Sync issues with iTunes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Whilst trying to set up my iTunes library to work on my PC (hosting the music) and MacBook (using the same xml library), I appear to have caused something odd to happen to my iPhone's syncing.

Firstly, all the apps that lived on the Mac (where I usually sync the iPhone) and don't live on the iPhone any more, all the apps that are backed up when you remove them, they're gone. I can live with that, I wasn't using them anyway, paid or not.

Now, I have the same music library on the PC and Mac.

When I plug in my iPhone to the Mac the apps don't duplicate themselves into the Applications bit of iTunes.

When the iPhone is plugged in, all the music/videos data etc, is greyed out, I can't delete or change any of it.

I can't drag an iTunes playlist into my iPhone.

What have I done, and how can I fix it?

nb: I have not yet tried syncing with iTunes on the PC - too scared!

PS: Hello, I am new here, formerly a Crackberry forum goer, less since getting an iPhone.

Edit: should add the following.

I'm running the most current iTunes and iPhone OS. Contacts/Calendar, all that stuff, syncs fine. Everything else is greyed out and I don't appear to be able to alter it.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Ah!

Do I have to switch over to manually sync?

If I do that, it says it'll wipe my iPhone and re-install the new library - will this wipe my current apps or just the music and video?

Ta!

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Ah!

Do I have to switch over to manually sync?

If I do that, it says it'll wipe my iPhone and re-install the new library - will this wipe my current apps or just the music and video?

Ta!

Think you may have messed up, iTunes and the iPhone or iPod will only allow you to sync with one computer, It sounds like you tried to sync with both of your machines and that is the root of your problem. Sync your iPhone on your mac and never plug it into your windows machine and you should be fine. You will lose anything that is not backed up though.

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
do not sync to two computers. pick one

I wasn't.
I was trying to sync the iTunes libraries, just for ease of brain confusion.

The iPhone was only going to be synced with the Mac.
In re-doing the iTunes library on both machines, they are both now 'new' libraries, so the iPhone won't sync with the new library unless I tell it to ditch the old one.

I just need to know if re-syncing will lose the Apps on my phone, couldn't care less about the music, that's all backed up. Apps, on the other hand, require more note taking.

Edit: whilst I'm on about it, according to a [website I cannot post as I have less than 10 posts] it is possible to have two iTunes on a network run the same Library and thus you are able to sync the iPod/Phone with both machines. Right now, all I want to know is if the Apps will go bye bye - I'm sure they won't, but well, don't want to risk it without confirmation!

Last edited:

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I wasn't.
I was trying to sync the iTunes libraries, just for ease of brain confusion.

The iPhone was only going to be synced with the Mac.
In re-doing the iTunes library on both machines, they are both now 'new' libraries, so the iPhone won't sync with the new library unless I tell it to ditch the old one.

I just need to know if re-syncing will lose the Apps on my phone, couldn't care less about the music, that's all backed up. Apps, on the other hand, require more note taking.

Edit: whilst I'm on about it, according to a [website I cannot post as I have less than 10 posts] it is possible to have two iTunes on a network run the same Library and thus you are able to sync the iPod/Phone with both machines. Right now, all I want to know is if the Apps will go bye bye - I'm sure they won't, but well, don't want to risk it without confirmation!

Okay yeah I see what you did. You are going to lose anything that is not in the new library. So yes you are going to lose the apps. And no I do not think that there is a way to do what you are asking. You just need to stick with one machine

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Okay yeah I see what you did. You are going to lose anything that is not in the new library. So yes you are going to lose the apps. And no I do not think that there is a way to do what you are asking. You just need to stick with one machine

I have just re-synced with the new library, apps remain as I haven't clicked 'sync applications' on iTunes, however, I expect if I want to keep a back-up of my Apps for the future, I'll need to click it...

I get the feeling the App Store is going to want to re-charge me for all of the paid ones though, which I am not looking forward to. (Although it appears to be re-downloading all my purchased apps for me for free, hooray for something working properly!)

It's easy to have both iTunes point to one Library, and useful, keeps things organised. Just need to remember to only use one iTunes at a time.

Last edited:

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I have just re-synced with the new library, apps remain as I haven't clicked 'sync applications' on iTunes, however, I expect if I want to keep a back-up of my Apps for the future, I'll need to click it...

I get the feeling the App Store is going to want to re-charge me for all of the paid ones though, which I am not looking forward to. (Although it appears to be re-downloading all my purchased apps for me for free, hooray for something working properly!)

It's easy to have both iTunes point to one Library, and useful, keeps things organised. Just need to remember to only use one iTunes at a time.

If you have paid for the apps and they under your account you will not have to pay for them again, just need to re download them. Glad you got it all worked out though.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73