Can I download 4.3.3 from somewhere other than Itunes?

Itsfoxy

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Do you have to download current softward from Itunes. I always have issues with Itunes on my work computer (probaby due to network settings and yes I realize I should have set up my phone through my home computer...blah..blah..blah..but I didn't). Anyway, can I download it from another site onto my phone? I'm not having any issues with my phone, but I thought I'd go ahead and download 4.3.3. and get current.

Thanks for any help.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Do you have to download current softward from Itunes. I always have issues with Itunes on my work computer (probaby due to network settings and yes I realize I should have set up my phone through my home computer...blah..blah..blah..but I didn't). Anyway, can I download it from another site onto my phone? I'm not having any issues with my phone, but I thought I'd go ahead and download 4.3.3. and get current.

Thanks for any help.

You can download it from other sources, although I don't know where you would get it. You can probably just Google around but make sure the source is reputable to be hosting it. But then you need to use iTunes to update the iPhone. When you are ready I think it works like a restore; for PC hold down shift when you click "update" and it will open the file explorer and let you tell it which iOS file to use for the update. For Mac I think it's the apple key, someone with a Mac can make sure for you.

If it's a work supplied phone you could speak to your network admins about your iTunes and iPhone problems. Or possibly even get them to update it for you, with their admin accounts they should have no restrictions on their computers.

Reactions: Itsfoxy

Itsfoxy

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! Unfortunately it is not a work phone, but whenever I want to download anything from Itunes it blocks me. I can do most everything else like backing up, contacts, etc..

Another ??. By doing it this way will this restore my phone back to factory settings?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Thanks! Unfortunately it is not a work phone, but whenever I want to download anything from Itunes it blocks me. I can do most everything else like backing up, contacts, etc..

Another ??. By doing it this way will this restore my phone back to factory settings?

No, nothing will be reset. The first step of any update is also a back up in case the update fails you can restore it right back. Why not update at home if you have problems with iTunes at work? Or are you syncing with your work PC?

Itsfoxy

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I sync with my work PC. Can I download from Itunes from my home PC even though I don't sync at home?

BTW I am not jailbroken and wonder if downloading from another source requires me to be.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I sync with my work PC. Can I download from Itunes from my home PC even though I don't sync at home?

BTW I am not jailbroken and wonder if downloading from another source requires me to be.

I'm not an expert in dual syncing but it can be done. The most important part to remember is that the iPhone only syncs with one iTunes library at a time. So you could sync media at home and contacts/calenders at work. If you search the forums I know I've seen someone spell out how to do it before. You have disable auto syncing and all that and make sure iTunes is configured properly on each machine.

Jailbreaking doesn't matter at all with any of this stuff. If the content plays in iTunes it will play on the iPhone; the source does not matter at all. Probably less than 5% of the many many GB of media I have came from iTunes.

I'm also team pure for life.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
You get to choose. Here are the steps:
Backup/sync your phone
Download FW to desktop
Open iTunes, hold Shift and click Restore, or Option and Restore on a Mac. (Not Update.)
Browse to your downloaded ipsw and choose it.
iTunes will load the new FW.
When done it will ask if you want to set up as new or restore from backup. Choose backup to reload your data and settings.
Done!

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Backup/sync your phone
Download FW to desktop
Open iTunes, hold Shift and click Restore, or Option and Restore on a Mac. (Not Update.)
When done it will ask if you want to set up as new or restore from backup. Choose backup to reload your data and settings.
Done!

Can you restore from a newer iOS version than what you have?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Depends on what you mean by "restore." When updating to a new firmware, yes?you can use Shift+Restore to load a newer ipsw. But once that is done you usually "restore from backup," which just takes the data from your OLD firmware backup and applies it to your new firmware?giving you back your bookmarks, mail settings, etc.

The only situation where it might not work is if you downgrade?say from 4.0 to 3.1.3?and then try to restore your settings from the 4.0 firmware.

Itsfoxy

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Backup/sync your phone
Download FW to desktop
Done!

Thank you this worked like a charm. So far everything looks good. I was nervous. But, it never even asked me to restore from backup or anything. And when it was done, everything is working fine.

Thank you for all your help with this.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Great! So all your mail settings and so on are there? (That's usually the "restore from backup" part?iTunes will prompt with something like "this phone has been recently synced with this computer" or something similar to let you use a recent backup.)

Just ask if you have other questions.

Reactions: Itsfoxy

Itsfoxy

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, my mail settings are still there..my contacts..music..apps.. I was nervous as hell...but it was easy peasy. Can't thank you enough!

hpcomputergeek

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Search on Google or Bing "felixbruns firmware". Choose the firmware you want to update to. You have to choose the latest firmware on felixbruns! Save the firmware to your desktop and make sure it is a IPSW file. Some machines change the .IPSW to .zip. If it does, save it and change the .zip to .ipsw. After that's done, plug your iPhone into iTunes and hold down shift & click restore. After that, find the firmware you want to install. And let the iPhone restore and it should be done. I hope this helped!:D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods