Problems with updating and syncing apps in iTunes 11

Osterlaus

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,
iTunes 11 looks very nice, but I've got a couple of problems with this version I've not encountered in iTunes 10. First problem: if I update an app on my iPhone 4S, it is not synced back to iTunes - this has been the case before, such that I can either update on my laptop OR on my iPhone and this state is, well, synced on the next synchronization. Second problem: I'm not able to update my apps in iTunes as before. On the one hand, release notes are missing, and on the other hand the formerly introduced possibility of directly updating an app from the detail view is gone :( See this screenshot for a small explanation ("geladen" means loaded, whereas there has been an option to update before; and on my iPhone I see release notes ("neue Funktionen") for that update):
itunes11.png
So, is there anything I misconfigured, or is this simply broken in the new iTunes?

Greetings from Germany
Osterlaus

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what you are asking. I have to update apps on both my iOS devices and in iTunes. The exception to this has always been (and continues to be) that if I update the apps in iTunes first and then sync, the updated app shows up on my phone. But to be honest. I don’t sync my devices that often any more... with calendars and contacts synched via iCloud, and backing up to iCloud, I don’t see the need.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Fausty82. I tested out the new iTunes 11 app on my MacBook and thus far, it works great. I quickly and effortlessly backed up my iPhone via iTunes and the option to sync my apps was readily available (bottom left corner), however, the only thing I sync with iTunes is my business ringtones. With iCloud sync and the availability of my purchases apps in the App Store, I don't find it necessary anymore.

Osterlaus

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Okay, let's split it up into two problems once more. Please don't argue against syncing my iPhone with iTunes, as this is only a workaround, but no solution to my problem.

1) Syncing apps
With iTunes 10, I could either update my apps on the iPhone or in iTunes and they were synced across both parties. With iTunes 11, an app I updated on the iPhone is not synced back to iTunes, e.g. I need to update it a second time on my laptop to also hold the updated version there. But...

2) Updating apps in iTunes
...this is not possible as easy as in the former version: There is no "Update" button on the detail view page of an app, and release notes are also missing in some cases. I can still view them on my iPhone, so they seem to be there somewhere...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Okay, let's split it up into two problems once more. Please don't argue against syncing my iPhone with iTunes, as this is only a workaround, but no solution to my problem.

1) Syncing apps
With iTunes 10, I could either update my apps on the iPhone or in iTunes and they were synced across both parties. With iTunes 11, an app I updated on the iPhone is not synced back to iTunes, e.g. I need to update it a second time on my laptop to also hold the updated version there. But...

...this is not possible as easy as in the former version: There is no "Update" button on the detail view page of an app, and release notes are also missing in some cases. I can still view them on my iPhone, so they seem to be there somewhere...

I never argued against synching... I merely said that I don’t do it and explained why.

Now, for your questions:

Problem 1. It’s always been that way for me. If I update the apps in iTunes (go to Apps, Check for Updates, Update All) and then sync my device, the updated apps are moved to my device. If I update the device, I still have to update the apps in iTunes. I’ve never seen it behave differently.

Problem 2. To update your apps, go to the APPs section and at the bottom there’s a link to update your apps... then from the subsequent page, double click on an app and you can view release notes, etc... and on the individual app page, there are 3 tabs: Details Reviews and Related. Again, that’s how I’ve always managed my apps updates.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Problem1 - I've seen the same, unless I updated the device, then synced to iTunes... the new app syncs from the phone to iTunes.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

1) Syncing apps
First of all, I have a MacBook and I have been trying to replicate your dilemma and I cannot. When I connect to iTunes 11, in the upper right corner, I see "iPhone". When I click on that, a summary of my device is displayed. When I select "Apps" and then select "sync" in the bottom right corner, my device syncs. For the heck of it, I moved an app to a different screen via my iPhone and then clicked on "sync" and the change was replicated via iTunes on my MacBook. I don't know what else to tell you, my friend.

I agree in regard to the missing Update button. The closest I found was in the Store menu -- Check for Available Downloads.

Last edited:

lpiphone

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
My iPhone 4S won't sync anymore with iTunes 11 once connected to my iMac. All my other iDevices sync perfectly. All my devices are running iOS 6.0.1. Why, O Why is only my iPhone 4S refusing to sync (iTunes responds with an error message).

Help!
Tks!

lpiphone

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Man, you're quick! Oops! My bad. The error message was: "The iPhone "iPhone 4S" could not be synced because the sync session failed to start". I restarted my iMac, and now, it's syncing perfectly. Thanks for firing up my last standing neurones!

iMore forums Rock!

Best Regards

Beachbumcok

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,
iTunes 11 looks very nice, but I've got a couple of problems with this version I've not encountered in iTunes 10. First problem: if I update an app on my iPhone 4S, it is not synced back to iTunes - this has been the case before, such that I can either update on my laptop OR on my iPhone and this state is, well, synced on the next synchronization. Second problem: I'm not able to update my apps in iTunes as before. On the one hand, release notes are missing, and on the other hand the formerly introduced possibility of directly updating an app from the detail view is gone :( See this screenshot for a small explanation ("geladen" means loaded, whereas there has been an option to update before; and on my iPhone I see release notes ("neue Funktionen") for that update):
View attachment 23752
So, is there anything I misconfigured, or is this simply broken in the new iTunes?

Greetings from Germany
Osterlaus

I had the same problem you are experiencing.... and after a few Google searches, here is the answer.

1) Start ITunes (version 11 is most recent and what you said you have - and I have).

2) Plug you Iphone in so it will find it.

3) When looking at the main ITunes main page... "You can show the sidebar (which was the old way to view ITunes) by pressing Option-Command-S on a Mac or Control-S on Windows. Alternatively, you can open the View option from the menu bar and select Show sidebar.

4) I have a PC and I think you do to... so I just used the "Control-S" command... and now you will recognize the old style of ITunes that you are used to, but will still have version 11.

Now, you will be able to see your installed Apps, click on updates... and sync as you did before!!! I have no idea why Apple made it so confusing and less user friendly, but they did.

Good luck and Enjoy (I am as of 6 Dec 12 after finding this solution on the internet),

Jeff

thebrain2u

Sep 18, 2008
Visit site
I'm actually in the same boat as you, but this seems to have happened just randomly to me today, even though I've been using iTunes 11 since public release.

Situation before:
-Download an app update in desktop iTunes 11, sync iPhone, the app update gets pushed to phone. App downloaded only once.
Or
-Download an app update in App Store on iPhone, sync iPhone, the app update gets pushed to desktop iTunes 11. Again, app downloaded only once.

Situation now:
-Download an app update in desktop iTunes 11, sync iPhone, the app update gets pushed to phone. App downloaded only once, same old.
However
-Download an app update in App Store on iPhone, sync iPhone, the app update does not get pushed to desktop iTunes 11. App update must be downloaded again in desktop iTunes 11 with Check for App Updates, requiring app to be downloaded twice.

It doesn't make much sense to make you download the app in two cases, just download once and transfer. It's been this way for me ever since iPhone 3G till literally today. I hope it either works itself out or a fix is found.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I am missing something here. If you update an app on your phone, regardless of what it is, Apple knows what you have installed. In the case of a failure, you can just go to the app store and rfe-donload all your apps. Why would you need a copy on your computer or worry if it is the newest updated one?

derek_knitter

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey there thebrain:

So I was sitting in front of my Mac with the same problem - apps downloaded on iPhone would not auto-transfer back into iTunes when running a sync. This always happened with previous 10.x versions of iTunes, but not iTunes 11. But I did find a workaround on an Apple Discussion forum:

With your iPhone connected in iTunes (either wired or wireless, don't think it matters), go to File > Devices...> Transfer Purchases from (your iPhone). That started a separate little sync that did pull the apps over, and much better than re-downloading them again.

Not very seamless or intuitive, but at least it works!

rudolph_007

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
THANK YOU!!! I have looked everywhere for the solution to this, and as you can see from previous posts, this very simply problem for some reason is so hard to explain to people. Why Apple took this feature out of the auto sync is beyond me!

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I have an older version of iTunes and I have always had to transfer purchases from my phone of I updated them via the device. That has not changed. Possibly a setting has changed in iTunes that automatically transfers purchases... Try exploring the settings more

I said piracy was bad.
Never have I said that I'm not a pirate.

jugarte77

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Same here, when an app is updated first in my iPhone, the update isnt pushed to iTunes 11 in my PC as it always has been done. The Transfer Purchases tip worked (thank you derek_knitter) but it isnt automatic as before.

Win 7 Ultimate 64x
iTunes 11
iPhone 4s

amour2000

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Same thing is happening to me too. I was able to sync back my apps from i phone 4 to itunes before the last update of itunes of last week. now no more

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro