Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

68 Posts
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts

Default How does iTunesMatch decided which songs to download?

Hopefully someone can help answer this question. I am trying to understand how when you have iTunesMatch turned on does it decide which songs to download to your iPhone? My goal is finding a way to ensure the moat likely songs we would want listen too would be downloaded on to our iPhones. In the days before iTunesMatch I developed a system to sync based on the rating of the songs and then syncing the highest rated based on space available.
    iMore Genius

10,934 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts

You choose manually and download what you want either by song or by playlist.
    iPhone Intermediate

285 Posts
    Global Posts
    288 Global Posts

Here's a link to a macworld article where they explain pretty much everything you need to know better and faster than what I could've typed out! I didn't think I would like the service initially, but after deciding to go ahead with it, I'm very pleased to be able to match all my music by importing everything I have on my external hard drive and countless CD's, once imported and matched to itunes, I can then delete them off my computer, ipod or iphone,( to save room if need be) and then access them later from the iTunes cloud via a download to whichever device I am running at the time.

And to answer your specific question, your phone will have all the music you sync on it via the iTunes sync, however if it is not on your phone, but is stored in your cloud it will show on your phone with a little cloud and arrow pointing down so you can click that and download and listen. Then that song will be on your device unless you remove it.

Anyways here's the link:

iTunes Match: What you need to know | Macworld

Hope that helps!