Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    iPhone Beginner

Default First Impressions of iTunes 11

I like it. Change is good!
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #27  

Global Posts
    7,010 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by WAQAS4 View Post
    I haven't downloaded the new iTunes update,but I am going to have to upgrade in order to use my ipad on iTunes?
    Probably not.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,378 Global Posts

Default Re: First Impressions of iTunes 11

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    If you want something automatically added to iTunes, why don't you just drop it in the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder?
    I've never seen such a folder but even so if such a folder exists, That doesn't solve the problem because it requires me to move my files out of my music folder. I don't want them stored in and "automatically add to itunes folder." I want my files in my music folder. plus i can manually add them, the whole point is not to find a different way to manually add them to itunes but rather to have itunes update itself in the background automatically without me having to do. All my music is on an external drive in a music folder. so i get a new single i'll add it to my music folder into, for example, F:\Music\Hip-Hop\Singles. But what your suggesting is then i move it from there into some other folder. Then i have duplicate files wasting hard drive space. That's organizationally horrible. I think the problem is the way Macs run. They make it hard for you to keep your files. They don't want me to keep my files in my own folder which seems ridiculous. Itunes if you let it will completely screw up your files and tries to rename them making it impossible to know what a song is from the file name or what album it's in. And if you need to email a song it's good luck finding it. If your hard drive get's corrupted as mine once did and you have to recover everything there's no telling what the music files are if you're lucky enough to recover them. Who would name files "48ldelcr?" That's some weird apple our users don't touch files thing. They kinda, dumb the user experience down and make it hard to store and back up your files. Same thing in iphoto that i've seen on my mother's computer where once you add a jpeg it's really hard to find the original file to send to someone or edit in photoshop. The point is itunes should simply monitor my music folder for any changes within the folder. That's what almost every other music jukebox software does.

Now i don't know about this folder you speak of. maybe it's a mac thing. i'm on windows but it doesn't exist on my computer and for the above reasons it's still not a solution because it would require me to move the mp3 file out of it's proper place my music folder. And the other thing if i manually have to place it in the folder it's not a solution. I manually have to add it to itunes right now.

And-not being critical just curious-why do you sort your music into folders by genre rather than just tagging them with the correct genre and then using the music by genre view in iTunes?
    There is a flaw in your assumption though, lol. My files are in fact meticulously tagged correctly and in folders by genre. They are in folders, because with 128 GBs, and 24,000 songs they can't be in one utterly unorganized folder. Every file is, not just tagged correctly, but the file named accurately by artist, song number then song title. I tagged most stuff with "Tag & Rename" software and through the online tagging database in Tag and Rename. A problem is occasionally you find out that a song is incorrectly tagged in the database. Like i had a single with a rapper and an r&b singer in the chorus but i found out that song was incorrectly attributed to the R&B singer when it should have been given to the rapper. That is the Artists field was wrong. And that meant the file name was also wrong. So i had to rename the file. Itunes can't see that It gives you an exclamation and forces me to look for the file. Why? Itunes should just look be monitoring the folder and update. Another problem I get is if i add one single to my music folder, i have to manually add it to itunes because itunes doesn't look at the music folder. Or if i delete a file from my hard drive (like if i realize it's a duplicate file) then there's a dead exclamation link is still in itunes. Or for example, I have a bunch of John Mayer albums, I only started listening to him for his blues guitar trio so i had his albums listed as blues. But upon listening to one of his older album some are more pop, the later ones are rock (loosely used) or folk or something but they aren't blues. Thus they are incorrectly tagged. So i retagged them and moved them to the appropriate pop or rock folder. Winamp, mediamonkey would simply recognize automatically and update my library. iTunes goes "duh" and adds exclamation points forcing me to manually delete entries, then navigate back the file structure in windows explorer and manually add the newly moved album back into itunes by dragging and dropping.

Another point is thinking about the term you (& I) used, "tagged correctly" and another point is for lots of my music there is no correct tag. That is there is part of my music that are rap freestyles, underground unreleased stuff, promos, singles, I used to be a dj and i have maybe 13 mixtape albums of my own. Rap mixtapes are often full of one off in studio freestyle tracks. Some of this stuff isn't released commercially or in an traditional album structure, there's no proper album tag. For freestyles there isn't one artist. And you may find later it's not the artist rapping you think it is. So I go back and reedit the tag when you find out new information. Thankfully that's rare now as it's all pretty much sorted and tagged well but it took literally years to get to this point. Another reason why i've no interesting in Apple renaming all my files and ruining years of work.

I remember before i used to have to use some program called "itunes library updater" to try to force itunes to rescan folders and remove dead links. iTunes Library Updater Ľ Screenshots i haven't used winamp for like a decade so i can't speak to it now but it had "watch folders." You told it where the library is and you could customize how often it scanned or if it scanned automatically. there was another called itunes folder watch. don't know if they still work. This is from the winamp faq page describing what i mean by watching folders.

Q: always put all my music and videos in the same place, is there any way to configure Winamp to periodically check for any new media and automatically add it into my Library?

A:Absolutely. Winamp supports a feature called "Watch Folders". Using this feature, you can specify folders you wish Winamp to scan for new media.FAQ - Winamp Help
    This is what it's been missing for years and year. So instead of forcing me to as you have above move my files into one specific automatically add folder. I specify which folders are watched and it's periodically rescanned for changes either manually, at a specified time or at a specified duration, say every hour. Regardless, i don't want it dumbed down and i want it smartened up. What happened to "it just works?" If it can monitor changes in podcast position in icloud between two different ios devices it should be able to monitor the contents of one local folder and update the itunes library automatically.

Everyone does there things there way and i think that's fine. I just think they could make it alot simpler for users, that would be in line with their ethos of it just works, it would improve the user experience and do nothing to alter the behavior of people using it the current way and it would be a much better product.
    "What does America make? Hmmmm...Does diabetes count as a product?"
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    233 Global Posts

First impression: "This is awesome, it's actually usable on windows now"
    Second impression a few minutes later: "Why in the world does iCloud integration not work how you would think it would, how hard would it be to sync podcasts and podcasts app via iCloud"
    Overall happy, just leaves me scratching my head a little bit, much like most things Apple seems to be doing lately.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #30  

Global Posts
    7,010 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

@9thWonder -

Just trying to help...

Anyway the "automatically add to iTunes" is one level under your iTunes media folder. You won't end up with duplicates because it moves them to their proper place. And by "proper" place I mean the folder you designated as your media location in the preferences.

As for Macs renaming files, I would agree that iPhoto does that but you can easily export from iPhoto or email directly from the program, so the underlying file location is not as important. We may disagree on this though.

But iTunes has never given incomprehensible names to any of my music. In fact, if you keep the "keep my media organized" option on, then it creates a Music sub folder and in it organizes everything by artist and album (but not genre). And names the individual files by track number and title. And if you change some if the metadata within iTunes it will move the file to the correct location based on the metadata changes. Likewise it will keep TV Shows organized by show, and season.

But I get that you don't like iTunes. No problem by me. I was trying to clear up a few misconceptions like it renaming files or keeping everything in one unorganized folder.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,378 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anygivensunday View Post
    Wow I can't be the only one that thinks iTunes 11 is a massive train wreck.
    I do not think it is a train wreck by any means. But Apple did try hide all kinds of very popular features like the sidebar/playlists. I truly get the impression that the people at Apple don't use itunes as power users do, the people with large collections etc. Mostly because itunes can be cumbersome to use in many of the artists or album views the more covers and artists you have. Then the streamlined lists are very useful

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Some people are predisposed to despise change. You're one of those apparently.
    that incorrectly assumes all change is positive and not to be despised.

I don't know what anygivensunday is getting at since he hasn't said so but i think some people's usage requires certain functionality. If they lose it or it's altered they won't consider that positive change. And i'll give an example. the iphone app "Gate Guru" just got a new version release and absolutely ruined the app. People used the old version to get airport gate maps, info on where to eat in a terminal etc. And that was the big selling point. During a layover you had a great map of the airport right on your phone. i thinkit even had reviews of restarants and everything. When they updated it they removed that and turned the app into an itinerary upload app. And also the only way to see an airport map was now to import an acual airport itenerary. Users freaked out. The update was slaughtered. Almost universal reviews of 1 star from all but brand new users. Why? because change removed the main reason they used the app and made doing lots of things more difficult.

The change was so poorly received that the Gate Guru CEO wrote a letter to users basically apologizing and promising to fix the changes. i cut and paste some excerpts from the letter where he basically admits the changes were a mistake
    GateGuru - Revolutionizing the Travel Experience • GateGuru 3.0 - App Store Update Coming Soon

To the GateGuru community,

The past 48 hours have been humbling to say the least. We have received close to a thousand emails, tweets, App Store reviews, Facebook comments and other forms of communication. While we expected a vocal welcome to GateGuru 3.0, we thought it would be overwhelmingly positive. It was not. While some users ... loved the new interface and experience, many other users were clearly and immediately upset at the removal of the ability to search by airport, without entering flight information.

While the negative reaction to GateGuru 3.0 was an incredible disappointment to us, we recognize the need to make things right. ... we are working on an update to GateGuru 3.0 that will include the ability to quickly and easily search by airport, without entering any flight information. We hope to have it submitted and approved by Apple in the coming few weeks.

At the end of the day, removing the ability for a user to search by airport was too extreme...

Thanks for your time and continued support,

Dan

GateGuru Co-Founder and CEO

credit to this guy. That's a real leader. That said, I use that only to illustrate the point that just cause you change something doesn't mean you've improved it. As for itunes 11? I'll leave that to the individual to decide for him or herself. For me it's a little of both, incremental improvements and some change's i'm pretty meh about.
    "What does America make? Hmmmm...Does diabetes count as a product?"
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,214 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    OK.. you don't hate change. Bully for you. To simply state "Horrific" and term it a "massive train wreck" without specifics as to what irks you so is begging questions, and absent any other clues, might lead one to conclude, as I did, you might be one who dislikes change... It will be interesting to see why you reached the "horrific train wreck" conclusion of yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Iím just curious about why you think itís "horrific" and a "massive train wreck". You are certainly entitled to your opinion... but we get a lot of "drive bys" who donít post anything to support their opinions. If you donít like it, fine. I just asked "why not?"... please provide your reasoning...
    I'm curious as to why 'anygivensunday' is claiming "horrific" and "train wreck" as well.
    iHeartMyPINKalicious5C~iPadAir~MBPretina
    *drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*

Global Posts
    4,305 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

I don't use it iTunes on my PC much. Mostly just to do a sync of my devices when need be.
    Or do a restore. But, I was already not liking the UI. That was until I came to this thread and
    saw the first post that said I could change back to the menu list on the left with ease. That
    made Heisenberg happy
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 6 Plus 128GB
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I don't use it iTunes on my PC much. Mostly just to do a sync of my devices when need be.
    Or do a restore. But, I was already not liking the UI. That was until I came to this thread and
    saw the first post that said I could change back to the menu list on the left with ease. That
    made Heisenberg happy
    And everyone wants/needs/likes a Happy Heisenberg!

Glad to see you’ve adapted.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Thanked by:
    Heisenberg (12-01-2012)
    END
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    253 Global Posts

Someone reported that there is no volume control on the mini-player. I confirmed that the volume controls are missing... but with my rMBP, there are multiple keyboard/mouse settings to alter volume so, while it’s missing and might be "nice to have", it’s not a show-stopper for me.
    There are volume controls in the mini player.
    Just click on the Air Play icon (Rectangle with Triangle in it)

iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by END View Post
    There are volume controls in the mini player.
    Just click on the Air Play icon (Rectangle with Triangle in it)

Sweet. Thanks for the info
    iMore Newbie

Iove the redesign of the library's, not totally in love with the store piece yet. Just gonna give it some time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    I'm curious as to why 'anygivensunday' is claiming "horrific" and "train wreck" as well.
    It’s been a full day since he posted that... perhaps we will never know.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,214 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Itís been a full day since he posted that... perhaps we will never know.
    Yep. I think it was just a couple of drive by posts....

Oh well. On another note, for now I won't be upgrading to iTunes 11 anytime soon. There are 5 of us that use it and I was over ruled to upgrade.... FOR NOW. Lol.

I'll have to work on that (convincing everyone) LOL.

Pink-a-licious 4S doin' the TapAtalk !!
    *drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #40  

Global Posts
    7,010 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Yep. I think it was just a couple of drive by posts....

Oh well. On another note, for now I won't be upgrading to iTunes 11 anytime soon. There are 5 of us that use it and I was over ruled to upgrade.... FOR NOW. Lol.

I'll have to work on that (convincing everyone) LOL.

The speed increases alone should make it worth it. And you can get back most of the UI changes by going to the View menu and enabling the left sidebar and the status bar. You can't get back Cover Flow or iTunes DJ though if you used those.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,214 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The speed increases alone should make it worth it. And you can get back most of the UI changes by going to the View menu and enabling the left sidebar and the status bar. You can't get back Cover Flow or iTunes DJ though if you used those.
    thx Karen!! I did know about the "view" options because I saw it posted somewhere (here?) and I think it was by you ? I can't remember now lol.

We didn't use cover flow or the dj thing anyway so that won't effect is at all.

I'm hoping to convince everyone soon but in our family most of us have the "if it isn't broke don't fix it" kind of mentally and "why change it if it's working just fine" thing also.

Ehh. It is what it is I guess. I'll just have to wait it out for now

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

It looks smoother and cleaner having one issue though on my Windows Pc I can not add movies to iTunes that are mp4. It look like it will link over then movie never loads. Anyone else having issue?
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    796 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Installed it, need to check it out but so far so good,
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,214 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I finally installed iTunes first thing this morning Everything went perfectly. I REALLY like the new layout indeed. First thing I did when i fired iTunes up is put back my left side bar and the control panel bar (files, edit etc.). Did a transfer of apps & back up. It does seem a bit quicker (on win7) the overall new look of the summary screen for your device is nicely laid out. i especially like when you hoover over each item in whats on your phone and shows a little bubble of the item and amount (photos 1gb, etc.)

I still have to do more exploring, but so far i like it

the only thing i'm not too keen on is when you sync or back up, the progress bar color has changed. i have color issues lol, so not sure what color its suppose to be, but looks like it blends in with the overall "apple" box that shows the progress. the previous versh did have a darker color which i was able to determine. Oh well - i guess me old eyes will adjust to it LOL

Just one (silly?) question though - what the heck is "reset warnings" i never knew what that function did all these years i've used itunes {{embarrased face}}
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

I finally installed iTunes first thing this morning Everything went perfectly. I REALLY like the new layout indeed. First thing I did when i fired iTunes up is put back my left side bar and the control panel bar (files, edit etc.). Did a transfer of apps & back up. It does seem a bit quicker (on win7) the overall new look of the summary screen for your device is nicely laid out. i especially like when you hoover over each item in whats on your phone and shows a little bubble of the item and amount (photos 1gb, etc.)

I still have to do more exploring, but so far i like it

the only thing i'm not too keen on is when you sync or back up, the progress bar color has changed. i have color issues lol, so not sure what color its suppose to be, but looks like it blends in with the overall "apple" box that shows the progress. the previous versh did have a darker color which i was able to determine. Oh well - i guess me old eyes will adjust to it LOL

Just one (silly?) question though - what the heck is "reset warnings" i never knew what that function did all these years i've used itunes {{embarrased face}}
    Welcome into the pool, Pink!

The Apple page was quite helpful with the "reset warnings" thing... quoting directly from their page:

iTunes may display warnings for a variety of reasons when you are using the iTunes Store. The warning messages often provide a checkbox that, if selected, will prevent iTunes from showing that particular message again.
    Um, yeah, thanks for that, Apple
    Thanked by:
    ThePinkChameleon (12-06-2012)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,214 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Welcome into the pool, Pink!

The Apple page was quite helpful with the "reset warnings" thing... quoting directly from their page:

Um, yeah, thanks for that, Apple

Thanks Fausty!!

and ummmm. YEAH. i know right?! i read that too, and then scratched my head going "waahhht?" Ok, so its just for those little pop up thingies that show up once in a while, for like "upgrade to new itunes 11" and you can check the box to say dont ask me again. OK. well see, now i feel silly for asking because it was something that simple LOL i thought there may have been more to it (there goes the too technical side of me again)
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Thanks Fausty!!

and ummmm. YEAH. i know right?! i read that too, and then scratched my head going "waahhht?" Ok, so its just for those little pop up thingies that show up once in a while, for like "upgrade to new itunes 11" and you can check the box to say dont ask me again. OK. well see, now i feel silly for asking because it was something that simple LOL i thought there may have been more to it (there goes the too technical side of me again)
    I guess sometimes we try to make things harder/more complex. But that "explanation" goes in the same category with "this page left intentionally blank" (except for the writing on this page that just lied to you - it’s not really blank. In fact, it contains useful information - that there’s no useful information here - except this message ... wow, that was a rabbit trail!)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,214 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I guess sometimes we try to make things harder/more complex. But that "explanation" goes in the same category with "this page left intentionally blank" (except for the writing on this page that just lied to you - it’s not really blank. In fact, it contains useful information - that there’s no useful information here - except this message ... wow, that was a rabbit trail!)
    Lmfao!! Indeed a rabbits trail

Global Posts
    22,258 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I like the new look & feel of iTunes 11. It's more streamlined and efficient, in my opinion, and backing up my devices seem faster. I've also yet to experience any crashes / freeze-ups. It gets a thumbs up from me...
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    6,980 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.2 :)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    I like the new look & feel of iTunes 11. It's more streamlined and efficient, in my opinion, and backing up my devices seem faster. I've also yet to experience any crashes / freeze-ups. It gets a thumbs up from me...
    Simply a thumbs up from me as well!
    "Sometimes its not the song that makes you emotional. It's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it."
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast