone, how will he get music onto it? Will he have to use my laptop and drag to his phone?
    If you enable match on his phone, all the music currently on his phone will be removed. You can't have both.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    Also, my son and wife have purchased music in their iTunes install they have now. How can I get those songs to my computer/NAS before I enable match/sharing on both of them?
    You may need to burn that music to a cd to remove the drm and then copy it to your computer to add to your collection.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    Now, you say match has nothing to do with music. What my question was is if I have match turned on my wife's iPhone and the iTunes ID she logs in under is mine, will that screw up her back-ups to the cloud? I would assume not as she can use her iTunes ID for cloud, iMessage and all that.
    iTunes and iCloud ID's are two different things. Match is associated with your iTunes ID. Backup is done to iCloud.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    Lastly, I understand I can only back-up to one computer, but now I don't know what to do as I did initiate a back-up to my new laptop and I know it is not right. Should I just rely on the cloud and not screw up my iTunes on my new laptop any more? Not sure how to locally back-up now.
    Stick with iCloud.
    Thanked by:
    Ringfinger (12-12-2012)
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    Ringfinger's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    601 Posts
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default Re: iTunes/iTunes Match Multiple Phones/Computers

    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    If you enable match on his phone, all the music currently on his phone will be removed. You can't have both.



    You may need to burn that music to a cd to remove the drm and then copy it to your computer to add to your collection.



    iTunes and iCloud ID's are two different things. Match is associated with your iTunes ID. Backup is done to iCloud.



    Stick with iCloud.

    I guess the bottom line with my son is IF I don't enable match for his phone then so long as I have iCloud or sharing enabled on his computer, he can drag the songs from there. Thanks again!
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    Ringfinger's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    601 Posts
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default Re: iTunes/iTunes Match Multiple Phones/Computers

    Thank you all as always. You all are the best!

    I think I get it?

    By device:

    Basement-Sharing and match on. Locally stored itl file (that really has nothing in it as it was just set up as a new library, did not add music to it so to say so an empty library) that points to NAS-Overkill I know. Regardless, I can see the iTunes match music fine. All is well with this. I won't rip, backup or anything from this. It is just a dummy set-up if you will to play music.

    Wife's Laptop-I don't think she has any purchased music on it. If she does, I will get it off and into my account. I can do this by burning to CD's easiest as sharing between computers in iTunes 11 is spotty at best right now from my experience. Regardless, I will make sure she has a locally stored itl file, enable sharing and match. Nothing backed up to it, ripped, etc. Just another "dummy" set-up like the basement.

    Sons laptop-same as wife's laptop.

    For back-ups, sticking with the cloud. I know it is not doing a full back-up on my new laptop because it goes WAY too quick. I screwed that up from the start but really not a biggie, the cloud forces me to have back-ups every day I plug in overnight so more or less fail safe unless Apple has a server issue.

    For my wife's phone, enable iTunes match under my apple id. May do the same for my son or just set up his computer for sharing/match and he can drag files to his phone.

    I did notice something however, I know to make sure her iCloud uses her ID, however, when I go to messaging and look at the send/receive addresses, it shows the apple ID at the top. I would assume it would have to stay that way because she would be logged in under my ID to use match. I can log that in under another ID I see but then that would screw up her match, correct? So, I need to make sure that the "you can be reached by iMessage at" only uses her e-mails or phone number, same as the "start new conversations from"? I don't have her phone in front of me so I am not sure what it shows for her options for addresses. Maybe it will just show hers anyhow and I have no worries?

    One last question (like that's ever going to happen). If my son or wife purchases an app, and we only are backing up to the cloud, how can I get the app on my phone? I assume logging off my apple id in app store and logging in under theirs and downloading? I guess that can't happen though because if they are using match, they will be logged in under my ID anyhow? Convoluted question I suppose. As I type this, I am thinking that mr. app (my son) will not have match enabled on his phone because I don't want him buying stuff under my ID! I know how that works. So, then the question becomes, can I log off my phone, log into his ID and add the app to my phone? I suppose for updates I will need his password of course. Now, if I am speaking of some sort of frowned upon activity, please forgive.
    Last edited by Ringfinger; 12-12-2012 at 09:53 AM.
  13. #13  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    11,055 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

    Default Re: iTunes/iTunes Match Multiple Phones/Computers

    You can log into multiple iTunes accounts. If you set the app store app up in settings, you won't have to enter an ID for an app update - only purchasing new apps.

    Definitely separate iCloud accounts for everyone though, or you wind up getting each other's email and text messages.
  14. #14  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    5,576 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default iTunes/iTunes Match Multiple Phones/Computers

    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    You may need to burn that music to a cd to remove the drm and then copy it to your computer to add to your collection.
    If it was purchased recently it shouldn't have DRM on it. I think iTunes music purchased after sometime in '08 are DRM free.
  15. #15  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    5,576 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default iTunes/iTunes Match Multiple Phones/Computers

    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    You can log into multiple iTunes accounts. If you set the app store app up in settings, you won't have to enter an ID for an app update - only purchasing new apps.

    Definitely separate iCloud accounts for everyone though, or you wind up getting each other's email and text messages.
    In addition, in Settings the iCloud/Apple ID should be under Settings -> iCloud.

    To set the iTunes/app store I'd, you do that under Settings -> Store or Settings -> Music.

    As for switching IDs in the phone AppStore, that's allowed so no worries there. I believe that they do limit how often you can switch IDs.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    Ringfinger's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    601 Posts
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default Re: iTunes/iTunes Match Multiple Phones/Computers

    Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    If it was purchased recently it shouldn't have DRM on it. I think iTunes music purchased after sometime in '08 are DRM free.
    I'll take a look and see what is what. Likely it does not have DRM since I believe they would be recent purchases, but I will check. Thanks!
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    Ringfinger's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    601 Posts
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default Re: iTunes/iTunes Match Multiple Phones/Computers

    Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    In addition, in Settings the iCloud/Apple ID should be under Settings -> iCloud.

    To set the iTunes/app store I'd, you do that under Settings -> Store or Settings -> Music.

    As for switching IDs in the phone AppStore, that's allowed so no worries there. I believe that they do limit how often you can switch IDs.
    Uh oh, lost again.... ;-)

    Alli posted:

    You can log into multiple iTunes accounts. If you set the app store app up in settings, you won't have to enter an ID for an app update - only purchasing new apps.


    Okay, so when I go to the app right now on my iPhone, I see it is logged in under my ID. What do you mean by "you can log into multiple iTunes accounts?" I know I can sign myself out and sign in under a different ID, but if I did, I would assume I would not be able to use match on my phone. So, kind of confused by what you are saying.

    Alli Posted:


    Definitely separate iCloud accounts for everyone though, or you wind up getting each other's email and text messages.


    and Karen Posted:

    In addition, in Settings the iCloud/Apple ID should be under Settings -> iCloud.


    Yup, definitely separate iCloud accounts for each person. As far as the settings>iCloud, I see that on my phone and will verify that each phone is using their own Apple ID for the cloud.

    Karen Posted:

    As for switching IDs in the phone AppStore, that's allowed so no worries there. I believe that they do limit how often you can switch IDs.


    Okay, odds are I am not going to be switching ID's unless I want to download someone else's apps? Is that why I would do that?

    Which then goes back to my original question about downloading apps others have purchased under their ID, I suppose that is what you are referring to?


    Going back to my post prior, how do I handle this?

    I did notice something however, I know to make sure her iCloud uses her ID, however, when I go to messaging and look at the send/receive addresses, it shows the apple ID at the top. I would assume it would have to stay that way because she would be logged in under my ID to use match. I can log that in under another ID I see but then that would screw up her match, correct? So, I need to make sure that the "you can be reached by iMessage at" only uses her e-mails or phone number, same as the "start new conversations from"? I don't have her phone in front of me so I am not sure what it shows for her options for addresses. Maybe it will just show hers anyhow and I have no worries?


    One of my main concerns with that is she should not have the ability to receive or send texts from any of my phone number/e-mail addresses. That will only cause confusion in my book. And, I suppose if I removed those addresses from her phone, consequently it may remove from mine? I guess I have to see her phone to see what happens, but hoping someone has input on this concern.

    Again, thank you for bearing with me and my nth detail questions.
    Last edited by Ringfinger; 12-12-2012 at 02:32 PM.
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    Ringfinger's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    601 Posts
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default Re: iTunes/iTunes Match Multiple Phones/Computers

    Hello,

    I have been able to get some clarification on my questions. It seems that the account used for itunes/imatch/app store would be my ID. I would log in my wifes ID for messaging/imessage/icloud. They all can be different which is good, so my worries about the messaging seem unfounded according to what I have learned.

    So, with that resolved, I just have the app question as stated above. Phew...

    Specifically, these statements/questions:

    Alli posted:

    You can log into multiple iTunes accounts. If you set the app store app up in settings, you won't have to enter an ID for an app update - only purchasing new apps.

    Okay, so when I go to the app right now on my iPhone, I see it is logged in under my ID. What do you mean by "you can log into multiple iTunes accounts?" I know I can sign myself out and sign in under a different ID, but if I did, I would assume I would not be able to use match on my phone. So, kind of confused by what you are saying.


    Karen Posted:

    As for switching IDs in the phone AppStore, that's allowed so no worries there. I believe that they do limit how often you can switch IDs.

    Okay, odds are I am not going to be switching ID's unless I want to download someone else's apps? Is that why I would do that?

    Which then goes back to my original question about downloading apps others have purchased under their ID, I suppose that is what you are referring to?
  19. #19  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    5,576 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default iTunes/iTunes Match Multiple Phones/Computers

    I think this answers both questions…

    You can only log into one iTunes/AppStore account at a time. And the only reason I see to do this is if someone else has an app (or music or video) that you want. You could log in with their account go to the purchased tab in iTunes or the AppStore, find what you wanted, and download it. So Apple puts limits on how often you can do this, so that I don't just take all of my friends phones, log in as them and download all of their apps and then repeat immediately with the next friend.
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    Ringfinger's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    601 Posts
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default Re: iTunes/iTunes Match Multiple Phones/Computers

    Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    I think this answers both questions…

    You can only log into one iTunes/AppStore account at a time. And the only reason I see to do this is if someone else has an app (or music or video) that you want. You could log in with their account go to the purchased tab in iTunes or the AppStore, find what you wanted, and download it. So Apple puts limits on how often you can do this, so that I don't just take all of my friends phones, log in as them and download all of their apps and then repeat immediately with the next friend.
    Okay, yes, log into one at a time, makes sense. So, we are speaking about downloading others apps, got it, question answered. Thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. 2 iphones, 1 itunes account, different music,1 computer
    By |-KGB-|CaptHowdy in forum iPhone 4S
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-22-2012, 11:37 AM
  2. iTunes restore for jailbroken phone
    By erigsby in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2012, 07:07 PM
  3. Itunes cloud and two phones!
    By budgeuk in forum iCloud
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-13-2011, 11:05 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 09:38 PM
  5. iTunes problem on my wifes computer.
    By cjvitek in forum iTunes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2009, 03:05 PM

Posting Permissions