Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

Default iTunes Match and iOS 6

I have a question. If I download songs from iTunes Match onto my device, but then I want them removed and sent back to iTunes Match only, how do I do that? I'm trying to do the "Swipe-Delete" function, but it's not working. Any ideas?

(I'm on the iOS 6 GM)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,539 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

Idk, but I still think it sucks. I have songs with explicit lyrics and with music match enabled, it streams a clean version. Screw that crap.
    blah blah blah witty signature blah blah blah
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

What you have to do with iOS 6 is turn off iTunes Match then you can swipe to delete.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darynchristo View Post
    What you have to do with iOS 6 is turn off iTunes Match then you can swipe to delete.
    Do you then go back into settings and turn match back on? will it then delete the song from the library or only the device?

It worked much better in ios5 because you could just swipe to delete and it would still be in the cloud.
    More importantly, now, if you have selected show all songs there iis no way to tell if it is in the cloud or downloaded since there is no longer a cloud icon next to songs.

Is there anyway to change this so you can differentiate which songs are downloaded and which ones are merely in the cloud.

Why did they mess with it? It is less functional than before.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ekneeiphone View Post
    Do you then go back into settings and turn match back on? will it then delete the song from the library or only the device?

It worked much better in ios5 because you could just swipe to delete and it would still be in the cloud.
    More importantly, now, if you have selected show all songs there iis no way to tell if it is in the cloud or downloaded since there is no longer a cloud icon next to songs.

Is there anyway to change this so you can differentiate which songs are downloaded and which ones are merely in the cloud.

Why did they mess with it? It is less functional than before.
    Yes. It will only delete from device. Your right you can't tell. No there is no way to change it other than turning off show all music. Idk why they messed with it. It sucks now.
    iPhone Beginner

Default Re: iTunes Match and iOS 6

I suspect they messed with it to avoid confusion for the average user. Most people won't know or care where the song 'physically' is and only us power users will want to carry out a local delete.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    490 Global Posts

I use iTunes Match. When I want to delete from my device I go to settings. General. Usage. Find music and tap it. You can clear the device library there but your cloud songs will be safe. I use iTunes Match all week then sometime on the weekend just clear the device library for a fresh start.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    2,979 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I hate the way Match works now. I hope they change it.

Anyways, a sure fire way to delete ALL local music (either DL or temp cache) is to go into settings, general, usage, show all apps (if nec) , music and delete all from there....
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

You can delete all your music at once through settings.
    Settings>General>Usage
    Then select Music>Edit and then delete the music data.
    The music will be deleted from your phone, but it will still be available in the cloud through iTunes Match.

I use to download SOME song from my cloud library, then just use those songs on my device (turn match off). Now I have no way of know what songs are on the device, you can't download individual songs.

Let's hope they go back to the old design.
    Please remember to like or thank posts that are useful, entertaining, or beneficial.

Twitter: @skeetobite | Google+: ChrisVitek | Game Center: DRSKEETO

Current Devices: iPad Air 128GB Wifi | iPhone 5S 64GB AT&T
    PDAs: Visor Deluxe | Visor Prism | Zire 72
    Phones: Treo 680 | iPhone 3G | iPhone 3GS | iPhone4 | iPhone 4S | iPhone 5
    Tablets: iPad 1 64GB AT&T | iPad 2 32GB Wifi | iPad 3 64GB Verizon LTE

iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    288 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x

Quote Originally Posted by cjvitek View Post
    I use to download SOME song from my cloud library, then just use those songs on my device (turn match off). Now I have no way of know what songs are on the device, you can't download individual songs.
    It is possible to see which songs have been downloaded to your device: Settings>Music>scroll down to "Show All Music and turn "Off".
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,017 Global Posts

Discovered this change last night. Now I have to download a whole album opposed to being able to choose one song from an album.
    BlackBerry - 9000, 9700, 9780, 9900, PlayBook
    Android - Galaxy S II Skyrocket
    iOS - 5s + iPad mini
    MBP
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    288 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x

Default iTunes Match and iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by psiclne View Post
    Discovered this change last night. Now I have to download a whole album opposed to being able to choose one song from an album.
    You can download individual songs if you create a new playlist and add songs to it. It's also easy to delete those songs from your playlists, or delete the entire playlist. I agree it's not as easy as it was in iOS 5, but I'm getting used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    15" MacBook Pro, Late 2011 | 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 | 8 GB RAM | OSX 10.9.x
    iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 7.x
    AirPort Extreme 802.11ac (A1521)
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version
    Up to date

I'm hoping that this change will be so poorly received and criticized that Apple will revert back to how it was, which worked very well and made sense. The iOS 6 version is an unfortunate mistake that I care much more about than the maps situation...