Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alli
  • 1 Post By pdgill
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

465 Posts
    Global Posts
    567 Global Posts

Default How to Downgrade iTunes Library.itl

how do i get rid of the 'The file “iTunes Library.itl” cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes. Would you like to download iTunes now?' error while still keeping my music and apps?
    iMore Genius

10,934 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts

Download iTunes. It won't touch your music or apps. Remember, they are all separate files. iTunes only organizes them.
    DannyMichel likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts

Default Getting the old "iTunes Library.itl" back

If you're getting this error from trying to downgrade, here is the fix.

First, trash the iTunes you don't want. Then install the iTunes you do want (generally the download from Apple). I think you've done this step already so on to the next.

iTunes generally makes a backup of your "iTunes Library.itl" file before it you upgrade iTunes. So navigate to ~/Music/iTunes. You'll see the "iTunes Library.itl" file there. Change its name to "iTunes Library.itl.old" to differentiate from the one you are going to put there in a second. Also, it keeps the copy in case something goes wrong.

Now go into the folder "Previous iTunes Libraries" and you should see the last itl file before the upgrade. After making a copy (just in case) change its name to "iTunes Library.itl" and drag it into the "iTunes" folder directly. Open the downgraded iTunes and it should read the file just fine.
    DannyMichel likes this.