Buying movies from iTunes

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
If you buy a movie from iTunes, can you load it onto your iPhone and your iPad? What about rentals from iTunes?

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
Yes, but only SD versions of movies will play on your iPhone. And if you rent the movie on your iPad, it has to stay on the iPad (don't know why). If you rent the movie on your desktop or iPhone, you can transfer it between devices (but only one 1 device at a time and transfer can be slow). If you buy an HD movie or TV show, they provide both HD and SD copies. You can put the SD copy on your iPhone. I'm not sure but I think if you rent an HD movie then you don't get the SD copy. You can have purchased movies on up to 5 desktop computers authorized with your iTunes account and transfer them to any mobile devices (iPhones, iPods, iPads, or AppleTV's) that sync with those computers.

mattxu5

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
How long does it typically take to download an HD movie on the ipad?
I am using dsl. I ask because I rented the HD version of Slammin Salmon
and the estimated time was over 700 minutes. I won't be renting too many other
movies if this is the typical time frame.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
It really depends on your ISP, your wifi network/router (and your iPad's connection to it), and of course the size of the movie (some are 3GB, some are 5GB). I personally would never download an HD rental directly to my iPad. It goes much quicker over ethernet on my desktop and then I can transfer it anywhere I want (AppleTV or iPad) and I'm not tying up the WiFi or the iPad streaming gigabytes of data. Of course that ties you to your desktop, but for me it's not an issue.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
Which brings up another issue: the iPad really needs to be able to start watching a movie once a sufficient amount has been buffered without having to wait for the entire download to complete. i.e. the way AppleTV works.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Well, if we all attend Berkely, we could download an HD movie in about 2 seconds. They have the fastest bandwidth in the world there.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I rented the recent Star Trek movie and easily just synced it over to my iPad.. HD looked great on the iPad as well.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen