Can't uninstall iTunes in Lion?

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So I have Lion and I was trying to downgrade my iTunes by uninstalling the 10.5 beta so I could install 10.4 again, and I got "You cannot delete iTunes because it is required by Mac OS X." Is it just me, or is this new? I thought you could delete iTunes...

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You don't need to delete anyway. When you update to Lion it will force you to upgrade to 10.4 (which for you is a downgrade).

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You don't need to delete anyway. When you update to Lion it will force you to upgrade to 10.4 (which for you is a downgrade).

Yeah, and as soon as I plugged in my iPhone I got an error message saying iTunes couldn't sync with the iPhone because it was from a newer version of iTunes. I had to go back to 10.5 to get anything done :( it just seems weird that you can't delete it haha.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Yeah there needs to be an updated article on how to uninstall iTunes in Lion. Sometimes people get corruption with the firewall/iTunes where it asks to accept incoming connections each time you open it when the firewall is enabled.

Under previous versions of OS X, uninstalling iTunes (with a few other procedures) fixed the issue. Now that we can't uninstall it........

MacUser123

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
In searching Google a bit, I found a solution. I was having the exact same problem! Some places said to download an app called AppZapper, but there's another (free) way!

This place and this place show that if you open iTunes' info window and change the permissions to read and write for everyone, you can delete iTunes!!

I included the second link because it has pictures in case you find that easier, but the trade off is that it's in Spanish...

hellomiggy

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have used several Uninstallers to delete iTunes. I have at least 3? AppCleaner, AppZapper, and Clean My Mac. They all deleted iTunes 10.5 for me. AppCleaner is free, the others you ave to buy. Maybe that will help?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah there needs to be an updated article on how to uninstall iTunes in Lion. Sometimes people get corruption with the firewall/iTunes where it asks to accept incoming connections each time you open it when the firewall is enabled.

Under previous versions of OS X, uninstalling iTunes (with a few other procedures) fixed the issue. Now that we can't uninstall it........

I've that that firewall/itunes corruption since about beta 5... bummer that we can't uninstall/reinstall... but it is what it is... and is really only an issue after rebooting (which happens about once every 2-3 weeks). It's more of an annoyance than a problem. #meh

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2