iTunes Issue

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times, but it's got me foxed.

I lost my Windows installation so had to format and -re-install Windows. I also d/l and installed iTunes although I could have restored it and still can. While I can rebuild most of my 'libraries' from my hard disk (such as photos, movies), the Apps have me beaten. The only app shown in the new iTunes is an app I purchased after the Windows final crash. When I try to synch, iTunes seems to be warning me that if I do, I'll lose all my apps except for that single one.

How can I tell iTunes to use the old library from the previous installation of Windows? I mean, where is this database located? I have two full backups so restoring shouldn't be an issue if I only knew what to restore.

thanks.

Kaitokomauri

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It it is only the apps which bugs you, the easiest would be to transfer purchases as described here:

iTunes Store: Transferring purchases from your iOS device or iPod to a computer

If you have indeed backed up your entire iTunes library (along with the essential *.itl and *.xml files) you can try load it up from the location where you backed up by starting iTunes while having pressed and held the SHIFT key on your keyboard. More about backing up and restoring iTunes library from backup in a good amount of detail here:

Transferring your iTunes Library | iLounge Article

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
When you open iTunes hold shift it will prompt for the database .. It's normally under documents your profile name music iTunes

localhost8080

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
you should be able to see the apps under 'purchased'

go to itunes > itunes store
on the right sidebar there is an entry for 'purchased'
once you get there there is a tab for 'apps' :)

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hey, guys,

Thanks a lot all. I still don't understand why iTunes doesn't have a simple Backup / Restore but I feel ok that this mosaic of suggestions will work. I had no idea that Shift when iTunes starts leads to a library selection and BTW, neither did the Apple store crew.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey, guys,

Thanks a lot all. I still don't understand why iTunes doesn't have a simple Backup / Restore but I feel ok that this mosaic of suggestions will work. I had no idea that Shift when iTunes starts leads to a library selection and BTW, neither did the Apple store crew.

On a Mac it's holding the command key
On windows it's Shift

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I was stuck looking for the .itl in users/slide/local/...

I had no idea that in the Windows world, these files are located in ../music.. Music? So now I'm restoring the XML files from users/slide/local...and the itl files from ../music. Part of the problem is that Windows search is so bad it couldn't find Bill Gates in his own bathtub. I have no idea how any company can have so little pride as to put out such a defective product as that Search.

I have no idea why a simple backup / restore routine isn't in the cards here. Since many of these files are hidden and all are obscure, I'm sure it'd annoy or beyond the scope of many users where backup/ restore is a routine all can do.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234