Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

Default Will buying the iPhone 4 off ebay and then activating it through itunes...?

count as an upgrade?

I'm trying to see if there is a workaround to this, been waiting for that white one, but being stuck with the unlocked bb storm v1 since june is killing me (sold 3GS in hopes of getting the white one).

I'm not due for the $199 upgrade fee till May, so I was thinking of buying a 16gb secondhand, using that in the meantime, wait till summertime and see what/if the iPhone 5 happens. Then I give my sister the black one, and then use the upgrade for myself.

Thanks.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

no it wont you bought the phone out right nothing to do with your ATT contract unless you buy the phone through ATT
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,569 Global Posts

You'll also need to get a microSIM from AT&T. You can try cutting your regular SIM, but I haven't heard to too many successes.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    544 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
    You'll also need to get a microSIM from AT&T. You can try cutting your regular SIM, but I haven't heard to too many successes.
    Ive done two with no problems. Just have to make sure the copper contacts are in the open spot on the sim tray and the card doesnt shift. Takes about 5 minutes.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

No it doesn't count as an upgrade, since you didn't buy the phone thru AT&T. If you buy at full retail from AT&T, that also does not count as an upgrade.
    iPhone Newbie

install limera1n in your iphone 4 to activate but unlock isnt out yet!!