Can i use my itunes on my laptop to update friends phone w/o sync issues??

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
my friends ex stole his laptop power cable. he is still stuck on OS 4.3 i think. would i be able to hook his phone up to my laptop and NOT have it sync but be able to upgrade his OS to 5.1 without losing his data? he has it all backed up to his laptop which he cant use. the upgrade process would restore it correctly right? he wont lose anything in the upgrade will he?

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
No. You'll want to transfer your music to iTunes on the PC otherwise your friend will loose the stuff on the iPhone. The iPhone can only be tied to one device, and cannot sync to more than one. You can transfer purchases from the iPhone to your computer... Note this method will NOT transfer any music etc he didn't get using his account from the Apple Store. To do that you will need other methods.

First he'll need to authorize your computer with his iTunes account, select Store - Authorize this computer.

Then plug in his iPhone, when it appears in iTunes, Select File - Transfer Purchases. iTunes will move all his purchased music and apps from his iPhone to your computer.

I would then make sure it's all there and ready for the update by backing it up again (right-click iPhone in iTunes and select backup).

Now you can download and update like normal (there's a button). All his apps and settings should transfer over and remain intact.

Thing is he's just going to have this problem next time. Why not just use his laptop and go buy a new power cable.

Best of luck. :cool:

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Why doesn't he just get another power cable? Does he plan on never using the laptop again?

i didnt cover his future purchasing intentions yet, as i dont care....even though it would make sense. i assume he will. for for the time being, he asked if he could use my netbook just to update it. before i say sure, i want to make sure it wont end up screwing me or his phone over since his current backups are on his laptop. and i dont want to have to sync it or back it up to my laptop to avoid issues either. so if someone could answer my question, i would appreciate it.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
i didnt cover his future purchasing intentions yet, as i dont care....even though it would make sense. i assume he will. for for the time being, he asked if he could use my netbook just to update it. before i say sure, i want to make sure it wont end up screwing me or his phone over since his current backups are on his laptop. and i dont want to have to sync it or back it up to my laptop to avoid issues either. so if someone could answer my question, i would appreciate it.

Sherlock did

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711