Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

33 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Default video problems

im playing a video podcast and the video keeps freezing then catching up. the sound plays just fine. im on a windows laptop running win 7 64bit with 4 gigs of ram

That doesn't mean the problem is on your end. The podcast could have been poorly made or problems with streaming, to name a couple. Netflix get like that on occasion as well as certain YouTube and other videos.
    iMore Expert

877 Posts
    Global Posts
    881 Global Posts

Try opening the podcast in another video player - (in iTunes) right click on the episode and choose "Show in Windows Explorer" from there open with another player (Media Player Classic is a favorite of mine). If you experience the same stuttering, it's the podcast's fault. If the stuttering clears, QuickTime is too taxing for your processor (it needs time to literally "catch up").

Another possible culprit may be that you're playing the podcast from an external drive and the disk's read speed is slower than the video playback speed.

19 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

I had an issue with video transferring (from PC to iTunes via drag/drop) - the issue is not the same but still concerns video handling in iTunes.

I fixed the video problem by reinstalling QuickTime on my PC. It might be too much but it is worth trying to reinstall iTunes and all its components (which included QuickTime). Here is a guide provided by Apple on doing this:

Removing and reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows Vista or Windows 7