Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    800 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default iTunes iPhone Backups and iCloud

I'm a little confused on that one. I use home sharing, my wife has her own apple ID and I have my own. I back up my iPhone to the same PC that my wife does. They never seem to mix up, and it is not dependent on what account the iTunes is signed into on the PC, correct? It is a factor of name of the phone (what you assigned when you set it up), correct? That is what the back-up name becomes or am I confusing something?

And regarding iCloud, can someone finally clear this up for me? I never can get a straight answer. I don't use it but many say I should. My basic question is I need to back my phone up. Contacts, settings, whatever messages are on it, etc. As I understand, it won't back up your apps or music, correct? If I just wanted to the the back-up I describe, what would I click in settings>icloud to do this? Is it just settings>icloud>storage and back-up and then turn that on or do I have to go to settings>icloud>and then turn on each individual item (mail, contacts, calendars, etc)? What is the difference between the two? It seems easier to just activate the icloud backup as opposed to each setting on the prior screen. What is the difference?

Global Posts
    7,049 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

First paragraph correct. The name shown in the Preferences -> Devices tab should be the name of the phone.

You can use iCloud backup without using iCloud for other services such as Contacts, Mail, Calendar, etc. yes you go to Settings -> iCloud -> Storage & Backup and turn it on. It will still backup contacts and such that are stored on your phone. It will backup your camera roll. It backs up settings such as your email provider setup but without the passwords for security reasons. It will not backup apps but will backup data stored in an app assuming the developer did it correctly. Not sure about music.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    800 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: iTunes iPhone Backups and iCloud

Okay, I don't have a PC with iTunes on it handy, Preferences>devices, is that an iTunes setting? On my phone it is settings>general>about.

Okay, iCloud backup is a separate entity. The iCloud backup would basically restore my phone to it's last good backup should I need it? If I were to enable this, no more syncing to my computer, correct? The iCloud backup will store my settings, my camera roll, my e-mail accounts, my ringtones, my contacts (important), my messages, my calendar, my bookmarks, my reminders, my notes, my passbook, basically everything except music (which I use iTunes match anyhow for) and apps (which my history is in the App store anyhow where I could re-download)? Basically, it would restore my phone to exactly where it is right now except for the apps? It will look exactly the same it is now, but if so what about the apps? That part confuses me. If it does not store them, what would my phone look like after the restore?

So, the iCloud settings are to sync contacts, mail, calendars, reminders, bookmarks, notes, passbook, etc across ios devices? Since I only have this one, I don't need to enable any of those settings? The iCloud backup will basically store all of what I just mentioned anyhow, right? I use google calendar anyhow so all that would restore to my phones calendar app anyhow should I have an issue?

Global Posts
    7,049 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    Okay, I don't have a PC with iTunes on it handy, Preferences>devices, is that an iTunes setting? On my phone it is settings>general>about.
    Your device name in the phone is settings ->general ->about. It shows up in iTunes as well. What I meant by Preferences->Devices is that is where you can go to see local backups--listed by device name in case you have multiple.

Okay, iCloud backup is a separate entity. The iCloud backup would basically restore my phone to it's last good backup should I need it? If I were to enable this, no more syncing to my computer, correct? The iCloud backup will store my settings, my camera roll, my e-mail accounts, my ringtones, my contacts (important), my messages, my calendar, my bookmarks, my reminders, my notes, my passbook, basically everything except music (which I use iTunes match anyhow for) and apps (which my history is in the App store anyhow where I could re-download)? Basically, it would restore my phone to exactly where it is right now except for the apps? It will look exactly the same it is now, but if so what about the apps? That part confuses me. If it does not store them, what would my phone look like after the restore?
    Someone else just posted this about what iCloud backups up: iCloud back up

Also it backup up "which" apps you have on the phone just not the apps themselves. So after a restore it goes through this list and redownloads them all.
    So, the iCloud settings are to sync contacts, mail, calendars, reminders, bookmarks, notes, passbook, etc across ios devices? Since I only have this one, I don't need to enable any of those settings? The iCloud backup will basically store all of what I just mentioned anyhow, right? I use google calendar anyhow so all that would restore to my phones calendar app anyhow should I have an issue?
    Correct. The other iCloud settings are for sync purposes and you can use backup without using them.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    800 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: iTunes iPhone Backups and iCloud

I think I get it now. Thanks for the help! I'm going to enable it, seems like a sound decision.