Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Global Posts
    7,032 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Default First Impressions of iTunes 11

It's fast. Granted I'm on a 15" Retina MacBook Pro but it seems noticeably faster loading my library and switching from one kind of media to another.

The left sidebar is gone (well, you can re-enable it in the View menu). Not quite sure how I feel about that yet. There is a dropdown menu which basically has everything that the sidebar does. Having the entire view taken up by album covers especially with the Retina screen is beautiful. I'm going to leave it without the sidebar for a few days to try it out.

The store also seems faster. It looks much like the iTunes and App Store look on the iPad. I haven't tried buying anything yet.

Cover flow seems to be MIA if you use that view.

I have not had a chance to try the new mini player yet.

Global Posts
    11,891 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: First Impressions of iTunes 11

Dittos..

And I figured out how to make the iPad version of the Remote app shuffle a video playlist via AppleTV... so I'm pleased. The rest is going to be getting used things as they are now.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

I think I like it... still getting used to it.

I rarely/never used cover flow, so I don’t miss that.

Someone reported that there is no volume control on the mini-player. I confirmed that the volume controls are missing... but with my rMBP, there are multiple keyboard/mouse settings to alter volume so, while it’s missing and might be "nice to have", it’s not a show-stopper for me.

I am not a fan of how it lists queued podcasts. It only show new (unplayed) podcasts... but if removed the "unplayed" flag as soon as you start playing one - so if you start playing one, then stop, it’s somewhat confusing/misleading about what you have. I’m sure there are settings to tweak this ... and once I get used to the interface, I’m sure it will be a nit.

Your media (music, movies, tv shows, podcasts) is selected from a drop down on the left. The iTunes store link is on the right. The first time I went to the iTunes store, it was not intuitive to see how to get back to your media... the iTunes Store link changes to "Library" once you’re in the iTunes store... but it was confusing at first.

Overall, I have to agree that it does seem faster, and so far, I’ve not experienced any major issues. I’ve upgraded all three Macs (my rMBP, my wife's iMac and the Mac Mini that I have to stream movies to my Apple TVs). Definitely a keeper, and worth the wait.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version
    5.1.1 / 6

Loving the update so far. Installed it on MacBook Pro and on my Windows 8 and XP PC's and all seem to be running smooth.

Noticeable improvements on PC version which is a good sign. Looks like the delayed released date paid off so far. No problems with my Jailbroken iPad also. In fact I had been having problems transferring apps from my iPad to PC before syncing. iTunes would only transfer about 5 apps then stop. Since the update this problem is gone.
    Check out my band DreadCircus - http://www.jadestarr.com.au
    iPhone 5 64GB / iPad mini 16GB / iPad 2 64GB / Apple TV / MacBook Pro
    Team Jailbreak!!!
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

I just encountered one problem. I have an AppleTV (2 gen) that was JB and I had installed Nito and XBMC... but the new iTunes refused to restore it. I had to take the AppleTV to my old Windows XP machine with iTunes 10.6 to get the AppleTV restored. My rMBP w iTunes 11 would recognize the AppleTV, but as soon as I clicked RESTORE, it gave me an error saying that the device could not be found.

I’m sure its a matter of time for these kind of one-offs to be identified and fixed.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,378 Global Posts

First Impression: I'm going back to 10.7, glad i set a restore point and downloaded 10.7, 11 feels quicker.

Second Impression: I'm sticking with 11. I tinkered with it. i'm on an older AMD system with maybe 4GBS (more likely 2GBs) of ram but not positive. But not blazing. It is quicker and more responsive in list mode when clicking from one song to the next.Before there was noticable delay between the click on a song and when the computer would actually respond

I use exclusively list mode. So once i figured how to get the playlist back on the left, the menu bar back on the top, and the entire sidebar back to the left could tolerate 11. I use itunes to transfer music to my iphone and ipods and to listen to music. I also have lots of music seperated by different genres so i prefer not to have all my jazz, mixed up with my hip-hop, mixed up with my rock etc. So i gotta have column menus at the top too. So once it set up i liked it.

i poked around the other views an honestly saw some weird stuff. The following isn't that important to me since i don't use the album view modes. This stuff seemed to be an issue:
    everytime i scroll albums covers have to redraw. likely do to my weaker computer.
    in non list mode albums with multiple artists show up many different times. I don't get that if it's album mode i'd think each album would show up once. Seems it's really artist sorting with album covers as a thumbnail. for example there's a different album cover for every artist in a single soundtrack or mixtape. seems weird to me. My brain isn't wired like that. It would be nice to have the option to change that. I do like the whole color changing according to album cover color. But i'll never see it as that mode is simply too convoluted given that size of my collection, and that that view has no way of sorting by genre. There's another weird thing that i noticed. if the first song on an album has missing art but all the other songs files have artwork often the cover art will not show at all in any view except up at the top left of the scrobbler. I noticed this because some bug removed the cover art from the first track of a ton of my albums upon being added to itunes. Don't know how but it happened about a month ago. Regardless, for some reason if that first song lacks cover art it doesn't see it in the other files. Then there are other times when i noticed it simply doesn't see the cover art in album view but if you click "get info" it clearly shows the file has cover art.

General disappointment: I continued to be disappointed that iTunes simply can't monitor changes to files changes in folders and update automatically. This is basic. Winamp could do this more then 10 years ago. I move files often, i add music often. i realize stuff is not in the correct category so it may get moved from the jazz folder on my hard drive to maybe and R&B folder on my hard drive. All my music is on an external drive, when i add a single to a folder of singles i shouldn't have to open itunes, then go drag and drop the file into itunes, it should update automatically in the background. Another situation, just happened. I realized a song was attributed to the wrong artist, so after changing the file name i had to go drag and drop the newly named file back into itunes, then click on the old bad song link till the exclamation mark came up, "no i don't want to locate it." Then right click and delete. I should be able to change the file name, Click a "rescan" button and walk away while itunes rescans the folders and cleans up dead links in my library automatically. And it's a decade overdue for that feature. Clearly apple does not want me to be able to do this and refuses to add it and that bugs me. That or maybe they are clueless. That bugs me too.

Honestly the only thing better about 11, for my usage, is it's faster. But its enough so far. But they still insist on not adding more advance features to the player and it needs it more then some poorly layed out view modes that are more eyecandy then substance.
    "What does America make? Hmmmm...Does diabetes count as a product?"
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Global Posts
    7,032 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

If you want something automatically added to iTunes, why don't you just drop it in the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder?

And-not being critical just curious-why do you sort your music into folders by genre rather than just tagging them with the correct genre and then using the music by genre view in iTunes?
    Fausty82 likes this.
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by ridiculocity View Post

Noticeable improvements on PC version which is a good sign. Looks like the delayed released date paid off so far. No problems with my Jailbroken iPad also. In fact I had been having problems transferring apps from my iPad to PC before syncing. iTunes would only transfer about 5 apps then stop. Since the update this problem is gone.
    I have to agree with the first part of this. iTunes 11 in Windows 7 is an incremental improvement in performance. Granted more can be done to optimize it, it is, in my opinion running better than the previous version.
    Prior to this release, I was deciding to go iTunes free if this version didn't improve my overall experience with iTunes. However, I have to say I'm happy enough with iTunes 11 that I will continue to have and use it on my Windows PC for the time being.
    I am also interested to hear Rene's thoughts on the release... Especially the Windows Version (if he has the opportunity to do so).
    END
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    253 Global Posts

So far I like it.

Little issue I had was when I went to Authorize my computer it said (I think, went by a lil fast) this computer and one other is authorized for content.
    Why that is odd, is that I did a clean install of iTunes. I completely deleted 10.7 even from registry (yes this is a PC, I build them).
    However, when I go into my account it says "One computer is authorized to play content purchased with this id".

My wife’s laptop is installing her iTunes at the moment so I will see what it says when hers finishes.

As far as speediness, I must have been one of the few PC people who never noticed much of a speed problem, iTunes always loaded up within seconds for me. Still, I would say this one is even zippier, so yay to that!
    I like the new album view as well.

Still poking around so still have not checked everything out.

**EDIT**
    Okie dokie, her computer just finished, and when I went to authorize hers just said, congratulations successfuly authorized, you have used 1 of 5.
    I KNOW mine never said anything like that (weird). Yet, I go to the accounts of both iTunes and each one says "One computer is authorized to play content purchased with this Apple ID."

Perhaps, it does different things on different installs. I also noticed after I installed her iTunes and was going through the custom setup, on the Parental Tab mine had ALL the checkboxes un checked, while hers had the "Show content ratings in library" checked.

Software can be quirky I suppose. More concerned about the authorization anomaly than anything else. Other than that, liking the new change.
    Last edited by END; 11-30-2012 at 03:23 AM.

Global Posts
    3,621 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It's much faster on my MacBook Pro, I like the new layout as well.
    jsntrenkler
    Mobile Gear: Retina Macbook Pro 13 / iPad Air / iPhone 5S / Pebble Smartwatch
    Community Rules & Guidelines
    iPhone Intermediate

I like it, it's fast and it looks nice, but there's a glitch with iCloud albums. Even if you delete them and accept the message that they will be hidden from your iTunes purchases, they show up again as soon as you exit/start up iTunes again. Doesn't matter really as I just disabled iTunes albums in preferences, but maybe worth noting.

Also, haven't worked out how to get the iCloud streaming thing on all devices. If I start a song on my iTunes it isn't automatically picked up on my iPhone/iPad, even with the box ticked in preferences. Anyone got the same problem/a solution?
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    800 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Heck, I haven;t even downloaded it yet!

Global Posts
    11,891 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    What are you waiting for? Christmas??
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Horrific
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    800 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    What are you waiting for? Christmas??
    Just time as you know I have a new computer and a lot of questions ha ha!
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

I LOVE IT!
    This is really what I was (hoping) and expecting from Apple!
    Sleak, Simple, Intuitive yet with a lot of nice features.
    Quick learning curve!
    Jean
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,218 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post

neither have i, and no i'm not waiting for Christmas either Keith LOL

I'm just one of those creatures of habit and i navigate well around the current iTunes now (10.7) that 11 looks like such a drastic change! I just need some time to warm up to it.....i will eventually upgrade it does look amazing tho
    iHeartMyPINKalicious5C~iPadAir~MBPretina
    *drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*
    kch50428 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Wow I can't be the only one that thinks iTunes 11 is a massive train wreck.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

I haven't downloaded the new iTunes update,but I am going to have to upgrade in order to use my ipad on iTunes?
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by anygivensunday View Post
    Horrific

Care to elaborate just a bit? Itís obvious that you are not happy with it... but this is very little to go on. How about a list of issues/complaints?

Global Posts
    11,891 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Some people are predisposed to despise change. You're one of those apparently.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Some people are predisposed to despise change. You're one of those apparently.
    I welcome change love change. But not change that doesn't make sense. I don't despise change and that's an unfair assumption just because I think the software is a piece of . Well the updated version any way but if u all must know why. I will come back when I get off work and get into the fine details. That u all require to any one who opposes the mass opinion.

Global Posts
    11,891 Global Posts
    iOS Version

OK.. you don't hate change. Bully for you. To simply state "Horrific" and term it a "massive train wreck" without specifics as to what irks you so is begging questions, and absent any other clues, might lead one to conclude, as I did, you might be one who dislikes change... It will be interesting to see why you reached the "horrific train wreck" conclusion of yours.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

I like it but it's gonna be hard to get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    If I helped you - Please hit that little +REP button
    It looks like an old-school scale next to the report button

>iPhone 6 - Space Grey - 128GB - Verizon Wireless - Current<

iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

I welcome change love change. But not change that doesn't make sense. I don't despise change and that's an unfair assumption just because I think the software is a piece of . Well the updated version any way but if u all must know why. I will come back when I get off work and get into the fine details. That u all require to any one who opposes the mass opinion.
    I’m just curious about why you think it’s "horrific" and a "massive train wreck". You are certainly entitled to your opinion... but we get a lot of "drive bys" who don’t post anything to support their opinions. If you don’t like it, fine. I just asked "why not?"... please provide your reasoning...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast