Computer died how do I save iTunes?

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
My mother in-laws computer(bother in-law uses it also) stopped working, its not able to get online now. So im looking for the best way to sync their phones up and upgrade them to ios5. Im open to all options I just dont want them to have to lose all their data like saves and apps. What I have done is copy the whole itunes file onto a external drive off the busted compter and copied the backup files as well. I have an old laptop that I put the files on and im trying to get itune to look at those file to sync. But im wondering if i can get the itunes upgrade onto the busted computer and upgrade from there. It may not work that way since itunes have to get the hand shale from apple to upgrade so what di you guys think?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Unfortunately if you are going to sync with a new computer it will wipe the iPhone clean in order to do so. So game saves will indeed be cleared. So basically you need sync with the new computer and it will say the iPhone was synced on another computer and ask to erase all data. Then you will have to sync to a fresh iPhone. The apps themselves do stay linked to the iTunes account that the person was using.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
My computer died a few months ago and I had to sync to my kids computer in order to use iTunes. Syncing with their computer was easier than I thought and I didn't lose any of my apps, pictures or music in the process....Simply authorize the new computer with your iTunes account and you should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
My computer died a few months ago and I had to sync to my kids computer in order to use iTunes. Syncing with their computer was easier than I thought and I didn't lose any of my apps, pictures or music in the process....Simply authorize the new computer with your iTunes account and you should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

so when you synced it to the other computer you authorized it then it didnt wipe you phone clean?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
If u authorize it it will transfer info from phone to computer and u will be fine

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
so when you synced it to the other computer you authorized it then it didnt wipe you phone clean?

It has been a few months since I did it, but I believe I authorized my kids computer first before syncing with my iPhone. Also, I seem to recall having to sync a second time and that put all of my apps, and music back on. I'll post a link to the tutorial that I used and found helpful when I find it.

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Similar question: If I want to switch to a new Macbook, how can I import my iTunes library? I have an external hard drive, but I am wondering if I will lose a lot of the details of the tracks (i.e., my ratings, album info etc) by doing that. I assume that I can log into iTunes on the new Macbook with my Apple ID and the material I purchased through iTunes will be available. However, what would happen to the songs I imported from CDs etc?

BuckyBadg

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I've had a similar problem

Similar question: If I want to switch to a new Macbook, how can I import my iTunes library? I have an external hard drive, but I am wondering if I will lose a lot of the details of the tracks (i.e., my ratings, album info etc) by doing that. I assume that I can log into iTunes on the new Macbook with my Apple ID and the material I purchased through iTunes will be available. However, what would happen to the songs I imported from CDs etc?

Wife and I have two iPhone4's with about 1500 songs. They include some iTunes purchases but were mainly songs imported into my PC from multiple sources including my own cd's, before we got the iPhones.

Recently I got an iMAC computer to replace the PC. I backed up the songs from the PC to an external source. I then imported them to the new iTunes in my iMAC. The songs that weren't purchased thru iTunes were imported with the free download, Senuti.com. Now.....when I tried to sync the iPhones to the new iTunes in the iMAC, it synced all the songs only when I went to the music page on iTunes with wife's iPhone 4 plugged in. I first made sure that it was programed NOT to automatically sync when the iPhone was plugged in. Anyway, on the music page, I checked ALL the artists in my iTunes music, then synced them. As I say, all the songs synced between my iPhone and new iTunes (on the new computer).

BUT.....the playlists only partially synced. Even though all the songs were there, only a fraction of songs (maybe 1/10th) ended up in the iPhone's corresponding playlists. I'm not sure why and when I called Apple Help for advice, they tried a couple of suggestions with me, but ultimately had no answer(s). Still I'm, for the most part, satisfied that all my songs are both on the iPhone and the new computer's iTunes.

Thoughts? suggestions?

Last edited:

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
This should be simple but apple hides all the file with all the "it just works" it is not easy to move from one computer to another

BuckyBadg

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE to my previous post: With help from Apple support, I did a phone restore on each of our iPhone 4's. It was a pain in the a$$ but it WORKED. Now, all the playlist songs are in both of our iPhones form the new Mac's iTunes. It now syncs just fine :D.

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
So, if I want to migrate all my songs in my iTunes library (evens songs imported from CDs that were not purchased through iTunes) to a new Mac, should I use an external hard drive? Will purchasing iTunes Match help? Ie, if I have iTunes Match, can I log in to iTunes Match on iTunes on the new Mac and have it import my entire library? Thanks

BuckyBadg

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
So, if I want to migrate all my songs in my iTunes library (evens songs imported from CDs that were not purchased through iTunes) to a new Mac, should I use an external hard drive? Will purchasing iTunes Match help? Ie, if I have iTunes Match, can I log in to iTunes Match on iTunes on the new Mac and have it import my entire library? Thanks

My posts #9 and #11 tell what worked for me. I put all my iTunes music files on an external flash drive having big enough capacity to hold everything. And, make sure you've backed-up things such as your contacts, notes, etc. on your iPhone before you do a restore.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the iTunes Match.

It is/was surprising to me that it couldn't be done in a more seamless fashion.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234