Apple ID help...

derickson328

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I don't mean to be repetitive. Myself and my wife both have iPhones, we each have our own AppleID's and separate iCloud accounts. I have bought a lot of apps, music, tv shows, and movies; my wife has a few free apps and nothing else. I would like to have us share a (family) Apple ID to share music/movies/apps/iTunes match etc. but keep our iCloud accounts exactly as is. I know that I could simply make a new AppleID to share, but then I imagine that I would lose all the apps and other purchased items. Is it possible to transfer the stuff associated to my AppleID to another shared ID, and do the same for my wife?

For example: if my AppleID is xxx@gmail.com and my wife is yyy@gmail.com; then transfer all associated content for both previous ID's to a new shared ID, zzz@gmail.com, and make that our new shared account.

If that is possible, how do I go about that?

Thanks for any insight, this stuff confuses me greatly.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I don't mean to be repetitive. Myself and my wife both have iPhones, we each have our own AppleID's and separate iCloud accounts. I have bought a lot of apps, music, tv shows, and movies; my wife has a few free apps and nothing else. I would like to have us share a (family) Apple ID to share music/movies/apps/iTunes match etc. but keep our iCloud accounts exactly as is. I know that I could simply make a new AppleID to share, but then I imagine that I would lose all the apps and other purchased items. Is it possible to transfer the stuff associated to my AppleID to another shared ID, and do the same for my wife?

For example: if my AppleID is xxx@gmail.com and my wife is yyy@gmail.com; then transfer all associated content for both previous ID's to a new shared ID, zzz@gmail.com, and make that our new shared account.

If that is possible, how do I go about that?

Thanks for any insight, this stuff confuses me greatly.

It is NOT possible to merge or "migrate" purchased (including "free") apps, music, etc. at this point, though many have asked Apple for that ability. However, it IS possible to change the email address associated with that iTunes account. Since your wife only has free items in her iTunes account, I'd suggest getting a new email address and changing your iTunes account to use that email address. Re-"purchase" your wife's free stuff under that account, and Bob's your uncle.

You can continue using your separate iCloud accounts, etc, with no negative impact.

Reactions: derickson328

derickson328

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It is NOT possible to merge or "migrate" purchased (including "free") apps, music, etc. at this point, though many have asked Apple for that ability. However, it IS possible to change the email address associated with that iTunes account. Since your wife only has free items in her iTunes account, I'd suggest getting a new email address and changing your iTunes account to use that email address. Re-"purchase" your wife's free stuff under that account, and Bob's your uncle.

You can continue using your separate iCloud accounts, etc, with no negative impact.

Thanks for the help, changing the email address sounds like it would work. I'll try that. Do I just change the email at apple's website or on the computer iTunes program?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the help, changing the email address sounds like it would work. I'll try that. Do I just change the email at apple's website or on the computer iTunes program?

In iTunes... go to Store / View My Account... you'll be prompted for your iTunes account password...

Once you're in, in the top section (Apple ID Summary) you should see the email address associated with the Apple ID... click the EDIT link to the right of the email address and change it there. Then scroll to the bottom of the page and click the DONE button... that's all there is to it.

Reactions: derickson328

derickson328

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
In iTunes... go to Store / View My Account... you'll be prompted for your iTunes account password...

Once you're in, in the top section (Apple ID Summary) you should see the email address associated with the Apple ID... click the EDIT link to the right of the email address and change it there. Then scroll to the bottom of the page and click the DONE button... that's all there is to it.

That seems TOO easy haha. Thanks for all the help!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2