Help with itunes library sharing (as I patiently wait for the UPS truck)

jstonein

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I posted this on the iPad 3 forum but I think it fits better on here.

Although I really love my iphone 3Gs, I absolutely despise itunes. I have lost my entire phone content more than once trying to sync my phone. My kids also have fought with itunes on their ipods as well and have lost a lot of purchased music due to itunes wiping everything out. It got to the point that we were careful to sync our various devices on separate computers to avoid this problem. However we do not have enough computers to keep 3 ipods, an iphone and now soon an ipad separated. We've tried setting up individual user libraries with the ipods and still have problems. Lately I cannot get itunes to sync my iphone at all when my phone is connected to the computer. It just hangs and I have to ctrl-alt-delete to force itunes to close. I keep thinking the "next" itunes update will fix things but no such luck. My kids have stopped connecting their ipods and so never update them. As for my iphone, I no longer try to sync it on the computer but do it by wi-fi with my itunes open and the phone plugged into a power outlet. That is the only way it will work.

Now that my iPad is about to arrive on my doorstep any minute, I would love to know if there is actually a way to handle the itunes issue. I have already set up a separate library and know how to hold the shift button to get to each library. I have a lot of iphone apps I would like to copy/share with my iPad especially those I paid for so that I do not have to purchase them again. I'm assuming the only way to do this is to hook up my iphone to access the apps but every time I do that it tries to sync the phone and locks up itunes. It's driving me crazy. For all the technology that Apple has why is this so difficult?

Can anyone help?