iTunes/iTunes Match Multiple Phones/Computers

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Some final questions in my continuing saga:

1. My main PC (laptop) has iTunes 11 on it. It is a fresh new laptop and a fresh install of iTunes. I have sharing turned on as well as iTunes match. This PC accesses the music files locally (stored on an NAS) and when I travel, I use the "cloud" to access my music (different library file to do so) which of course is on iTunes match. It is logged into my iTunes account which also has the iTunes match subscription. I back my iPhone 5 to it.

2. My wife has a laptop. I would like to install iTunes 11 on it, enable sharing, and have her access iTunes match. It will be a "dummy computer" that only access iTunes match and home sharing. My wife has her own iTunes account. To do this, will I still log it in under my iTunes ID and then enable iTunes match on it? Or, can I log in to iTunes under her name and does it make a difference? Is it best for me to back up her iPhone to my laptop as well since that is the "main" laptop?

3. My son has a laptop. Same questions and statements as #2 above. Where do I back-up his phone? He currently backs up his iPhone to the desktop in the basement. I will enable him to back up to the cloud, however if I have to do a local back-up, what computer should I use? He also has music stored locally on his phone and I am unsure if I am going to enable match on his phone, if not, how will he get music on his phone? I don't want his laptop to access the NAS with music on it so what should I do? Maybe I will need to allow him access to the cloud?

4. I have a desktop in the basement. It used to be the "main" computer. It had all of our back-ups and everything on it until I got my laptop. I assume I could set it up like #2 above?

5. I want to enable iTunes match in my wife's iPhone. I know how to do that, but I imagine I will have to log it into the iTunes/App store under my ID so that I can turn on iTunes match? Will that affect her back-ups at all like I was referring to above? I want to make sure if I plug it into my laptop to back-up, it wont merge our phones somehow.

Are there any questions that I missed or flaws in my approach?

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I'll get back to you. I had the kids on my own yesterday so I didn't have a chance. I'll try to reply tonight.

You are the best. As an aside, I have become aware that one can only back up their iPhone to one computer, so therin lies some difficulty. I think 100% reliance on iCloud may be my only hope, see below what I posted and learned of on the Apple boards:

MegsiPhone wrote:

This user tip may help too

Syncing to a "New" Computer or replacing a "crashed" Hard Drive https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3141

I must tell you, I am in the situation that MegsiPhone described and I am confused as to what to do. Here is what I have done thus far:

1. I installed iTunes on my new computer, I wen't ahead and set up a new library file locally, and pointed to my NAS for all the music and movies file in edit>advanced. From what I recall, when I did I can remember getting a whole bunch of messages about apps, new versions, overwriting. I don't recall, regadless I dismissed each on and did not override. Anyway, that's all done now.

2. I can tell you that I used to back up three iPhones and an iPod touch to my old PC. There is a mixture of 4 iTunes ID's with various app purchases, it seems a mess.

3. I did plug my phone in, it gave me the error message about syncing only to one computer. Then I did a back-up and a sync. I know it did not work right because it took a matter of seconds when I know it should take a lot longer. Anyway, as a safeguard I am using iCloud back-up for now before I do anything else.

So, what do I do now to make this all right? I would like to be able to sync mine and my wife's iPhone to the computer. Should I not bother and just keep my back-up in the cloud and are there disadvantages to this? For my son's iPhone, I can let him back-up to the old computer, I would assume that would remain good and I would not have any issues. Should I erase the back-up on my new computer, erase the appss or whatever and start from scratch? Kind of not sure how to handle, please help.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
2. My wife has a laptop. I would like to install iTunes 11 on it, enable sharing, and have her access iTunes match. It will be a "dummy computer" that only access iTunes match and home sharing. My wife has her own iTunes account. To do this, will I still log it in under my iTunes ID and then enable iTunes match on it? Or, can I log in to iTunes under her name and does it make a difference? Is it best for me to back up her iPhone to my laptop as well since that is the "main" laptop?

You will need to log into your iTunes account to enable iTunes Match. You can only backup an iPhone to a single computer.

3. My son has a laptop. Same questions and statements as #2 above. Where do I back-up his phone? He currently backs up his iPhone to the desktop in the basement. I will enable him to back up to the cloud, however if I have to do a local back-up, what computer should I use? He also has music stored locally on his phone and I am unsure if I am going to enable match on his phone, if not, how will he get music on his phone? I don't want his laptop to access the NAS with music on it so what should I do? Maybe I will need to allow him access to the cloud?

Same answers as above. He can only sync to a single computer - that solves a lot of your problems. You might want to consider consolidating everyone's music, putting it all on your computer to add to Match.

4. I have a desktop in the basement. It used to be the "main" computer. It had all of our back-ups and everything on it until I got my laptop. I assume I could set it up like #2 above?

There really isn't any setting up to do. If you have sharing on, you don't need Match.

5. I want to enable iTunes match in my wife's iPhone. I know how to do that, but I imagine I will have to log it into the iTunes/App store under my ID so that I can turn on iTunes match? Will that affect her back-ups at all like I was referring to above? I want to make sure if I plug it into my laptop to back-up, it wont merge our phones somehow.

Are there any questions that I missed or flaws in my approach?

Match doesn't have anything to do with backups. Match ONLY does music.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
As always, you all rock here. So, let me summarize:

For my wife, log onto my iTunes account and turn on match, check.

Set up my son the same way on his laptop, check.

Basement same as wife and son, check.

Now, what I meant was my son has songs that were synced from the old computer to his phone. If say I do not enable match on his iPhone, how will he get music onto it? Will he have to use my laptop and drag to his phone?

Also, my son and wife have purchased music in their iTunes install they have now. How can I get those songs to my computer/NAS before I enable match/sharing on both of them?

Now, you say match has nothing to do with music. What my question was is if I have match turned on my wife's iPhone and the iTunes ID she logs in under is mine, will that screw up her back-ups to the cloud? I would assume not as she can use her iTunes ID for cloud, iMessage and all that.

Lastly, I understand I can only back-up to one computer, but now I don't know what to do as I did initiate a back-up to my new laptop and I know it is not right. Should I just rely on the cloud and not screw up my iTunes on my new laptop any more? Not sure how to locally back-up now.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Now, what I meant was my son has songs that were synced from the old computer to his phone. If say I do not enable match on his iPhone, how will he get music onto it? Will he have to use my laptop and drag to his phone?

If you enable match on his phone, all the music currently on his phone will be removed. You can't have both.

Also, my son and wife have purchased music in their iTunes install they have now. How can I get those songs to my computer/NAS before I enable match/sharing on both of them?

You may need to burn that music to a cd to remove the drm and then copy it to your computer to add to your collection.

Now, you say match has nothing to do with music. What my question was is if I have match turned on my wife's iPhone and the iTunes ID she logs in under is mine, will that screw up her back-ups to the cloud? I would assume not as she can use her iTunes ID for cloud, iMessage and all that.

iTunes and iCloud ID's are two different things. Match is associated with your iTunes ID. Backup is done to iCloud.

Lastly, I understand I can only back-up to one computer, but now I don't know what to do as I did initiate a back-up to my new laptop and I know it is not right. Should I just rely on the cloud and not screw up my iTunes on my new laptop any more? Not sure how to locally back-up now.

Stick with iCloud.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
If you enable match on his phone, all the music currently on his phone will be removed. You can't have both.

You may need to burn that music to a cd to remove the drm and then copy it to your computer to add to your collection.

iTunes and iCloud ID's are two different things. Match is associated with your iTunes ID. Backup is done to iCloud.

Stick with iCloud.

I guess the bottom line with my son is IF I don't enable match for his phone then so long as I have iCloud or sharing enabled on his computer, he can drag the songs from there. Thanks again!

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all as always. You all are the best!

I think I get it? :D

By device:

Basement-Sharing and match on. Locally stored itl file (that really has nothing in it as it was just set up as a new library, did not add music to it so to say so an empty library) that points to NAS-Overkill I know. Regardless, I can see the iTunes match music fine. All is well with this. I won't rip, backup or anything from this. It is just a dummy set-up if you will to play music.

Wife's Laptop-I don't think she has any purchased music on it. If she does, I will get it off and into my account. I can do this by burning to CD's easiest as sharing between computers in iTunes 11 is spotty at best right now from my experience. Regardless, I will make sure she has a locally stored itl file, enable sharing and match. Nothing backed up to it, ripped, etc. Just another "dummy" set-up like the basement.

Sons laptop-same as wife's laptop.

For back-ups, sticking with the cloud. I know it is not doing a full back-up on my new laptop because it goes WAY too quick. I screwed that up from the start but really not a biggie, the cloud forces me to have back-ups every day I plug in overnight so more or less fail safe unless Apple has a server issue.

For my wife's phone, enable iTunes match under my apple id. May do the same for my son or just set up his computer for sharing/match and he can drag files to his phone.

I did notice something however, I know to make sure her iCloud uses her ID, however, when I go to messaging and look at the send/receive addresses, it shows the apple ID at the top. I would assume it would have to stay that way because she would be logged in under my ID to use match. I can log that in under another ID I see but then that would screw up her match, correct? So, I need to make sure that the "you can be reached by iMessage at" only uses her e-mails or phone number, same as the "start new conversations from"? I don't have her phone in front of me so I am not sure what it shows for her options for addresses. Maybe it will just show hers anyhow and I have no worries?

One last question (like that's ever going to happen). If my son or wife purchases an app, and we only are backing up to the cloud, how can I get the app on my phone? I assume logging off my apple id in app store and logging in under theirs and downloading? I guess that can't happen though because if they are using match, they will be logged in under my ID anyhow? Convoluted question I suppose. As I type this, I am thinking that mr. app (my son) will not have match enabled on his phone because I don't want him buying stuff under my ID! I know how that works. So, then the question becomes, can I log off my phone, log into his ID and add the app to my phone? I suppose for updates I will need his password of course. Now, if I am speaking of some sort of frowned upon activity, please forgive.

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You can log into multiple iTunes accounts. If you set the app store app up in settings, you won't have to enter an ID for an app update - only purchasing new apps.

Definitely separate iCloud accounts for everyone though, or you wind up getting each other's email and text messages.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
In addition, in Settings the iCloud/Apple ID should be under Settings -> iCloud.

To set the iTunes/app store I'd, you do that under Settings -> Store or Settings -> Music.

As for switching IDs in the phone AppStore, that's allowed so no worries there. I believe that they do limit how often you can switch IDs.

Uh oh, lost again.... ;-)

Alli posted:

You can log into multiple iTunes accounts. If you set the app store app up in settings, you won't have to enter an ID for an app update - only purchasing new apps.

Okay, so when I go to the app right now on my iPhone, I see it is logged in under my ID. What do you mean by "you can log into multiple iTunes accounts?" I know I can sign myself out and sign in under a different ID, but if I did, I would assume I would not be able to use match on my phone. So, kind of confused by what you are saying.

Alli Posted:

Definitely separate iCloud accounts for everyone though, or you wind up getting each other's email and text messages.

and Karen Posted:

In addition, in Settings the iCloud/Apple ID should be under Settings -> iCloud.

Yup, definitely separate iCloud accounts for each person. As far as the settings>iCloud, I see that on my phone and will verify that each phone is using their own Apple ID for the cloud.

Karen Posted:

As for switching IDs in the phone AppStore, that's allowed so no worries there. I believe that they do limit how often you can switch IDs.

Okay, odds are I am not going to be switching ID's unless I want to download someone else's apps? Is that why I would do that?

Which then goes back to my original question about downloading apps others have purchased under their ID, I suppose that is what you are referring to?

Going back to my post prior, how do I handle this?

I did notice something however, I know to make sure her iCloud uses her ID, however, when I go to messaging and look at the send/receive addresses, it shows the apple ID at the top. I would assume it would have to stay that way because she would be logged in under my ID to use match. I can log that in under another ID I see but then that would screw up her match, correct? So, I need to make sure that the "you can be reached by iMessage at" only uses her e-mails or phone number, same as the "start new conversations from"? I don't have her phone in front of me so I am not sure what it shows for her options for addresses. Maybe it will just show hers anyhow and I have no worries?

One of my main concerns with that is she should not have the ability to receive or send texts from any of my phone number/e-mail addresses. That will only cause confusion in my book. And, I suppose if I removed those addresses from her phone, consequently it may remove from mine? I guess I have to see her phone to see what happens, but hoping someone has input on this concern.

Again, thank you for bearing with me and my nth detail questions.

Last edited:

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I have been able to get some clarification on my questions. It seems that the account used for itunes/imatch/app store would be my ID. I would log in my wifes ID for messaging/imessage/icloud. They all can be different which is good, so my worries about the messaging seem unfounded according to what I have learned.

So, with that resolved, I just have the app question as stated above. Phew...

Specifically, these statements/questions:

Alli posted:

Okay, so when I go to the app right now on my iPhone, I see it is logged in under my ID. What do you mean by "you can log into multiple iTunes accounts?" I know I can sign myself out and sign in under a different ID, but if I did, I would assume I would not be able to use match on my phone. So, kind of confused by what you are saying.

Karen Posted:

Okay, odds are I am not going to be switching ID's unless I want to download someone else's apps? Is that why I would do that?

Which then goes back to my original question about downloading apps others have purchased under their ID, I suppose that is what you are referring to?

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I think this answers both questions…

You can only log into one iTunes/AppStore account at a time. And the only reason I see to do this is if someone else has an app (or music or video) that you want. You could log in with their account go to the purchased tab in iTunes or the AppStore, find what you wanted, and download it. So Apple puts limits on how often you can do this, so that I don't just take all of my friends phones, log in as them and download all of their apps and then repeat immediately with the next friend.

Okay, yes, log into one at a time, makes sense. So, we are speaking about downloading others apps, got it, question answered. Thanks!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234